Post your racks!!

• Members

my latest incarnation:

RIG_1.jpg

Rig_2.jpg
** The Axcess unit switches the ADA MP-1 / Soldano SP-77 / Wylde Overdrive in/out signal chain.

Okay that is out of control...Jesus....I love this stuff. I have been playing as a pro for 25 years in A bands and I have never used this much gear. Its cool, don't get me wrong, its just hard to take it all in. I use a messa 50 with a Keeley comp, and a few custom pedals... thats it. But I am a country lead player and that is all I need. Kudo's thats some impressive gear. I would love to rock the {censored} out of it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Flight cases is actually why I'm switching to a full rack-setup... I'd rather have a good 4-space shock rack with power amp + preamp than a head in a flight case... guess I'm just on the odd side.

I used to run custom flight cases on my old Mesa stuff. I wouldn't have a problem doing that again, but I'm happy with the my new rack setup. Once I finalize it I'll be able to condense it down to a smaller case.

• Members

donsimon76,

Apparently they hung the rails without a tape measure or even a jaundiced eye! That right hand rail is easily 1/2" lower than the leffhain one. That's unacceptable for a company claiming to be in the business of building racks.

Sorry to harsh your buzz.

How do you like that 1U Mesa stereo amp? That thing looks perfect for a rack situation. Even better if one has to haul

their gear up stairs and {censored}.

• Members

Did you go and draw lines on the Soldano knobs? Why would you go and do that? You can't see white lines on off-white knobs? You need to know what your settings are or something?
;)

(I have been debating doing the same with mine.)

What white lines ?? LOL True story ... methinks dots would have looked cleaner...NOT pulling out the white-out though !

• Members

donsimon76,

Apparently they hung the rails without a tape measure or even a jaundiced eye! That right hand rail is easily 1/2" lower than the leffhain one. That's unacceptable for a company claiming to be in the business of building racks.

Sorry to harsh your buzz.

How do you like that 1U Mesa stereo amp? That thing looks perfect for a rack situation. Even better if one has to haul

their gear up stairs and {censored}.

The price was good enough that I didn't care about it. I may fix it one of these days. It was one of their mass produced ones. It stays in one room in my house so . . .

I think the Mesa 20/20 is great: nice sound, good volume (with enough to spare) for my usage needs and 1 rack space! Take into account, though, that I don't have too much experience with rack power amps. I just play at home so I needed something that would let me actually be able to move the volume knobs without going from too quiet to OH MY GOD MY EARS ARE BLEEDING. I don't remember specifics but I tried a 100 watt rack power amp and couldn't move the volume knob past .4 so it was difficult leveling the L and R channels. So far, everything has sounded good through the 20/20. I am happy with it.

• Members

Okay that is out of control...Jesus....I love this stuff. I have been playing as a pro for 25 years in A bands and I have never used this much gear. Its cool, don't get me wrong, its just hard to take it all in. I use a messa 50 with a Keeley comp, and a few custom pedals... thats it. But I am a country lead player and that is all I need. Kudo's thats some impressive gear. I would love to rock the {censored} out of it.

My reply is not a hostile atall, but just asking a couple questions:

1. Justaplayer is right. He says the gear he has is 'all he needs'. For playing multiple styles - this setup is ALL I need. I can sound just fine w/o any FX and plug into a head & cab - pow, that's it.

2. What is excessive (perhaps space/weight issue) about this setup ? One boost pedal, 2 preamps, one massive power amp, a power conditioner, noise gate, strobe tuner, FX processor. switcher for preamps & pedal. Pretty straightforward, IMHO.

The only "right rig" is the one YOU pick & choose for YOUR playing. People say to me "dude, you need a head" - its like, if I wanted one, I'd buy one. Who knows better than me what I need? ;)

Rant over.

• Members

I can be one of the first to say that I have more equipment than I will ever "need". That goes for amps, guitars, etc. I could survive with 2 guitars (my Parker Nite Fly and Gibson Studio Premium Plus) and 1 amp. BUT I don't want to. So I surround myself with equipment!

• Members

My reply is not a hostile atall, but just asking a couple questions:

1. Justaplayer is right. He says the gear he has is 'all he needs'. For playing multiple styles - this setup is ALL I need. I can sound just fine w/o any FX and plug into a head & cab - pow, that's it.

