Pa Systems?

• Members

I'm a solo musician that plays small venues and I use an acoustic/electric guitar. I'm in the market for a PA and I'm open to suggestions as to which one to buy. I have heard about JBL, Bose, Yamaha, Behringer, Yorkville. Just looking to spend less than a $1000.00 if possible to oen.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They work pretty well.. Just be advised that expansion is impossible without spending another couple grand and they won't work well in any larger venue.

You will end up with a very expensive system that works fine for small coffee house type gigs with one or two musicians..and no ability whatsoever to be expanded without doubling the cost.

We have a local music store here with a used Bose system for sale for $1,200.

My suggestion is to buy a powered mixer and a decent set of 12" mains. You can set the speakers up so you can hear yourself.

If you get bigger venues, simply add a couple larger speakers.

• Members

Don't discount the bose. The coverage is very even. (Unusual for most systems.) frequency response very nice, easily portable and suitable for voice or instrument without beating heavily on your eardrums.

Works like this. If you're close to it, you only hear 1-3 of the drivers. (The others cancel each other out because of the angle to your ears.) As you or your audience are further away, you'll be hearing more of the drivers as they start blending with the ones at ear level. When you've reached the point that all the drivers are adding to the sound you hear, from that point on, the level of sound will drop off. Pretty cool. I'd like to run a db meter and watch the volume finally start to drop off some 40+ feet away.

Yea, it's pricey, inefficient, sounds great and all bose. The last two are the only things that count.

• Members

Don't discount the bose. The coverage is very even. (Unusual for most systems.) frequency response very nice, easily portable and suitable for voice or instrument without beating heavily on your eardrums.

Works like this. If you're close to it, you only hear 1-3 of the drivers. (The others cancel each other out because of the angle to your ears.) As you or your audience are further away, you'll be hearing more of the drivers as they start blending with the ones at ear level. When you've reached the point that all the drivers are adding to the sound you hear, from that point on, the level of sound will drop off. Pretty cool. I'd like to run a db meter and watch the volume finally start to drop off some 40+ feet away.

Yea, it's pricey, inefficient, sounds great and all bose. The last two are the only things that count.

What other "all bose" systems are being used by professionals?

And for two thousand bucks, you can buy a lot of really nice, great sounding PA equipment that will not have any of the limitations of the bose system.

• CMS Author

What other "all bose" systems are being used by professionals?

And for two thousand bucks, you can buy a lot of really nice, great sounding PA equipment that will not have any of the limitations of the bose system.

He doesn't need a lot of PA equipment. He needs a system for two inputs and small venues.

You previously wrote that if he played larger venues, the Bose would cost him a couple thousand to expand, but with a conventional system he'd merely need to add a pair of bigger speakers. A pair of good large powered speakers would also cost a couple thousand dollars. I'm not seeing the economy.

The Bose is definitely not the tool for a loud rock band. But I've heard them used quite successfully for solo and duet acts for lighter genre in typical small and medium club venues.

• Members

Maybe you're too young to remember the 802 series PA speakers. (Based on the home audiophile Bose 901s.) It's my understanding that even the Rolling Stones had them at one time. (Probably a local sound company providing sound for a concert.) They were clear, functional and required a huge amount of power for the time to run. Those wattages are pretty normal now.

• Members

Thanks for all the posts. CraigV is right. I don't see myself playing at large venues, just smaller gigs, coffee houses, private parties, receptions, etc. Seems like the Bose would get the job done pretty well. It's easy and portable. I saw some youtube video's of groups useing it and it didn't appear to be that bad.

• Members

The "very nice" frequency response of the L1 unfortunately doesn't include anything under 200Hz or over 12kHz.

• Members

One NX55P should do it. Amazing sound for it's size, very portable, built-in mixer, 2 year no-fault warranty.

I agree that these are really nice. If they had some sort of built in effects they would be almost perfect.

Another recent poster who was searching for almost this exact same circumstance reminded me about these - (Genz Benz Shenandoah Pro) - which are very well designed, pretty darn flexable, probably big enough for most coffeeshop type gigs, and DO have the built in reverb.

