Future live band Options

Kevin T

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

As long as you give a kid a guitar, another kid some drums, a third kid a bass and a 4th kid a mic, there will be live music.

It finds a way.

What we are seeing is cut down bands.  Skinny gigs take a cut down band.  The first guy to go overboard is the sound man and after him the drummer.   You need a min of two people who can sing.   My side gig is lead guitar/lead vocals with a modeler pod, no amp.   Keys DI'd  / back up vocals.   Bass backlined/ back up vocals ,, looped drums.  Its the most sound with the least number of guys you can get from my point of view,

Live drums are nice ,but its hard to get a fuller sound with a traditional power trio.  

• Members

Kevin T wrote:

Jeff can u suggest a place close to nwnj we could try

Sorry Kevin I cant really. i only play in Pennsylvania. the closest I get to NW NJ is a few places about 1/2 hour from the boarder like Pocono Pines & Tannersville area

• Members

Kevin, 

There are only 3 venues in Northern NJ I can think of that have or had bands in the last 4-5 years. Orange Lantern in Paramus.... Mexicali Blues in Tennack and one place in Hackensack the The Pottin Sill. The smaller places I'm not really sure of. NWNJ is a black hole... there isn't much of a nightlife after 10pm. We play the Greenville Inn just across the boarder from Port Jervis and we've had people drive from Mt. Arlington and Sparta. 30-45 minutes away. Just not much in that area at all for live music I guess.

• Members

I suggest moving! That Entire state is a black hole!! I was born there and I'm forced to go there about five times a year because of my stepchildren and can't stand every second of it!! Ymmv

Anyway live music is far from going away anytime soon or probably ever. Making a living as a live musician is getting more difficult however and will continue to do so. Most bands will be relegated to part time playing status with members who have day jobs because the full-time musicians will not be able to be supported. People will always want to go out and see live musical entertainment and that's a given but the venues where they can see this live entertainment will be limited, so as far as bands go in the better market you want to go see the best of the best playing. Beyond that the future to me looks like it's solo and duo with tracks if you're going for a band sound. And with technology today it will be very doable. I believe you're going to see that expanding to more and more markets as far as paying gigs go. I also believe you going to see more markets go toward the Nashville model or it's a small base pay for bands and musicians and a big tipping push. If it comes to that for cover work those of us you can do solo work and want the guaranteed money will probably move over to that model more and more. I'm just riffing here anyway those are my thoughts.

• Members

I am not sure that watching bands on smartphones is the future.  The objective of going to a live band gig is that there are people there.  A band is like a snowball.  It attracts people and then the people attract people.

If there is a gap, it seems to be that social media doesn't fulfill the need to connect the unplugged people (like me).  I get a night off and I want to go see a band.  I know a few people who might be playing, but I have a hard time googling bands/gigs that I don't know.  The free papers used to meet that need for me, but in our town, it is difficult to find that one place online where I can find someone playing in some dive somewhere that might be interesting to check out.  If the smartphone will have any infulence on this, it should be to make it easier to flag live music in places where the club doesn't deliberately advertise or participate in social media.

One thing that I think is pretty cool, though.  I have a couple freinds who did this online dating sort of band hook up.  They met the other players on some website.  Then they play gigs in some warehouse that is essentially a private party.  They invite people, who have to rsvp.  You pay some kind of donation when you get in (like $10/head or $15/couple) and then it was a BYOB place, but with kegs I think.  I thought it was alot like iTunes.  You don't need a record deal to distribute your own music.  You don't need a night club if you have your own following.

That particular "venue" did have a streaming webcam thing so you could check out who was playing or if there was a good crowd.  It was really creative I thought.

The organizers were artists, so they were cool with building a stage and having people some to hang out in their space.  There were no wait people or cash registers.  They just covered the cost of the kegs paid the band a normal gig kind of rate and then used the rest to offset the cost of heating the space and the bandwidth or something.

Archived