2. What is excessive (perhaps space/weight issue) about this setup ? One boost pedal, 2 preamps, one massive power amp, a power conditioner, noise gate, strobe tuner, FX processor. switcher for preamps & pedal. Pretty straightforward, IMHO.

The only "right rig" is the one YOU pick & choose for YOUR playing. People say to me "dude, you need a head" - its like, if I wanted one, I'd buy one. Who knows better than me what I need?
;)

Rant over.

Its not excessive if it is what you want. I think these rigs rock. Its just hard for an old road dog to get my head around it. I just could not use all that gear live, like I said because I have no application. And of course there is the weight and size thing. You can bet that when I am done touring around, I will have a rig like these in my basement. There is alot to technical expertise in this thread.

• Members

Rack Head

Rackmount Concepts Head Case w/built in Power Conditioner

Rocktron Patchmate (Front side fx switching)

Rockman C/D

Rocktron Xpression

Engl e580

Engl e820 2x35 Watts

Rack 2 Pearson 8 space rack case

Midi Router

Digitech IPS33

Furman M8 Power Conditoner

Rocktron Patchmate (amp switching)

ADA Microcab

DSCF0187.JPG

DSCF0189.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Now I've got my Effect Gizmo, and everything's wired up (and working), I thought I'd take and post some new rig pictures... so I took my camera up to church this morning (where my rig's currently set up) and snapped a few shots after the service.

3625175772_78835ceec1_o.jpg

Full rig including two Laney GS212IE cabs (with Celestion Seventy 80 speakers) mic'd up with Sennheiser E606 mics. The 2U rack on the left isn't part of the guitar rig, but is the graphic EQ for the monitors at church and a 4-channel DI box.

3625175650_120fab94fd_o.jpg

My two heads, a Peavey JSX and Triple XXX, both running at 60w. The JSX has EL34 tubes and the XXX has 6L6 tubes. The JSX powers the right cab; the XXX the left one (it's a straight stereo rig, not W/D or W/D/W or anything).

3624359119_e7617f7e59_o.jpg

My pedalboard (also the back lid of my 12U rack) - RJM Mastermind MIDI controller, Boss FV500H expression pedal, Morley Bad Horsie I wah pedal, Morley Little Alligator volume pedal, Pedalsnake system.

3625175084_033f9d8973_o.jpg

Full view of the front of the rack. On the top shelf, there's a Marshall ED1 compressor (in the back), two Marshall BB2 bluesbreakers (one as a boost, one as an overdrive), a Marshall EH1 echohead (used for slapback) and a Marshall RG1 regenerator (used as a phaser). Not visible there are a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power AC and a Burkey Flatliner SIX power supply.

In between the two pedal shelves are an ART PB4x4 Power Base distribution unit and a Korg DTR1000 tuner (not in the signal path - split off the RG-16's buffer). The lower shelf has a Boss AC2 acoustic simulator, a Keeley modified Boss DS1, a Monte Allums rectifier mod Boss DS1, a Rolls MX28 line mixer, and in the back a Samson S Mix mini mixer (mixes the sends of the two heads together) and a Burkey Flatliner Pro power supply.

Next up come two Digitech GSP1101 processors, both running firmware version c48 from http://www.mustbebeta.com. The top one is connected both as a pre-amp processor (for overdrive etc modelling) and as a post-amp processor. The second is just used for post effects, as is the TC G Major that's below it.

Controlling the whole rack are the RJM Music Effect Gizmo and RG-16 products - all but 4 loops are currently in use, switching in pedals, changing amp channels, and controlling the sends and returns to the amps and the processors. It also controls whether the G Major and the second GSP1101 are connected in parallel or series, which I can switch by activating both loops 9 and 10 on the Effect Gizmo simultaneously.

Finally, a Samson S-Com 2-channel compressor / gate rounds out the rack - this is connected between the amp sends and the mini Samson mixer that feeds the effects processors - lightly compressed to smooth out signal peaks, but mostly used as a noise gate to keep the rig quiet when I'm not playing.

In the back of the rack, there's also a MIDI Solutions Quadra-Thru box to maintain MIDI data integrity. I've not got any pictures of the back of the rack yet - next time I move it I'll take a couple.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

3624359119_e7617f7e59_o.jpg

where did you get that midi pedal?

