Peavey PR15

• Members

Hello all. I have been reading your advice for some time but just recently registered. My problem..........One of my bands PR15's has a non-functioning horn. I noticed it out at the last gig. I don't recall any particualar circumstances that would have stressed it. Any thoughts? I haven't opened the cabinet up yet. What kind of protection circuit does it have?

thanks.

• Members

The speakers belong to the drummer. He said they only had a 1 year warrranty. Is this not true?................wouldn't be the first time a drummer was a liitle challenged when it came to reading. Speaking of drummers...........so I set up the PA last night after the rest of the boyz attempted it in my absense last week. Well............they managed to blow a channel on the mixer. I suspect it had something to do with leaving the phantom power on while plugging/unplugging mikes, cycling power, etc. Anyway................I hook everything up and now I'm getting this annoying feedback. I try everything to eliminate it............no dice. I finally shut everything down and can still hear it. Hmm..........seems to be coming from above the drum riser..............hmm.......much snooping around and OMG!!! the friggin' drummers hearing aid is feeding back and he can't even hear it!! The band isn't called Geezer for nuthin' Sheesh!

• Members

Lot's of warranty information on Peavey's web site:

http://www.peavey.com/support/warrantyregistration/warrantytext.cfm

As respects Enclosures (speakers): the warranty is 3 years, 5 if the registration cards were completed.

The warranty only covers speaker components for 1 year unfortunately...:cry:

The 3 or 5 year (only if you register your product for some reason???) is for the speaker enclosure itself.

Al

• Members

I bit the bullet and just ordered a few from Peavey. $4.00 a piece. Ephrata is in lancaster Co. I'm surrounded by Amish and Mennonite peeps. I'm now in the process of writing out DETAILED instructions so the boyz in the band don't blow the PA up again the next time I can't make practice.

• Members

ahhhh...............somehow I always feel better after Aged Horse chimes in. Sorta brings "closure" and all that..........

Peavey Parts said the bulb was 12.8V, 2.1A...........didn't sound like anything I'd find at Pep Boyz. So I ordered (4). I'm gonna velcro a couple spares inside each enclosure.

Thanks everyone for the info.

• Members

ahhhh...............somehow I always feel better after Aged Horse chimes in. Sorta brings "closure" and all that..........

Peavey Parts said the bulb was 12.8V, 2.1A...........didn't sound like anything I'd find at Pep Boyz. So I ordered (4). I'm gonna velcro a couple spares inside each enclosure.

Thanks everyone for the info.

That's a pretty hefty bulb, 25 watts!

One design advantage of using lower voltage bulbs is that they will be more likely to fail open in the event of an accident BUT the thermal time constant will be longer due to the mass of the filament. These are all factors that go into choosing a part in the design. The driver needs to be matched to the limiting bulb for best results.

• Members

That's a pretty hefty bulb, 25 watts!.

Sounds like it might be an 1156 (standard automotive signal bulb, 12.8V 2.1A). Peavey has used these before.

If so, they are very readily available. Most cars on the road use either these or a nearly identical dual-filament (1157).

Are you sure it doesn't have anything stamped on it? They can be hard to read without good eyes/lighting.

• Members

no it's not a standard 1157 or similar. It looks like an oversize fuse but you can see the "element" is really a bulb filament. I think they use this style for dome lights but like AH said.......26.88W sounds a bit hefty for anything I'd find at autozone. Either way.........the "genuine" replacements are already winging their way from Meridian. Plus these prolly already have some of that Miss. delta mojo built in. So............speaker problem taken care of...........Mixer out being fixed under warranty.............I replaced the pot in the CS800 after the guitar player dropped the amp last month...........knock on wood, except for that pesky cruise missile flight failure earlier in the week, everything seems to be under control. Everybody have a good weekend.

• CMS Author

Ya'all were prob'ly thinking of an 1156...the 1157 is the dual-filament (stop/turn + parking) version. The 1156 draws 2.1a, so if it were the right base or you were willing to make some changes to provide the right base, you could use them.

The type of bulb you have now is called a festoon base.

• Members

Ideally they don't fail but dissipate power in excess of the driver's rating. Unfortunately, with the very high power amplifiers these days, the ratio of driver power to available power under saya feedback condition exceeds the dissipation value of the lamp (in addition to possibly the driver) and the lamp fails (hopefully before the fuse). Sizing these in the design phase is not trivial. I have gone to 24 volt lamps because of the overvoltage possibility but need to use several in parallel to get adequate current. Works pretty good but still not perfect.

Powered (and biamped) speakers eliminate this need because it's possible to size the HF amp properly and to protect the driver with electronic means (limiting w/ differing time constants)

• Members

I wouldn't worry about the bulbs themselves failing. They are not the primary protection and are not in the circuit all the time (because that causes distortion).

If you are blowing bulbs ... you are seriously overpowering the cabinets. Look at it as a warning. You need to change something that you are doing

• Members

the PA I'm running is about as simple as it gets:

Alesis 12 FX

Peavey CS800 driving (4) monitors (2 peaveys 1-12's and 2 no name 1-12's) for a 4 ohm load per channel

Crown XLS802 driving the PR15's for an 8 ohm load per channel.

The PA is pushing 4 mikes, 1 acoustic guitar and a CD player.

BUT.............just recently the drummer has added a Yamaha 12-4 as a submixer for his drum mikes (this is the guy who can't hear his own hearing aid feeding back!). I suspect the drum mix is the culprit for blowing the PR15 protection bulb.

• Members

the PA I'm running is about as simple as it gets:

Alesis 12 FX

Crown XLS802 driving the PR15's for an 8 ohm load per channel.

First off ... that crown amp is rated at 500W/ch into each speaker. Your speakers are rated at 200W continuous and 400W program. We recommend that you use an amp that is rated at no more than 400W per channel.

You might "get away" with that 500W amp, even though it's above the rating

Every time you do that light bulb has been protecting your speakers but you've appearently hit it too many times and it failed. You need to back down the power or add more speakers.

• Members

Thanks for the info dboomer. Somehow I missed the ratings on these speakers. We had been driving these speakers with a CS1200 but the singer who owned it quit. The new singer offered to buy a new power amp. He called from Sam Ash asking whether to spring for the couple extra $$ to go from the XLS602 to the XLS802 and, naturally I said to go for it. Now...........that being said: If I added another pair of PR15's the load drops to 4 ohms and now the XLS802 is pushing 800W.........but it's split between the two pairs of cabinets so the speakers are seeing 400W each? Yes? In the meantime if I backed off the gain pots on the XLS802 is it buying me anything protection-wise? I normally just max the power amp controls and adjust the volume from the mixer.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm supposed to be an engineer but I've been in program management so long, the techy stuff is getting to be a distant memory.

Archived