Female Singers and their bad attitudes - pls comment

stunningbabe

• Members

I have been offered many times to join many different bands to be their Female Singer. These are all dudes. Said they needed an 'eye-candy' girl on stage.

So I joined one band 2years ago to see how it will go. All the dudes in the band was hitting on me....giving me pressure to give in to them. As much as I like cute guys...I just don't wanna get involved with any of them sexually. To me, Work is work. I dont mix work with pleasure.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been a musician all my life, and have been in a few bands with female singers. I've never had a bad experience with them, as they have always been pros (and I've been lucky).

We males and female in the band also always adopted a 'hands off the opposite gender member' -- and that's the only way it can be. In turn we started acting like her brother, protecting her from what we considered danger and using her to help us meet other females.

I made one exception to the 'hands off' rule and it was the right decision.

I met the woman you see on my avatar when we were playing in different bands. We became 'an item' that way and a couple of months later, my band broke up and her band was having severe internal personnel difficulties. So we decided to start a band of our own.

We did a trio for a while and then a 5 piece band and we remained together, but didn't let that interfere with the workings of the bands (we are both professionals). Later on the 5 piece band started having difficulties, bass player quit for family reasons, replaced him, then lost the drummer for a reason I don't remember, and replaced him with a female drummer. Went to the first gig, and she said, "I can't play in a bar, God will never forgive me." She was a Mormon. We played that night and the next day I bought a keyboard with a sequencer in it.

We never looked back. So I've been in a duo with a fantastic female singer (she sings much better than I do) who doesn't have the 'attitude' and also plays guitar and synth, and we've played in venues from South Florida to Cruise Ships all the way to the People's Republic of China. We're now married, she is my lover, my best friend, and my duo partner.

Life is great!!!

Insights and incites by Notes ?

• Members

Another prob with having 1 female singer in the band : EVeryone in the Band wants to sleep with her! Due to this...jealousy is the name of the game. She knows all the guys wanna bed her...so she plays hard to get..and flirts with the drummer one...then with the bassist the next day...and etc....and giving false hopes to each dude in the band.

The sexism in this thread is ridiculous. "Men-only" band policies. Women at fault for

using sex appeal. If a sexy male was the only guy in his band and sleeping with all the

women, none of you would be complaining. Damn those double standards.

You could argue that this is the men's fault, too. They just can't stop thinking with

their penises. They always have the option of shutting down any of her advances.

If they did, she'd have no reason to use sex appeal to manipulate them.

Men who lack self-control and easily give into sex appeal are weak

and women know that. If women can use it to their advantage, they should.

Those men deserve to be manipulated.

• Members

The sexism in this thread is ridiculous. "Men-only" band policies. Women at fault for

using sex appeal. If a sexy male was the only guy in his band and sleeping with all the

You could argue that this is the men's fault, too. They just can't stop thinking with

their penises. They always have the option of shutting down any of her advances.

What's especially strange is the rampant sexism coming from this "stunningbabe". :freak:

• Members

This whole "paid less / paid more" thing is stupid.

In publishing - here is the law. The publishing company and agents get whatever they can negotiate. Whatever is left is split in half. 50% to the songwriter(s) and 50% to the performers. That can be more difficult in bands because most stupid musicians think because nobody told them what to play on the bass, then they are a co-writer - that's crap. Gig fee's should be split evenly between all on-stage personnel with a portion of each going back to off-stage personnel. Anything else must be negotiated before hand. If a singer can negotiate a higher percentage, than good for them. If a drummer can negotiate a highter percentage, than good for them. It's the unspoken back biting that kills bands, not poorly negotiated inequity.

• Members

Frontperson type singers are not equal to musicians in a band-or at least they shouldn't be. The singer is the focus, the face of the band. Jagger equal to Watts? No. Not Keef either. Any singer worth backing up should be able to almost make the audience forget there is a band backing them. The idea that a singer who doesn't play an instrument should get less than a musician backing them is strange to me. Usually, it's the other way around. On another thread a guy talked about having to fire the singer and that holding up the progress of the band. If you do music with vocals and you don't have a singer, there is no band. My group has always been instrumental. I could have added a female vocalist and expanded my gig opportunities greatly. But I didn't want to be a backup musician in my own freakin band. I didn't want to be held hostage by a vocalist.

Here's my favorite example:

Miami sound Machine!!!!

Miami Sound Machine w/ Gloria Estefan!!!!!!!

