Anyone doing a Valentine's Day gig?

Terry Allan Hall

• Members

Got two, for sure...a restaurant from 11am 'til 1:30pm, then a nursing home @ 2:30, 'til 3:30.

In addition, got a call last night from another restaurant inquiring if I was available from 7 'til 9 this evening, due to a last-minute cancellation...gave them some numbers of folks that I felt could help 'em out, but that if they still needed me, to let me know by 4pm, as it's quite a drive from the NH to their restaurant.

Told the wife she might have to get her Valentine's Day Date on the 15th...she just rolled her eyes, smirked and answered "And how is this different than the last 16 Valentine's Days"?

She's a good sport. :love:

Who else will be aiding and abbeting Cupid today?

valentines1.jpg

• Members

Tonight at 9pm. Not for valentines but every Tuesday night at on of the local bars. Pretty slow night, but better than sitting at home.

Do you use Twitter to advertise your gig(s)? I've had decent response using it...what I do in my "tweets" is suggest a "theme" (last gig was red t-shirts) and I then count up the folks who are dressed as suggested...pretty cool! ;)

Free and only takes a few minutes to do...and the number of people who "follow" you (on Twitter) grows...in about a year or so, I've gone from maybe 20 to a little over 450 locally (North Texas), and another 50 or so in distant markets (recently found out one is in Finland...how cool is that?)

• Members

Doing our 5th one today. I give our clients a discount if they have the party NOT on Valentines Day, and since many of our gigs are for retired people, they gladly pick a day or a few before the actual day.

same here,

i get more money for the actual holiday date. played 2 valentine parties last weekend. playing tonight thurs-fri-sat this week for valentine parties.

then i can put my red guitars away and get ready for the mardigras parties (gold,purple guitars)....then it will be st. patrick parties before you know it.

• Members

Ended up doing the 3rd one, after all...and got a good idea from a member of the audience: next year, I'm going to try to hustle up some "Singing Valentine" gigs (like a singing telegram gig, basically...this guy told me that he has one sent to whoever he's dating/going out with every year and that he pays $100. :eek: )...

My wife's thinking that, with a little careful "organizational-mojo" (that's HER talent), this could be a VERY profitable enterprise...line up the Valentine customer through an ad in the local newspapers, if sufficient response come in that I can't do them all (quite possible in a larger metroplex), have more than one person involved, with each person cover a given area, charge the client the fee in advance, pay the performer 75%, while she pockets the other 25% for setting each visit up, and make some decent coin!

Performers could dress in tuxes, like Cupid, or whatever character the customer wants...because it's mostly done at the recipient's job, each visit takes, at most, about 10 minutes, so if you work a downtown area of offices, a performer could easily make bou coups in a day...

Archived