The Moral of the Story?....Enjoy it While You Can!

• Members

So true... I have been revisiting a lot of stuff from my last band/ other band There & Back Again. We are on an indefinite Hiatus. (We all agree if the right gig comes around and we are available we'll do it)

The singer for There & Back Again came out to an Ostrich Hat gig a few weeks ago and it was good to hang out a little with him again. We were very close friends during the 10 years the band was together but since TBA went on "hiatus" in October we haven't talked much.

That night though he told me he doesn't really miss gigging at all. So we brought him up to sing a few tunes... Didn't really change his mind. LOL I do need to call him more though.

Since that night I have been going through old vids and promo stuff we did and there was a lot to like about that band. It kind of gets me down a little because no one wanted to do the work involved to move into wedding/corp/private work- even though it was apparent that our bar gigs were diminishing and some of us were "aging out"

I always say to myself during a good gig "enjoy this cuz it won't last forever" Hell, just last week our bassist told me he's going to 2nd shift for a while... At first we were thinking this is going to really mess with our gig schedule but he is working Sun-Thurs. *whew*

• Members

jeff42 wrote:

Since that night I have been going through old vids and promo stuff we did and there was a lot to like about that band. It kind of gets me down a little because no one wanted to do the work involved to move into wedding/corp/private work- even though it was apparent that our bar gigs were diminishing and some of us were "aging out"

I can totally feel this.. it's the reason I'm trying to put together a second project!

• Members

what genre?  There's classic rock, and there's classic rock.  At the mid-life age, there's not much else.. Sure I could go do jazz or something, but I'd have to travel two hours just to find people to play with.  I live in the sticks, and out there there's two things.  Old rock and new rock.  Oh, and country.. music to commit suicide to.

• Members

If you love the music you're playing enough, then it shouldn't really matter when and where you play it and for how much.. 

If you love the when and the where and the for how much, then the music you play shouldn't really matter. 

Ideally, we'd all love to have it all.  The best of all possible worlds.  Of course.  That's part of the human condition and what drives us. 

But life is rarely about finding those perfections.  Perfect jobs, perfect marriages, perfect bands, perfect gigs....how many of us find ANY of those?  You take what you can get and you make the best of the rest.   And certain things get harder as we age?  What else is new. 

Archived