what do do when there is an empty room

jeff42

• Members

Had a God awful night last night. For about 1/2 hour we played to 3 people.. my girlfriend her brother and our bassist's girlfriend.

So what can you do? I say, make the best out of it and do an impromptu blues jam.

I give you... The Ostrich Hat blues. 

A few people arrives for our last set... (a bachelorette party but all in all the night still sucked.)

• Members

LOL Thats kind of what we did. they cut us an hour early but got full pay. It was an early gig to begin with 7pm-11pm. We got off around 10:15pm. We have played this place several times before and it was always a good night.

Last night... not so much. 

• Members

This is my "silly season" musically speaking ... one project has a half dozen late summer/early fall weddings booked, the other project is in the middle of our annual "Churh Tour" (which is basically us making the rounds at Catholic Church festival beer tents.   Wedding crowds are wedding crowds ... and beer tents are beer tents ... and the fact is that Friday and Saturday night beer tents do fantastic when the weather is right. 

We've been enjoying good crowds lately....and damn, not a moment too soon.   We saw our share of down nights back in winter and spring months.  I can definitely relate to empty rooms.  

These days, I'm very thankful that niether of the projects I work with implode when we find ourselves playing to a dead room.  I've also come to realize that not imploding in the situation is tough for many band/musicians.   Find ways to not implode is definitely on my  "What to do?" list.

I think it's critical to communicate that you and your bandmates and having fun - and truly mean it.   Even if there's only a handful of audience, we find that we can have a blast in our own right if we drop the intensity a bit - and increase the improvizational content.  We all get a little more loose.  In the end our sound loses a bit of the focus on dancers and becomes a very solid listen.  

For us, it seems to make the best of the situation - and not feel like we're not hitting the mark.  More often than not we can usually point to numerous bright spots at the end of the night ... and have met/made more than a few new fans that way. 

• Members

Dead time of us here on south padre island. We had a third year in biz party at the bar today. The front guy did his solo show in the after noon ,, then played a little for the few people dining. We didnt put the full band set up tonight. Musicans are getting laid off till the winter people come down all over town. Its that time of year. I still got my tue night show till oct at least,, and a concert with the main band the end of the month and then we got a couple weeks blacked out with more front man biz.......Its a great time of year to have the things slow down. Its way better to just be a guy in the band than it is to be the lead horse I play for. When he gets busy with the biz end of things we get to kick back and wait to see what going to go down next.

• Members

I told the bouncer on Wednesday I could bounce out and take a cut if they wanted. He said no, because he liked the music. Apparently there was a group enjoying it just inside the door to the patio, too. But from where I stood I was playing to the bouncer, my wife, and my dad. I offered the out, I figure that was all I could do.

• Members

A place one of my groups played in the mid-90's was owned by a Greek immigrant. He booked his bands for 4 nights, Wed-Sat. 9-1:30, I think. And it didn't matter if there had been nobody but the staff in the place since 11:00, he made you play 'til 1:30. Wanted to get his money's worth. (Made for some LONG weeks, as I was working a full-time job at the same time, sometimes having to work overtime at the day gig on Saturdays!)

My current band played at a new venue this past Friday night. Expectations were low for us, what with it being a Friday night, in a town we hadn't played prior, and with the onset of high school football. Our bassist rode with me to the gig, and we were talking about the potential of nobody being there, and I told him something to the effect of, whether there's 10 people there or 1000, it doesn't change the value of the cover charge each person pays to get in the door. So we should play the same, regardless. And that is a hard thing to do. But I stressed that this should be a goal we set for ourselves; to not let the circumstances affect OUR performance. Thought it was a pretty good mantra.

(Incidentally, we ended up with about 70 folks, which was a fairly decent crowd for a first time. And a lot of them stayed the whole time, and complimented us afterward. Even more rewarding, considering the fact that we were without one of our female vocalist, who was home sick.)

jamieb

+++++

• Moderators

"When someone is lying, their inner emotional state is affected by their knowledge of the truth and their awareness that they are lying, and those emotions lead to nonverbal behavior inconsistent with their story." - John Neffinger

It's why we feel so bad for the band jumping around putting on a high energy "show" when there are 3 people in the house. It's a lie, so everyone feels silly and awkward,

However, projecting boredom is irresponsible. That's not why we've been hired. But performing in a way that reflects the reality of the moment makes sense and us going to be the most fun for the band, the staff, and the growing audience.

So what's the reality? Well, there is someone there. And you're there. Right away there is a potential, honest chemistry between what you can do, and what they might enjoy.

Explore that.

Flashing lights, cranking it, doing the FallOutBoy bass around the body move. These are all lies. Play to the circumstance. And make some real music for that moment.

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

"When someone is lying, their inner emotional state is affected by their knowledge of the truth and their awareness that they are lying, and those emotions lead to nonverbal behavior inconsistent with their story." - John Neffinger

It's why we feel so bad for the band jumping around putting on a high energy "show" when there are 3 people in the house. It's a lie, so everyone feels silly and awkward,

This is so well put.  I played a totally dead gig last wednesday.  I recorded and I could hear it in my voice.  It wasn't until some people I knew came in that I lit up.  I am not sure whether the few people who were there could tell, but I could tell on the recording.  I considered it hugely unprofessional of me.  You helped me see I was just being genuine lol

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

However, projecting boredom is irresponsible. That's not why we've been hired. But performing in a way that reflects the reality of the moment makes sense and us going to be the most fun for the band, the staff, and the growing audience.

So what's the reality? Well, there is someone there. And you're there. Right away there is a potential, honest chemistry between what you can do, and what they might enjoy.

Explore that.

Flashing lights, cranking it, doing the FallOutBoy bass around the body move. These are all lies. Play to the circumstance. And make some real music for that moment.

Yessssssssss!!

Archived