Wedding and who the heck is "Morrissey"?

nchangin

• Members

Hope it's ok to post this here.

Ok I have this wedding dance booked (DJ) and I meet with the couple to be married. They seemed to pick out some good tunes for the grand entrance, have everything scripted out for schedule for the wedding dance have them update the list and email it to me. At the end of the scriptschedule there is a list of bunch of songs. and multiple requests for a band named Morrissey, below are the tunes. I took a listen to them and well uhhhhh *head scratch* I dunno if maybe I have bad taste, but not dance quality tunes I'm thinking????

• Members

The Smiths are Morrissey are {censored}ing legendary in their own right and for what they did. They still have a huge cult following. You should branch out a bit.

Ever heard of Johnny Marr? There's that new Fender Juaguar signature model everyone is swooning about? Yeah he was their guitarist.

• Members

For the most part, Americans "don't get" Morrissey. He a legend in England.

See also the Stone Roses.

Brilliant.

EDIT: If I knew I was going to a wedding with no garter song, chicken song and plenty of Smith's then I would make sure the bride, groom and band were thanked ($) handsomely.

• Members

I played big hair rock and pop in the 80s and thought I knew I lot about a lot of different styles of music. I had never even heard of The Smiths. But I took a job at Tower Records in Las Vegas (not exactly a mecca of "culture" or "alternative lifestyles" back then) in the late 80s and we were selling as many Smiths and Morrissey records as we were Motley Crue or Prince. Yes, it was mostly to kids with ultra-white skin and trenchcoats, but sold a LOT of it nonetheless.

• Members

I played big hair rock and pop in the 80s and thought I knew I lot about a lot of different styles of music. I had never even heard of The Smiths. But I took a job at Tower Records in Las Vegas (not exactly a mecca of "culture" or "alternative lifestyles" back then) in the late 80s and we were selling as many Smiths and Morrissey records as we were Motley Crue or Prince. Yes, it was mostly to kids with ultra-white skin and trenchcoats, but sold a LOT of it nonetheless.

The Smiths were kind of like the precursor to today's emo music. Remember everyone had the faded hair cut with the huge bangs, pinned jeans, sweaters and deck shoes...lol

• Members

How Soon is Now by itself is a career making song. Find it. Thank us later..

Now, wedding? I did this for about 5 years. Here is what I learned. The bride is boss. If they make you run a script, make sure your contract is iron clad, i.e., no way out of payment. If they pay at the beginning, I would literally see if you can cash it (wife/gf) while playing, because every scripted wedding I did failed, and it failed because they were not trusting in your expertise to feel what people wanted to dance to. You are paid not just to play music, but to know what to play when. Djing weddings, while it can get old, generally follows the cliches until later int the night when just the younger gen is lft, then roll out the " cool stuff".

• Members

I would literally see if you can cash it (wife/gf) while playing, because every scripted wedding I did failed, and it failed because they were not trusting in your expertise to feel what people wanted to dance to.

Really? Cash it while playing? That sucks. You've probably seen everything too being in the wedding business. I just cat do it- it's not my thing. I admire those that do weddings but I stay clear unless I play the cocktail hour or something.

• Members

I had a few really weird weddings where they gave me a song list for the entire NIGHT.With one, I actually tried to talk them out of hiring me, telling them that really, a majority of what they wanted was NOT danceable. They hired me anyway, it did not go well, and then at the end of the night, they bagged out on paying me because 'no one was dancing'. I got my money a week later, but, only using a rather militant way, totally burning a bridge, I had my modem auto dial the for three days until they brought me my cash. This was in the early 90's. I changed my contract after that too. My mantra became, bride happy, me happy. It pretty much never failed. At the time, I was married, had a 2 year old at home, and it was my only income, so I was not getting screwed. One thing aout DJing is, I worked constantly. I was booked about 80% of all Saturday, some Fridays, some Sundays and other special events. I only got into it because I was tired of trying to keep a band together and I had the PA and music anyway. It turned into a pretty lucrative thing.

