What type of solo rig do you use?

souldonor

• Members

It seems you equate solo with acoustic. I don't, and stopped carrying my acoustic guitar to gigs and use the Boss acoustic pedal on my board for the few "acoustic" songs I do in my gigs. My usual guitar is a Stat or Tele. Amp is a Fender Blues Deluxe 40W for smaller venues and more often my new Egnater Renegade 65W half-stack. The volume knobs do work! Guitar amps and vocals are mic'd thru a Peavey 1200W mixer/amp PA.

Take a listen and let me know what you think:

"Acoustic":

electric:

more electric:

___________________________________________________________________________________________

• Members

I use both a Behringer combo amp (acoustic guitar and mic), and a small Fender PA, last saturday I played a straight acoustic set with no mic...and I have a Bose compact on the way...so where is the "all of the above" option? :-)

• Members

Small solo gigs/busking - Guild Jf-4 (6 string), Taylor 355 (12-string), Shure SM-58 mic, Hohner harmonicas w/ Lee Oskar rack, Texas Toetapper II (foot percussion), Crate Limo50 mini PA

Larger solo gigs/band gigs - Guild Jf-4 (6 string), Taylor 355 (12-string), Shure SM-58 mic. Hohner harmonicas w/ Lee Oskar rack, Texas Toetapper II (foot percussion), Carvin PA1200 powered mixer, Carvin LM12 cabs, whichever monitor is handy (I have several!), sometimes a couple of small subs (usually only if working w/ bass and percussion, rarely w/o).

Last "absolutely unplugged" gig was about 20 years ago, due to a power shortage. :lol:

• Members

Guitar into Harmony-g into small mixer, Mic into harmony-g into mixer, Partners guitar into acoustic processer into mixer, partners mic into mixer - mixer into Bose L1 Compact. changed from traditional P.A. to Bose about a year ago - couldn't be happier.

• Members

I have used

Mackie 808m

Peavey 8 channel (don't remember model)

Behrenger 8 channel (")

SWR California Blonde w/ Blonde on Blonde extension cab,

Marshall AC100

Marshall AC50

Genz Benz Shenendoah

Fender Acoustonic

House PA

straight acoustic

Now I use the Bose L1 Compact and I love it. I am working on my wife to get the full L1 system, but the L1 is more than enough for my situation.

• Members

I have been doing some trials. i have a fishman platinum pre that I WANT to use because I paid too much for it a long time ago and it mostly sits in a drawer. But, the guitar seems to sound better straight. it is a yamaha LD that has a piezo and a contact pickup in it. I have always hated the piezo sound, so I am sort of addicted to the contact pickup. It only has 4 knobs, treble, bass, volume and mix. I read some bad reviews, but I get a pretty cool sound straight into the board. I had a small yamaha mixer and some 300 watt powered 12" speakers that I bought from a family member who is a DJ a long time ago. I am also trying out a digitech looper.

This past weekend, I backed up a lady at church and I plugged that fishman in and it sounded like ass. I had everything about 50% and just wasn't able to get the crispness that I got from just a direct box into the house PA. granted, I haven't spent enough time messing with it at home, but it seems like another battery to change is too high a price if it doesn't sound alot better.

• Members

I use way too much, but love the sound too much to give it up. My rig for a performance as a duo is:

Peavey PV14 mixing board

Kustom KPM4100 amp

(2) Yamaha MSR100 speakers (monitors)

(2) EV SX100+e speakers

The mixing board and amp (in cases) each get strapped to the top of an EV speaker case and both Yamaha speakers are in one case, so it's not too many trips. With two people, a couple of trips gets everything in.

• Members

I have quite alot of PA equipment and scale the PA according to the gig and I favour the smaller lightweight rigs.

The smallest rig up to 125 ppl:

(2) EV Force Monitors on stands, powered by a 250 watt per channel Yamaha PD2500 without subs.

(1) Old Mackie mint condition DFX-6

(1) 15" lightweight sub powered using an old Soundtech PS1300 on one channel and both tops on the other channel when using a sub.

(1) DBX223XL Crossover

The most often used mid sized scalable rig 150-300 ppl:

(2-4) JBL MRX512ms on stands powered by a QSC-1804

(1-2) 15" lightweight subs or Yorkville LS608 subs powered by Carver PM1400.

(1) Old Mackie mint condition DFX-12

(1) DBX-223XL Crossover.

I only use the large rig touring rig with a band in venues up to 1000 ppl.

Archived