Food vs Music

• Members

Two short articles that offer another theory about the reason for the demise of music.  Not sure I buy it - they appeal to difference senses. (I was going to say "apples and oranges", but that introduces a bias.)

http://soundcheck.wnyc.org/blogs/soundcheck-blog/2012/may/23/food-vs-music/

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-05-10/entertainment/39159631_1_sweetlife-chicago-white-sox-sweetgreen

• Members

Interesting premise for an article to promote food, but I'm not really buying it.  It might be true for a small subset of people, but hardly can be applied to the public at large.  Let me guess...writer(s) must be a typically myopic boomer who thinks all culture revolves around his generation?

The biggest problem with the premise is it presumes that without the foodie culture, these people would still be listening to rock.  That completely ignores the age factor.  The cultural obsession with rock has always been based around youth.  I don't know too many teenage foodies.  Isn't it more likely that these people outgrew rock music and THEN moved on to becoming foodies?

• Members

The bottom line of lack of interest is manifest.

The foodie culture is not in direct competition with the party band culture. Nor is the movie goer's culture. Nor is the fix-it-yourself culture (75 people attended the "installing your new sink yourself" seminar at Lowe's here in town.) It's manifest....there's always something to do.

And culturally, there just isn't much interest in live music. And it's a million reasons all bunched together.

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

So what you are saying is people are less interested in watching, and more interested in doing..

our house gig is a bit of a foodie hang out.   The goal is to be different and do things that most of the seafood joints dont do.  Every margarita is hit with liquid nitrogen and comes to the table lookin like they are smoking.  We have a 3 pound burger and do all kinds of stuff to cater to the foodies who want somthing special along with a good show.    Most places down here are what I call turn and burn,,,, we try to provide a while evening of great food, good friends and live music.    These people are off the hook.  A buddy of mine caught a bull shark and they cooked it  up for us.   They cant sell wild game , but they will cook it up for you..   Dove diablo is great stuff.  

• Members

Well it all feeds on itself. I don't agree with the above articles on the whole. It's more ,**** pay, less gigs means the really good players I played with 20 years ago have all retired, moved onto teaching or another full time career. What's left are largly part time, mediocre players and the resulting "band" is ****. I'd rather hear a DJ than most of what I've seen and heard out there. This is even worse, considering the fact that todays popular music is largely simpler and more dumbed down than even the classic rock and 90's that we used to play. Sad Sad state. I moved onto playing exclusively Solo acoustic 10 years out of disgust and seeing the writing on the wall, ago although I alwayd played solo in conjunction with bands. I suspect many people did the same for the same reasons. 

I would say the Heyday of really good bands is over. The kids coming up today are into a lot of different things and i'm sure Live music will make a comback at some point but most of us will be too old and out of it by then. Such is life and the way of the world.

Archived