Gloria Estefan w/ Miami Sound Machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gloria Estefan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'd love to play behind Gloria, but I'd hate to have been a founding member of MSM, unless I happened to be her husband, who was also a member of the band. Anyone remember any of the other guys? Nope.

If I'm going to work with a singer, let them be great, really great, and let me play behind them, supporting their greatness. And if they aren't awesome, GTFO.

• Members
Miami sound Machine!!!!

Gloria Estefan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has been my somewhat limited experience with female lead singers.

In my rock band, we decided to try and add a female earlier this year. Auditioned a few ladies.

One girl brought her husband. No big deal, actually kind of expected. But when she said that he also plays...:facepalm: I took one look at my buddy and we knew. Sure enough about 20min later she asks if her husband can sit in. On an audition...for her... :facepalm:

One girl showed up two hours late, spilling into another girl's audition. Two hours late. And then basically demanded we cut the other girl loose (who was on time) and let her sing "right now" because she was the best. Turns out...she wasn't the best; couldn't even sing on pitch. :facepalm:

One girl showed up ABSOLUTELY drunk. I mean...stinking drunk. :facepalm:

The girl that had the other one bust into her audtion: after answering our ad about a COVER band audtion, wants to do nothing but originals. She wanted us to be her backing bad ALA Gloria Estefan and the un-named losers. :facepalm:

Every single one of them exhibited "red-flag" behavior.
Every. Single. One.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

So we have dropped the idea of adding a female to sing with the band.

• Members

This board seems to be loaded with bands with female singers...WTF is the deal with this trend? Please tell me it's not about having a hot chick front the band for more or better gigs because that's just wrong IMO.

• Members

This board seems to be loaded with bands with female singers...WTF is the deal with this trend? Please tell me it's not about having a hot chick front the band for more or better gigs because that's just wrong IMO.

different strokes : I'd much rather hire an attractive and competent girl singer to increase my hireability than, say, put on funny hats or use backing tracks

or play Margaritaville

• Members

different strokes : I'd much rather hire an attractive and competent girl singer to increase my hireability than, say, put on funny hats or use backing tracks

or play Margaritaville

Sure whatever...How about bands find a singer thats good for the band instead of, again ,singing guy fronted tunes?

• Members

I was a professional in the band I mentioned regarding the humble and sweet singer. She looked like a doll, very pretty. She eventually ended up with the guitarist, but I saw that coming from a mile away. Not sure if she ever 'got' with the drummer, but he did flirt with her a bit onstage (might have just been part of the routine). I treated her like a sister, which is probably why we haven't spoken ever since I left the band in late 2006. Might be getting Christmas cards at least if I had acted the horndog. lol j/k

• Members

Frontperson type singers are not equal to musicians in a band-or at least they shouldn't be. The singer is the focus, the face of the band. Jagger equal to Watts? No. Not Keef either. Any singer worth backing up should be able to almost make the audience forget there is a band backing them. The idea that a singer who doesn't play an instrument should get less than a musician backing them is strange to me. Usually, it's the other way around. On another thread a guy talked about having to fire the singer and that holding up the progress of the band. If you do music with vocals and you don't have a singer, there is no band. My group has always been instrumental. I could have added a female vocalist and expanded my gig opportunities greatly. But I didn't want to be a backup musician in my own freakin band. I didn't want to be held hostage by a vocalist.

Here's my favorite example:

Miami sound Machine!!!!

Gloria Estefan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'd love to play behind Gloria, but I'd hate to have been a founding member of MSM, unless I happened to be her husband, who was also a member of the band. Anyone remember any of the other guys? Nope.

If I'm going to work with a singer, let them be great, really great, and let me play behind them, supporting their greatness. And if they aren't awesome, GTFO.

Great post. I agree with all of it.

• Members

The guitar player I fired back in February kept trying to get a chick into the band, even though we started out with me on vocals/guitar, him on guitar and a drummer (we found a bassist later). It was clear to everybody who the main singer was, yet he kept thinking that if we got some chick in the group, we would have it made. I realized after a while that he was just lazy and thought that if we had a chick frontwoman, we'd have gigs up the wazoo and we could just sit back and watch the dough roll in.

Problem was, I'm already the singer. That would be like adding a chick lead singer to The Knack or Nirvana or Seether. There is someone doing that role just fine.

After he tried to lie to me about going to Karaoke night and see if we can find someone who might be interested in singing (but meanwhile telling the drummer a different story...that we would be going to see the former lead singer of his old band...who just happened to be at Karaoke that night), I saw the writing on the wall and fired him. I don't regret it other than that I should have done it months earlier.

Archived