frontman or backround?

eyesore

• Members

hi guys;just started gettin back in to playin out again.[solo of course].i'm not a big "talkin to the crowd kinda guy". how would you describe yourself ...frontman or backround music?....i'm definetely seat down and play my guitar and sing ....backround type...thanks!

• Members

I've been either depending on the venue and crowd. Played a downtown restaurant where I LITERALLY was not capable of turning down any more than I already had... it was really nothing more than my voice and guitar. Don't get much more background than that. Conversely, have played packed summertime patios where crowds are ready to party down, and you end up leading sing-alongs. Any early worries I had about being a "frontman" in those situations were quickly eradicated by the realization that there will always, always, always be someone more stupid than you in that room.

• Members

Much like AJP I do both. Usually I'm more of a front man in a band situation, but sometimes as a solo if it's called for. But being able to do both reasonably well also means that you, yourself are making that decision - and it's not always easy to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.

The dual role can also be confusing to "fans". I'll do anything from going onto the dance floor with my guitar and doing the duck walk to (in a band) taking my guitar off and doing the worm on the floor. But when someone that has seen me front a band, comes to see me do a lounge solo, it's hard for them to understand that I'm now just part of the wallpaper - seen but barely heard.

I think you should just be yourself, and find the gigs that suit your style. If your style doesn't suit any gigs, then you might have to adapt somewhat. But try and see how you do just being yourself. Ad of course you can compensate for the lack of a flashy front, by having good sound, good songs, a well paced set list, the right clothes, the right attitude, and being friendly with the staff and patrons - and showing up early, ready to play on time. Those sorts of things can matter a great deal; often more than the fronting stuff.

• Members

eyesore wrote:

hi guys;just started gettin back in to playin out again.[solo of course].i'm not a big "talkin to the crowd kinda guy". how would you describe yourself ...frontman or backround music?....i'm definetely seat down and play my guitar and sing ....backround type...thanks!

Yes it depends on the type of gig. At quiet restauants I've always felt that talking a lot is instrusive but maybe that's just me. But some banter is important to get your personality across. 

I joke around more at bar gigs. Acts that don't talk at all are boring. If you're too shy to talk you should get over it. You don't have act like a game show host, just talk a little so people can get a feel for your personality. The more personable you are the better IMHO.

• Members

I'll chime in with another "It depends on the gig" answer.

Sometimes even in the same venue but on a different night, the approach might vary. So I guess it also depends on the audience.

I enjoy both roles too. i like being up front and goofing off with the audience, but I also like being mellow and in the shadows. 

Notes

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I am a ROCKSTAR!! :-)

I try to get gigs where the energy is up, but sometimes you're paid well to just sit there. That's OK to, but it's much harder to do the songs that demands adrenaline boost. I just tune my mind into "I'll do it as a practice where I aim to do no mistakes and focus on technique" but at the same time have the connection to the audience when possible.

• Members

Most of my gigs are background, which is fine by me. I tend not to talk a lot because 1) people are eating dinner and I feel like I'm intruding and 2) generally, past the first row or two of tables, it sounds like "Mmphh bumble frb guffaw foof" in the low volume gigs. My rule of thumb is if I have nothing to say, shut up and play.

Archived