I also have learned enough now to know that one very important key is to buy things that will grow and accomodate changes as your circumstances change. Indeed the powered speaker boxes are excellent in that regard, and the little mixer on the Yorkies will facilitate many options. The Genz Benz - (or there are probably others) will last a lifetime with care, and no doubt find a number of uses as time goes by.

• Members

Word of caution when you decide to buy do your self a favor and buy name brand quality gear as mentioned from the others here. The market is flooded with the 1000$ price range package deals that is not up to par with adequate sound or reliable equipment. Personally I think a active cab would be far more better to serve your needs but that's just my opinion based off from my own experience with active cabs. Good luck and let us know what you decide to buy

• Members

Do what agedhorse said and try a few things out.

If you are only doing smaller gigs two pa speaker cabinets and a powered head would suit you fine. Aim one of the speakers towards you and it'll double as your monitor. Experiment with speaker placement as to avoid feedback.

I would get the new Bose If i were to have at least one of the B1 subs and the sound module/mixer thingy....But then you are talking $3,000.

My two EV SX300's were $600 used and I bought the Peavey 8600 powered mixer scratch and dent for under $500. For solo stuff it gets PLENTY loud and I use this setup for outdoor gigs too, just adding a sub.

• Members

Why not try out a few options, maybe rent and try first. That way you can make an educated decision for your exact needs.

+1.

Before I bought my system, I tried out a bunch of systems and I'm glad I did. I got exactly what I wanted and more importantly I knew what I was getting.

Who knows, you may just like renting.

• CMS Author

Have the MF catalog in front of me with the write up on the new PAS - I think he's referring to the L1 Model II @ 2499 and the t1 tonematch system at $499.

Yes, but you can add the T1 to a Model I system.

As suggested, the OP should try as many systems as possible and decide what fits best.

• Members

I think another really good answer for acoustic shows is a set of EV ZX1s with a powered mixer such as the Yamaha EMX512 or the Peavey XR8600. You can even add a pair of EV SB122 12" subwoofers to the bottom and chain the ZX1 from the sub which has a built in crossover designed to work with the ZX1. The subs are about the size and weight of a standard molded 12" cab. The only problem would be if you wanted to run monitors (ZX1s also make great monitors), you would have to skip on the subs unless you wanted to carry around another amp -however you could also just go powered on the monitors. The ZX1 is an 8" enclosure that is incredibly full sounding -they go for about $285 each and I have never heard better sound quality at that price -they are not quite as loud as a 12" enclosure but are relatively close -extremely loud for being an 8" speaker. You could fit it all in a car. Anyone I've met who have heard these are always very impressed by them.

http://electrovoice.com/products/250.html

• Members

He doesn't need a lot of PA equipment. He needs a system for two inputs and small venues.

You previously wrote that if he played larger venues, the Bose would cost him a couple thousand to expand, but with a conventional system he'd merely need to add a pair of bigger speakers. A pair of good large powered speakers would also cost a couple thousand dollars. I'm not seeing the economy.

The Bose is definitely not the tool for a loud rock band. But I've heard them used quite successfully for solo and duet acts for lighter genre in typical small and medium club venues.

Well.. a pair of good large powered speakers MIGHT cost a couple thousand dollars, but that wasn't what I was suggesting.

A decent powered mixer with 400 watts a side and a couple decent 12's would suffice for right now. Bigger venues could be easily handled by adding a couple of 15's.. all passive, which would cost well under a thousand dollars for the pair.

Granted the Bose system is fine.. but my points were that if expansion...either expansion of the number of musicians or the size of the venue, were in the future, than expanding the Bose system would double the cost.

A decent powered mixer and twelve inch passive speakers could be had for half the price of the Bose system and expansion would be substantially cheaper.

That is not a disparaging of the Bose system...just a suggestion for a less expensive more easily expanded system. I am not sure what limiting someone's options accomplishes.

Archived