• Members

From Wikipedia; (sorry for the lengthy cut and paste but I think it sums up what he's more of an icon in the UK and the bleakness he personifies.

Morrissey is routinely referred to as an influential artist, both in his solo career and with the Smiths. The BBC has referred to him as "one of the most influential figures in the history of British pop,"[132] and the NME named the Smiths the "most influential artist ever" in a 2002 poll, even topping the Beatles.[133] Rolling Stone, naming him one of the greatest singers of all time in a recent poll, noted that his "rejection of convention" in his vocal style and lyrics is the reason "why he redefined the sound of British rock for the past quarter-century."[5] Morrissey's enduring influence has been ascribed to his wit, the "infinite capacity for interpretation" in his lyrics,[4] and his appeal to the "constant navel gazing, reflection, solipsism" of generations of "disenfranchised youth," offering unusually intimate "companionship" to broad demographics.[1]

Journalist Mark Simpson calls Morrissey "one of the greatest pop lyricists

• Members

How Soon is Now by itself is a career making song. Find it. Thank us later..

Now, wedding? I did this for about 5 years. Here is what I learned. The bride is boss. If they make you run a script, make sure your contract is iron clad, i.e., no way out of payment. If they pay at the beginning, I would literally see if you can cash it (wife/gf) while playing, because every scripted wedding I did failed, and it failed because they were not trusting in your expertise to feel what people wanted to dance to. You are paid not just to play music, but to know what to play when. Djing weddings, while it can get old, generally follows the cliches until later int the night when just the younger gen is lft, then roll out the " cool stuff".

In this case the bride is boss as well, agreed! Everything he wanted was shot down in flames during our meeting. Regarding the "script" I actually give them a sheet to fill out, times of the walk for dinner, dinnner during music yes or no, then the structure of the wedding dance and NAMES in ORDER of the bridal party (keep in mind I don't know these people). I do this so if there is any dispute I can say, "hey it's the way you wanted it".

I'm just worried about so much time and frankly I'm sorry after 4 hours of any dancing I just don't think they will have much energy left, expecially after a long wedding day. Thanks for the insight everyone, I'll listen to this Morrissey dude some more maybe it'll grow on me but so far, boy, sure does not get my feet tapping ---- to anything...maybe I have to do some something depressing and live in a rainy area for a couple a weeks, but I'll try!

• Members

Why do you think that? What would be your way of handling these special requests?

I would just run with whatever they wanted..it's their gig. If they request to put people to sleep then so be it. Of course I'd give them my "professional" opinion, but if they were stuck on certain music then who am I to play something different? All my brother wanted at his wedding was hippy music. If the DJ would have come in and played "We Are Family" he probably wouldn't have gotten paid.

• Members

Despite his "slit your wrists" image the Smiths also had a whole bunch of really upbeat tunes, even if the lyrics underneath are kind of macabre...

e.g. this chamring man, william it was really nothing. frankly mr shankly. ah theres a whole bunch...

his best ever lyric...??

its got to be...

"...i smashed down on the crossbar,

and the pain was enough to make a shy bald buddist reflect.

and plan a mass murder, who said I lied to her...."

not only does he stick them into a tune but they work..

on a good day - he's a bituva genius ;)

d

• Members

Yup even had a request for some video game song, unreleased track. Told him can't do it, it's not released, if he can get me a copy will play it. I am very conscious in discussing weddings because as stated in other posts, like to get paid. Ok I might be able to snatch it using my mixer from online source, but isn't that illegal?

• Members

I know this doesn't apply to DJs, but there are a lot of players in this forum.

Often the bride wants songs that don't fit our normal audience. Usually obscure cuts from otherwise famous artists. I guess choosing one of their hits isn't special enough, but that love song from their fist CD, before they got too famous, is going to be just perfect.

For us, the problem with that is that it will take me a day or more to learn the song, sequence the backing track, and most likely I'll only play it that one night. I've learned that after the wedding, when you are on your regular gig, those obscure songs usually ooze off the stage and form a puddle there while the audience ignores you.

