I don't want to be "the guy" anymore

msmooth

• Members

I am in a 4 piece band playing a mixture of classic rock, country and oldies. Guitar, bass, drums and keys. I play guitar and do 1/2 of lead vocals. I have come to realize that I do not enjoy playing lead guitar. I find my soloing to be boring. I try to find songs without solos and get my keyboardist to solo as often as possible. I do feel that I am a very competant 2nd/rythm guitarist.

I feel stuck, because 2 of the other guys don't really want to go to 5 people. But I think I am going to ask them to consider it. What I need is a lead guitarist/saxaphonist/steel player who can play a bit of harmonica and fiddle.

• Members

You could start learning the other instruments and be that guy. A friend of mine taught himself keys over the last couple years and is now reasonably competent on it, for most material.

• Members

Is this a joke?

Who's handling saxophone, steel, harmonica, and fiddle currently?

No one is, he wants to add a "lead guitarist/saxaphonist/steel player who can play a bit of harmonica and fiddle."

• Members

I am in a 4 piece band playing a mixture of classic rock, country and oldies. Guitar, bass, drums and keys. I play guitar and do 1/2 of lead vocals. I have come to realize that I do not enjoy playing lead guitar. I find my soloing to be boring. I try to find songs without solos and get my keyboardist to solo as often as possible. I do feel that I am a very competant 2nd/rythm guitarist.

I feel stuck, because 2 of the other guys don't really want to go to 5 people. But I think I am going to ask them to consider it. What I need is a lead guitarist/saxaphonist/steel player who can play a bit of harmonica and fiddle.

Another guitarist sounds like it would be the best solution. Sell them on it. One selling point,1: It opens up many song possibilities. B) Can allow for rhythm gtrist(you) to focus on the vocal, having the other guy playing rhythm. Often, a good thing.

Me? I hate working with a 2nd guitar(USUALLY!) so I'd prob look at it as a motivator to improve my leads.

• Members

I sometimes feel that way about my lead playing. I will be the first to tell someone that I'm a pretty good rhythm guitarist, but solos? Just not my forte. I'm okay. I can bend notes pretty well in tune, but I'm not very flashy.

Sometimes, I feel like it's a chore and I *have* to be the guitar hero now. But I also don't think I suck at them. I just have high standards and wish I either could play them better or we could have someone else in the band that played bass so my cousin could switch back to lead guitar (which he is excellent at). Maybe that will happen in the future.

One way to spice things up as the reluctant lead guitarist is to play solos from other instruments on the guitar. Do the harmonica solo, just on guitar. Wail on the sax, but on the guitar. Fiddle? Kind of hard, but somewhat doable on the guitar. It just might inspire you to play better and guitar might become more interesting for you again.

• Members

Take out the solos, make the songs shorter and play more songs. Most solos are superflueous devices designed to either stretch out a tune or just break up the monotony anyway. Your audience isn't going to miss most of them. They'd probably prefer more 'song-packed' sets.

• Members

Tell your bandmates. Tailor the songlist to de-emphasize your solos. There are plenty of good songs out there without solos. If it means keeping the band at 4 pieces (and dividing the money as such) I'm sure they'll work with you.

I am in the same situation as you--4-piece band, I'm the sole guitarist, I sing 1/2 the material. When I consider material to add, "how many solos do I have" doesn't even come to mind. However, if the solos are in the song, I learn them.

Plain fact of the matter? 95% of the audience doesn't notice or care if you nail the solos or not. Don't sweat it. Keep the show flowing, smile for the crowd, and don't worry so much.

Archived