How processed is your performance?

chemikool

• Members

1) Do you guys/gals soak your vocals in hall reverb set to 90 percent? Dry as a bone? Why (if appropriate)?

2) Long delays? Short delays? Programmed via midi? or something like a pod/ipad/floorpod? Why (if appropriate)?

3) What kind of eq/dynamics processing do you have on your act? Why (if appropriate)?

1) I'm almost always 90% dry on both guitar/keys and vocals, and it's never a hall but usually a plate.

2) Solo/Duo - little to none unless it is essential to the song (Run Like Hell, any U2 song...etc), I have my floor unit with all the basics, etc...but I don't use it very much solo/duo.

3) I usually drop out the lowest octave on the graphic eq (10band) - I'll compress the vocals just a touch...but not too much...it's all in the mic technique.

• Members

A little reverb, a little delay, and I don't mess with the settings. Same for all songs, vocals, flute and wind synth. RP-355 on the guitar, but mostly a Twin Reverb amp sim and a bit of "spring" reverb.

Absolutely no compression on the PA - my dynamics are intentional.

Entire PA goes through a BBE Sonic Maximizer. The Sonic Maximizer isn't much of a processor though, it's more of a frequency selective pre-delay to compensate for the inherent characteristics of a speaker's voice coil.

• Members

I'll bet I win for the most processing:love:

Each vocal channel goes through ...

Multi-band (4 band) compression comprised of 3 crossovers and 4 compressors

then into a harmonizer/pitch correction/vocal doubler (Reason Neptune)

that signal is then fed in parallel to a digital reverb, a digital delay line and a Pulverizer (which adds harmonic distortion and additional compression)

I know ... it sounds completely overboard but I'm only using a tiny amount of each (except when I want a "special effect") and It's only because I can. I'm using Reason 6 as my mixer so all of this stuff is built in. I've never had the luxury of having so much firepower available as it would have cost a small fortune if you tried to do all of this by conventional means.

• Members

A little reverb, a little more on the guitar. Like Terry, I want it as naturally sounding as possible. If you listen to modern recordings, most vocals these days have very little drip on them. I heard a solo guy a few weeks ago, and he had so much reverb it just sounded dank-like he was playing in a sewer or something. When I recorded my records, the engineer used reverb to place things in the mix, which he called "imaging". By panning and varying use of reverb, you could close your eyes, listen to it and hear and "see" the band nearly in 3D, with it sounding like it was surrounding you.

• Members

fx~~brite plate reverb with a hair of delay on both vox and acoustic. I use a little morereverb than others probably do here on the forum.

EQ~~Little bass boost overall and no other eq except -3 at 2.5k to 3k

More Guitar fx ~~have a delay preset, chorus preset, and lead preset for the acoustic i sometimes use for leads when the looper is going.

home made stomp box going into an eq pedal.

• Members

not a lick of effects on the acoustic duo - eq for room/speaker placement/mic selection and that's it. (we cut our teeth in the over-processed bar band scene of the 80's)

I'm not convinced going from one extreme to another is any better. I hate the sound of acoustic guitars that are too dry. The natural sound of an acoustic guitar is a resonance much like reverb that gets lost through speakers unless you're using microphones on them, and even then I still like a little verb on them.

But that's just me. WTH do I know?

• Members

I play sometimes with a violinist who insists on playing her superb 200-year-old instrument through an amp so she can drench it with reverb. She absolutely refuses to unplug even when the rest of us are acoustic. Or shut up. Appalling.

• Members
1)
Do you guys/gals soak your vocals in hall reverb set to 90 percent? Dry as a bone? Why (if appropriate)?

2)
Long delays? Short delays? Programmed via midi? or something like a pod/ipad/floorpod? Why (if appropriate)?

3)
What kind of eq/dynamics processing do you have on your act? Why (if appropriate)?

1) I'm almost always 90% dry on both guitar/keys and vocals, and it's never a hall but usually a plate.

2) Solo/Duo - little to none unless it is essential to the song (Run Like Hell, any U2 song...etc), I have my floor unit with all the basics, etc...but I don't use it very much solo/duo.

3) I usually drop out the lowest octave on the graphic eq (10band) - I'll compress the vocals just a touch...but not too much...it's all in the mic technique.

Well, the obvious thing is to EQ the mains for a good flat sound in that particular room, so that would vary from gig to gig. For electric, all my effects are done before hitting the mains. With acoustic, I just add a little of whatever the vocal effect is, usually a light single delay in the 150ms area, I'd guess. And no other processing as a rule. A little reverb on the snare with the full band.

• Moderators

I heard a solo guy a few weeks ago, and he had so much reverb it just sounded dank-like he was playing in a sewer or something. .

Given that most bars in Austin look and smell (and sound!) like a sewer, not a lot of 'verb is needed unless you're playing an outdoor show. So indoors I use just a touch of medium length delay (longer than a slap, shorter than an echo). Outdoors I do the reverse as there's generally very little reverb but usually some slap coming from the nearby buildings.

Terry D.

• Members

A little reverb, a little delay, and I don't mess with the settings. Same for all songs, vocals, flute and wind synth. RP-355 on the guitar, but mostly a Twin Reverb amp sim and a bit of "spring" reverb.

Absolutely no compression on the PA - my dynamics are intentional.

Entire PA goes through a BBE Sonic Maximizer. The Sonic Maximizer isn't much of a processor though, it's more of a frequency selective pre-delay to compensate for the inherent characteristics of a speaker's voice coil.

I'd drop the BBE if I were you. It does nothing good to your sound. I mean this in a polite way.

• Members

I'd drop the BBE if I were you. It does nothing good to your sound. I mean this in a polite way.

My opinion .... I would strongly disagree!

That said ... most times I see them used they are used incorrectly. If the gain staging is correct (which most users do a very poor job of) and you don't over-do it (almost NEVER past 1 o'clock) on the amount I don't think I've ever heard a system (in which the speakers cost less than $1k each) that it didn't improve.

• Members

That type of processing is pretty subjective. You can often "improve" any sound by giving it a teeny boost at, say, 10 or 12k, and people will perceive it as sounding "better." Same with adding a teeny bit of compression. But debating those things might be a different thread.

For processing, I compress the vocals a bit, eq them a teeny bit, add a little (not a lot) bit of hall verb. My acoustic gets the same treatment. My electric goes into a Floor POD Plus, and then into the board and it gets the same treatment. Backing tracks all have fx already, so I don't add anything to them. They go straight in. My keyboard has built-in reverb, so it also goes straight in.

• Members

I use a pair of DSR112's (or one in a very small room), a TC Helicon HarmonyGXT, and a Taylor (Fishman pickup version).

1) Do you guys/gals soak your vocals in hall reverb set to 90 percent? Dry as a bone? Why (if appropriate)?

Enough reverb to add depth, but not obtrusive. If you were listening for it, you would hear it, if not, it would just sound nice.

2) Long delays? Short delays? Programmed via midi? or something like a pod/ipad/floorpod? Why (if appropriate)?

No delay. It just seems too over-the-top for a solo gig for me.

3) What kind of eq/dynamics processing do you have on your act? Why (if appropriate)?

The Harmony G has a built in "auto eq" feature which shapes the tone based on the input signal. I leave this on and it sounds pretty good. There is also a bit of compression that I think the unit puts on the vocals, but it is subtle.

I do use harmony, but with a light touch .... not in-your-face.

Additionally, the DSR speakers have a "contour" switch which adjusts the eq for the volume to provide the same apparent eq to the human ear at all levels. At low levels, I think it emphasizes the low and top a bit.... it sounds good to my ear anyway ;)

Archived