That's an RJM Music Mastermind controller. I got mine from Sounds Great here in the UK. For the money, I've not found a better MIDI controller... which doesn't mean that my Rocktron All Access' weren't great (still got one for sale), just I like the smaller footprint and the way it integrates with my RJM Music RG-16 and Effect Gizmo.

• Members

That's an
RJM Music
Mastermind controller. I got mine from
Sounds Great
here in the UK. For the money, I've not found a better MIDI controller... which doesn't mean that my Rocktron All Access' weren't great (still got one for sale), just I like the smaller footprint and the way it integrates with my RJM Music RG-16 and Effect Gizmo.

cool, good info. :thu:

• Members

As some of you may already know, I've been revamping my effects rig. I use a combination of racks and pedals. I used to use an 18 space rig that I was able to whittle down to 10 spaces with the addition of a Boss GT-Pro and some new pedal choices.
Here's a pic of my old rig...

-3.jpg

I had it wired with some George L cable that I soldered the connectors to. I used to use the solderless connections but after a year of heavy gigging and touring, they started coming loose.

Anyway, I'm much happier with my new setup...it's much lighter and it takes up less space on the stage as well as less space in the van when we're on the road.

So when I decided to revamp my setup, I thought I would improve the sound further by making some solid core cables from scratch. Some folks pay big bucks for solid core cables, but you can make them yourself so inexpensively, it's crazy.

I started with 18 gauge solid core wire that I twisted to reject radio interference, wrapped in tin foil to shield the wire. Then I shrink tubed the foil wrapped wire, soldered the connectors and then filled in the space between the solder joints with epoxy to add additional strain relief and keep the contacts from coming together when bending the cable.

The sonic benefits were incredible and they are virtually indestructible. Plus I could right angle bend them to keep the cable out of the way so I could reach in and adjust the knobs on the pedals.

Here's the pic from the front...

-4-1.jpg

The rack interface I built myself from scratch. It features a guitar input, a MIDI in and a MIDI out, 3 audio feed throughs, a USB port for hooking up my Boss GT-Pro to my laptop, an expression pedal jack, 2 footswitch jacks and a left and right output (I run a stereo rig...the outputs connect to a pair of single channel amps...right now it's a pair of ValveTech heads into MojoTone "Marshall 2x12 cabs.

Here's some closeups of the interface...

-3-1.jpg

-2-1.jpg

At the bottom of my rack, behind a locked front panel are my Boss GT-Pro racks and a Master Room Spring Reverb unit shown below...

-1-1.jpg

Here is the back of the rack...

-9.jpg

One of the benefits of making your own cables is you can color code them to make sense of it all at a glance. The Yellow Cables are jumpers for the GCX switcher, the Red Cables are main audio connections, the Gray Cables are multi effects cables, and the Black Cables are pedal cables, and each of those have a red tag for the loop send/effect in and a white tag for the loop return/effect out. I was also able to color code my power cables on my DC Brick to make it easier to see which cable goes to which pedal.

I also made an extender shelf out of plexi glass which I wrapped in Velcro...it fastens the shelf to the spring reverb unit and allows me to fasten the pedals to it. I drilled holes in it to run the power cables underneath it to keep them out of the way.

Here's a close up of the effects which are all switched in and out with a Voodoo Lab GCX MIDI loop switcher...I'm using (in order of signal flow)...

Keeley Comp -> Skreddy Top Fuel -> Skreddy Screwdriver -> Exotic BB Booster - Exotic RC Booster - Exotic AC Booster -> Keeley prototype Katana Clean Boost -> Boss GT-Pro.

I had Exotic mod my RC/AC/BB boosters to run at 18 volts.

The GT-Pro's stereo outputs go directly into my Roctron G-612 Mixer so that when the GCX switches it out of the signal path, the delays and reverb trails continue to spill over. The GT-Pro also has 3 loops which I use to switch my Master Room Spring Reverb Rack, my Analog Man Clone Chorus and my FoxRox Octron.

-7.jpg

-6.jpg

-8.jpg

-5.jpg

Thats the one of most beautiful wiring jobs Ive ever seen. I should learn this skill of making my own cables, I hate paying for them and the spegetti is ridiculous... One of the reasons Im not a rack owner.

And yes Goeorge Lynch cables will fail, and I suppose in a big rack with lots of cables, that could be a serious problem at a gig.

Archived