Open mic experience: out of tune CHUMPS

wades_keys

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As a side note, I really never saw the definitions of "open mic" and "jam session" as different until someone pointed it out on this thread.

Oh, absolutely, man! I think that's where Wade's problem started.

"Open mic" - bring your act and perform it in a slot. Maybe it's a band, a solo, whatever -- but it's your slot to display your talent. It's not a jam session. Don't sit in unless invited.

"Open jam" - everyone can play. Bring your gear and hop in. But don't bring your band and try to show off your original songs.

Problem 1.

Wade went to an open mic and wanted to jam.

Problem 2.

He saw a boys' club and tried to get himself to sit in. He wasn't invited.

Problem 3.

They were hacks.

Problem 4.

He then made some massively derailed topic about original bands based upon his bad experience last night, which is laughable and foolish at most. He ate one apple with a bad spot and just swore off the entire apple orchard industry. Silly.

The point here is to know what you're walking into and be prepared to play ball according to the rules. If I was playing at some open mic with my original tunes and some random guy came in and said "hey, let me play bass," I'd tell him "no," too.

• Moderators

Oh, absolutely, man! I think that's where Wade's problem started.

"Open mic" - bring your act and perform it in a slot. Maybe it's a band, a solo, whatever -- but it's your slot to display your talent. It's not a jam session. Don't sit in unless invited.

"Open jam" - everyone can play. Bring your gear and hop in. But don't bring your band and try to show off your original songs.

Problem 1.

Wade went to an open mic and wanted to jam.

Problem 2.

He saw a boys' club and tried to get himself to sit in. He wasn't invited.

Problem 3.

They were hacks.

Problem 4.

He then made some massively derailed topic about original bands based upon his bad experience last night, which is laughable and foolish at most. He ate one apple with a bad spot and just swore off the entire apple orchard industry. Silly.

The point here is to know what you're walking into and be prepared to play ball according to the rules. If I was playing at some open mic with my original tunes and some random guy came in and said "hey, let me play bass," I'd tell him "no," too.

yes

• Members

I occasionally back up a couple of different local guys on upright, or sometimes dobro, at open mics.

But only if they ask me ahead of time.

We've played together before and I'm at least familiar with their songs.

Sometimes, another performer will like what they hear and request I sit in with them.

I'll do so when asked if we can go outside, tune, and rehearse a bit before we go up.

Sometimes I'll work up a cover(ain't got an original song in my body) to play by myself on guitar or uke, if thats allowed.

• Members

Open mikes are for individual "acts". Jam sessions are for different musicians to play with either the host band or with whoever gets called up to play at the same time. One thing that open mikes and jam sessions have in common is that you sign a list and go up to play when your name is called.

One of my regular gigs is playing with a band that hosts a jam every Thursday night at a restaurant bar about five miles from my house. It has been happening about three years. It is a paid gig for the host band. There is a list to sign where folks write down their name, their instrument(s), and whether they sing or not. We play about twenty minutes and then start calling people up. We provide the amplifiers and drums. But sometimes guitar players bring their own amplifiers. Members of the host band play or take breaks depending on which instruments are called up. The goal of the host band musician is to play as little as possible. If there are several guitar players in the house I get to take lots of breaks. Same with the bass player and drummer. But when there aren't many of a particular instrument the person in the host band who plays that instrument may end up playing most of the night. Though if there aren't many bass players I might play a set or two on bass so the bass player can take a break. Each "set" is three songs. Depending on how many folks show up and which instruments they play sometimes somebody might get to play two sets in a row. And if you get there early and are willing to sit and wait you might get to play once early in the night and once later in the night. Basically we go down the list. Though we try to get folks up who are compatible with each other. And we also try to get at least one or two folks up who have more experience than the others to help things run smoothly. But if you sign the list you will get to play.

Just coming up and plugging in without being asked isn't tolerated. You will be asked to sit down.

• Members

But when there aren't many of a particular instrument the person in the host band who plays that instrument may end up playing most of the night. Though if there aren't many bass players I might play a set or two on bass so the bass player can take a break.

The ones I've been to have had on the list about 10 electric guitarists, one or two acoustic solo acts, one drummer, one bass player, and a harmonica player with a case of harmonicas who wants to sit in on every song.

• Members

Wade..seriously...you went to an open mic, stormed the stage, started playing bass with an original act, got your plugged pulled and someone had to explain to you that it wasn't a blues jam? I'm gonna try to extend you some credit here and assume you were totally {censored}ing wasted when this happened.

• Members

...so I am at a open mic with some friends...just having fun and jamming like old times, our families are there, our friends, we are having our back to glory day moment when this asshole jumps on stage with his bass, plugs in, and starts {censored}ing up the whole thing! He starts mumbling something about tunning and {censored} so I just unplug him and send him on his way! Can you believe the prick!? He is lucky my family was there or else I would've kicked his ass!

It got even funnier when he came back later, when we were done, and started playing some anoying {censored}, half drunk up there, my wife started laughing since the whole thing was kinda entertaining...can't believe there are people like that out there! :)

Just offering another possible perspective...

Rod

• Members

Open mikes are for individual "acts". Jam sessions are for different musicians to play with either the host band or with whoever gets called up to play at the same time. One thing that open mikes and jam sessions have in common is that you sign a list and go up to play when your name is called.

One of my regular gigs is playing with a band that hosts a jam every Thursday night at a restaurant bar about five miles from my house. It has been happening about three years. It is a paid gig for the host band. There is a list to sign where folks write down their name, their instrument(s), and whether they sing or not. We play about twenty minutes and then start calling people up. We provide the amplifiers and drums. But sometimes guitar players bring their own amplifiers. Members of the host band play or take breaks depending on which instruments are called up. The goal of the host band musician is to play as little as possible. If there are several guitar players in the house I get to take lots of breaks. Same with the bass player and drummer. But when there aren't many of a particular instrument the person in the host band who plays that instrument may end up playing most of the night. Though if there aren't many bass players I might play a set or two on bass so the bass player can take a break. Each "set" is three songs. Depending on how many folks show up and which instruments they play sometimes somebody might get to play two sets in a row. And if you get there early and are willing to sit and wait you might get to play once early in the night and once later in the night. Basically we go down the list. Though we try to get folks up who are compatible with each other. And we also try to get at least one or two folks up who have more experience than the others to help things run smoothly. But if you sign the list you will get to play.

Just coming up and plugging in without being asked isn't tolerated. You will be asked to sit down.

Roy. Lets review:

Mike is a guy who lives across the hall.

Mic is a shortened form of Microphone.

Mike is the guy who did the moonwalk.

Mic is a thing you sing into.

Mike is the tall black guy who made lots of points for the Bulls and had a successful line of sneakers.

Mic is the thing that is open.

Mike and Mic are not the same thing.

• Members

Roy. Lets review:

Mike is the tall black guy who made lots of points for the Bulls and had a successful line of sneakers.

It could be some autocorrect pwnage we are witnessing though...

• Members

Roy. Lets review:

I'm pretty sure both are in common usage. Even if they weren't, it's not worth your time to pretend you didn't know what he was talking about.

• Moderators

Roy. Lets review:

Sorry, both are correct. The abbreviation actually began as "Mike", in 1920's radio as a joke. They named the microphone "Mike". Get it? Then the seriousness of the audio world in the 60's added "mic" as a strict and true abbreviation. But both are common usage today...

Archived