Peavey PR15

• Members

In the meantime if I backed off the gain pots on the XLS802 is it buying me anything protection-wise? I normally just max the power amp controls and adjust the volume from the mixer.

No, they are just sensitivity controls, maning that if you reduce the sensitivity by 1/2 you will need twice the mixer drive voltage which should be no problem but doesn't gain you any more protection.

• Members

How tough is it to get access to the insides of those PR speakers? I use PR12's as my mains and so far, after a year and a half, have had no problems, so no need to look inside. This is even after some yahoo dropped one of them off the back of a pickup truck onto the asphalt. Luckily they're Peavey's so there built to withstand a lot of punishment.

BTW I was born in Ephrata, PA, and lived in various towns in Lancaster county, PA (Brownstown, Mountville, Millersville, Akron) for thirty years, but then moved to Lancaster, CA, twenty years ago.

What's the gigging situation like in Lancaster county nowadays? I used to play a lot at the Hotel Hershey, plus a bunch of VFW's, Elks Lodges, etc.

• Members

The innards of the PR15 are pretty easy to get to. If you unscrew the back panel that holds the jacks and the crossover you can get your arm inside.

I moved to Ephrata about a year ago from Bucks County, N of Philly. I'm still playing with the band back in Bucks co, so I haven't played any clubs in lancaster county yet. That being said, there are a lot of bars advertising live music.

Lancaster CA? Ironically I get to Edwards AFB once a year or so for work.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Having same problem. ---So I read through this thread and took apart the speaker. The fuse is still fine, and the driver itself works fine when powered via other speaker. So....CROSSOVER?!?!?! Anybody know anything about the crossover or where to get one? Funny thing is that the 15" woofer works fine, unaffected. What gives?:freak:

• Members

I THOUGHT the PR series had a poly switch in it? Or was it the SOLDERED in fuse? Either way it was a non-friendly method.

Boomerweps

From Dboomer's description in post #22, sounds like it's probably light-bulb protection bypassed by a polyswitch.

• Members
the PA I'm running is about as simple as it gets:

Alesis 12 FX

Peavey CS800 driving (4) monitors (2 peaveys 1-12's and 2 no name 1-12's) for a 4 ohm load per channel

Crown XLS802 driving the PR15's for an 8 ohm load per channel.

The PA is pushing 4 mikes, 1 acoustic guitar and a CD player.

BUT.............just recently the drummer has added a Yamaha 12-4 as a submixer for his drum mikes (this is the guy who can't hear his own hearing aid feeding back!). I suspect the drum mix is the culprit for blowing the PR15 protection bulb.

Your PA cabinets are not good enough to be micing the drums IMO. You need subwoofers.

• Members

you are right about running the drums through the PR15's. It was an experiment that died an early death. I occasionally run the snare through a PA channel but with the size of the places we play, un-mic'ed is generally fine. BTW - since this thread started, the Alesis 12FX died for the 3rd and last time and got fixed (under warranty again) and sold. It has been replaced with a mackie DFX12 which I am mostly happy with.

www.geezerrox.com

• Members

The wires inside are color coded ...black and red are negative and positive respectively, but what is blue and yellow? I took them off without writing it down. Thanks!...btw, the crossover tested fine. So strange. I dont know what the hell the problem could be.:confused:

• Members

When the device gets hot due to excessive current flow, it transitions from low resistance to high resistance. There are different implimentations of this concept, bimetallic switches, PTC thermistors, etc. but the concept is similar with all of them.

• Members

I have kind-of the same problem with one of my pr15's... except the horn plays somewhat but has a ton of static(sounds like its blown)....

I thought at first my horn (rx14) was blown, but decided to open up the other cabinet as well, and change out the horn with the other one.... it played fine in the other cabinet.... so I think the crossover may be blown, is there anyway to test it without taking it somewhere?

I "tried" to call Peavey, but could not get a straight answer, and sat on hold three times trying to get in touch with parts over there, which never happened because the call just disconnected after about 15 minutes....

HELP, and thanks in advance for any info anyone can give me.

Archived