Our Band Needs a Name

SeniorBlues

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Whatever you choose, you definitely need to get the word "soul" in there, so people know ahead of time what kind of music to expect.

Not that it'll do any good. I named my oldies/classic rock trio "Rock This Town" and I still have people coming up the bandstand and asking for top 40 country songs so they can line dance. I give them "Pink Cadillac"; seems to work.

We're trying to include as many genres as we can without being categorized as a variety band. . . . at least that's my impression looking at the always evolving song list. I realize that we're going to get off the wall requests occasionally, no matter what.

I'm beginning to think that all the good "soul" names are taken.

• Members

All the good names are taken, period.

If there isnt a band called
within about 4 hours drive from you, I wouldnt stress it.

As was mentioned earlier, the agent is stressing it. You want your band to come up first on a google search.

Also, consider, for example, if you want to set up something on reverbnation, or just your own "dotcom." . . . . and it's taken.

• Members

Yup, pretty much everything simple is taken by now - seems like the only way to get something completely unique is to come with some unlikely combination of words that have no meaning. Which sucks.

. . . or make it regional. The Chesapeake Soul Conglomeration!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I was in a soul/ska/rock band in the 80's with horns. REM even joined us onstage once. I'll try a few... "The Great Eight", "Soul Survivors"(not so good), "Memphis Grooves", "____ and the Soul Sounds", "_____ Street Soul Sounds", "Rockville Soulsters". Well, I tried.

• Members

We're trying to find something that's not too lame, not too strange, and hasn't been taken. The idea is to get our web pages in whatever form to come up first on a search. The irony of this thread is that if I post the name we decided on, it will come up first, at least until we get some traffic. Maybe it post it in another context, but not on this thread.

• Members

As was mentioned earlier, the agent is stressing it. You want your band to come up first on a google search.

A google search of what?

If people are searching your band name, then they already know who you are. They should have no problem finding you even if there are half-a-dozen other bands across the country with the same name: "Gee, I'm looking for this band I saw in DC the other night called The Has-Beens, but I see there are 10 bands all around the country with that name!" Don't you think their next step would be to search for "The Has-Beens Washington DC"?

With my band (and this may or may not apply to you) I want to come up in Google searches for people looking for a band in the region that either plays a particular type of music or is sutible for a particular kind of event. I'm not worried about the band name being what generates that search particularly. If they are looking for us specifically, they either probably have a business card with the URL or they'll be smart enough to narrow down their search by city/region if they can't find us easily.

Now I could be wrong and am having a difficult time thinking beyond my own situation, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a reason why she thinks people are going to just be googling your band name and why that would be particularly important?

I understand why it would be optimal. But if the only way to find such a name is to find something that is otherwise a hinderence to your ability to market the band or for people to remember your name, then it might actually be a detriment to be so focused on uniqueness.

• Members

We're trying to find something that's not too lame, not too strange, and hasn't been taken. The idea is to get our web pages in whatever form to come up first on a search. The irony of this thread is that if I post the name we decided on, it will come up first, at least until we get some traffic. Maybe it post it in another context, but not on this thread.

the bla bla street band.

Archived