So I charge them for each song I have to learn. I tell them they can:

So that way at least I get partially paid for my time to learn it.

Insights and incites by Notes ?

• Members

We've been doing the Wedding Band thing pretty hard for the last 2-3 years and in the process have learned a lot and become pretty good at it. So much so that I think I might put together a "Wedding Band 101" primer at some point--once I get the rest of everything figured out... lol

Of course, being a full band is different from being a solo or duo in many ways, but there are many things that probably apply to all acts as well.

First of all, don't be afraid of weddings. Yes, they are usually more work. But they can also be quite rewarding. Both in terms of the fact that you can make a lot more money playing a wedding than at most standard gigs, and in the fact that you're usually playing for a captive audience who is there to celebrate and have a good time. You don't really have to worry about people who are there to drown their sorrows in drink or are going to leave to check out the band across the street and see if they are any better than you. Some of the most fun we've ever had performing has been at weddings.

The trick is to keep the "work" to a minimum and exercise as much control as possible over the event. Brides naturally want to control 'their' day and often try to micromanage every detail. This usually results in failure if, for no other reason, what the heck do they know about running a wedding? How many times have they gotten married? So we go into the entire process by working with the bride and working to convince her that there are two main things she needs to remember: 1) she's having music because she wants her guests to be entertained and have the time of their life. Leave the entertaining to the professionals. 2) she's paying us very good money because she wants to hire the best. We are the best. We've done hundreds of weddings. Put things in our hands, relax, and you won't be disappointed.

Don't let them micro-manage the set list. We tell them they are free to pick some songs they do and don't want from our master setlist and we'll accomodate their requests as best we can (we won't play anything they don't want to hear. We'll try to play as many of their "do play" requests as we can, but we might not have time to get to them all) but they don't get to pick the specific songs or the order we play them or anything. That's our show and what we do. The truth is, they won't remember most of what the band did or did not play. The bride and groom are often so busy that they aren't even near the dance floor for big chunks of time. And all they will really remember the next day is if everyone had fun or not. Which song they had fun to is irrelevant. So a lot of this stuff has a certain degree of "tell them what they want to hear but do what you know is best". Unless they have a song that they really want to hear for a specific event, they probably aren't going to notice whether you ever got around to playing "Brick House" or not.

Special songs: we offer to learn up to 3 special songs as part of the package. Usually for Bridge/Groom, Father/Daughter, Mother/Son dances. We'd rather not, of course, but the nature of the market we work in demands we do this to remain competitive. We always strongly suggest they look over our songlist to find something they like, but if they want something that isn't on the list, we will learn it. Couple of things to remember here: first of all, you don't need to learn the entire song. A minute or so of the couple dancing around by themselves is usually more than enough. Often a verse and a chorus and out is sufficient. When we've played longer I often see the couple looking up at us with a "when is this song going to end?" look on their faces. Also, since most of these songs are sappy ballads anyway, it often isn't necessary to work up a full arrangement. An acoustic guitar or piano/vocal version might be sufficient.

In addition to sending out a contract, we always send out an "event planner" as well. It helps to give them the feeling of control, but the truth is it is designed to give US as much control as possible and limit the amount of minor-detail crap they might try to throw in. And, of course, it helps so we know the flow of events, names of people we might have to introduce, etc. But the way the planner is laid out, it encourages them to follow OUR plan of events. It's all about herding brides into a flow of events that we know works best. Otherwise, they'll have you playing a song while they are cutting the cake out by the gazebo at 1 PM and doing the garter toss at the Veranda at 7:30.

• Members

I can't see those Morrissey tracks going down too well with a Wedding crowd.

Strange choice.

If it was my Duo, I think we'd just play recordings of the Morrissey songs during the breaks in our Live sets to be honest.

As you are DJ-ing, I assume you have all the technical gadgetry required to edit tracks and make 'medley' type tracks?

I'd do that if I were you. Take each of the requested Morrissey songs and chop them a bit and put parts of each song together.

That way, the Bride gets her song choice, you get your payment but the guests aren't bored.

Just a thought. :)

Archived