Help, Hook up Sonic Maximizer into Mixer (Let the falme throwers begin!)

• Members

OK I know everyone hates these Sonic Maximizers:rolleyes: I had a 482i sitting around and want to at least try it with my Mackie SRM450 V2's.

The guy at the GC sold me 4 cables: (2) Male XLR to 1/4" and (2) Female XLR.

He said go out of each XLR Monitor Outs n my Mixer using the XLR to 1/4" adapter, then plug the 1/4" end into Channel Both A & B 1/4" inputs on the Sonice Maximzer.

Then use the other Adapter in the 1/4" OUT on the Sonic Maximizer and the other end is an XLR which my Speaker Cable Plugs into and then goes to each Mackie Speaker.

Basically I am using 4 cords (2 for each side) inbetween the Mixer outs into & out of Both Channels A&B on the Sonic Maximizer, then I will plug in each speaker cable from the Sonic Maximzer adapters Outputs and Finally complete the signal by plugging Into my Male XLR Inputs on the back of my (2) Mackie 450 speakers.

Cables I have:

416186jpg.jpg

246662jpg.jpg

Here is the Mixer:

232568.jpg

Here is Link to BIG PICTURE!

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/5/6/8/232568.jpg

Back of Sonic Maximizer picture (click Link was too large to put in

document?base_pid=180913&cpd=0OEY&doc_id

Is there an easier way? It also Has RCA Ins and Outs. Should I use those and HOW????

I know Sonic Maximizers shoudl be blown up and I might blow mine up, but woudl liek to take a listen before I lite the Dynamite:thu::facepalm:

• Members

If you are going to "audition" it with a cd player, I'd just get two insert cables and put your cd player into channel 1 and 2. The insert jacks you thought said input in your cd player thread can be used to get the signal to the maximizer and back with one y cable per channel. You may find more use for this type of adaptor later on too. But I see there are no main inserts, so you'll still need the cables you have if you decide to keep it.

• Members

TexasAxeSlinger -

I'll spare you the usual beatings that result from asking about using a Sonic Maximizer here. Let me try to help you out.

Ok, I am assuming you want to patch the 482i in line with the mains output. Ok, no problem there. One thing you and the GC genius mixed up is the difference between a balanced and an unbalanced line, which has little to do with whether the connector is XLR or 1/4 inch, as both can come in either balanced or un balanced (although XLR is normally used with balanced signals and 1/4 inch TS with unbalanced, exceptions do exitst).

Your 482i uses 1/4 inch or RCA unbalanced inputs and outputs. There are two main outputs on that mixer - an unbalanced 1/4 inch set and a balanced XLR set.

The cables the GC guy sold you do not convert from balanced to unbalanced. To do that you need an adapter that uses a transformer to balance or unbalance the signal.

If it were me, I would run a regular old 1/4 inch out from the mixer to the in of the 482i. From the 482i you could run an unbalanced 1/4 inch cable to your power amp or whatever. You could also use an adapter to then convert from 1/4 inch unbalanced to a balanced XLR connection which you could then send longer distances (i.e, down the snake to your power amp rack).

The cables you have *may* work, but if you run an unbalanced signal into a balanced input or vice versa, you lose signal and probably some sound quality along the way.

Hope this helps!

• Members

The cables the GC guy sold you do not convert from balanced to unbalanced. To do that you need an adapter that uses a transformer to balance or unbalance the signal.

They most certainly do in a practical way!!!

Assuming the standards are followed, pin 3 will be at ground and pin 2 will be the audio + output. The problem is that the OP was told the monitor outs are XLR which they are not.

So, assuming main output was what was ment, the signal will be unbalanced on the XLR to the 1/4" unbalanced input on the Maxim Sodomizer, then unbalanced 1/4" output on the Sodomizer to the XLR which will again have signal on pin 2 referenced to both pin 1 and pin 3. When plugged into the BALANCED XLR input on the spoered speaker, the balanced input (differential input to be more accurate) will look atthe difference between pins 2 and 3 and that will be (Audio +) - (zero) = Audio +

The disadvantages of this are lack of signal ground isolation (no easy or correct way to ground lift pin 1 , audio return carried on the shield, and 6dB lower signal to noise ratio. But it will work and maybe ok given the device it's hooked up to it also may not matter all that much. ;)

Note: there are ways to simulate many of the benefits of a balanced signal output from an unbalanced output, but it's more complicated than the application justifies.

There is also a 1:1 line level audio isolation transformer which is the best solution, but 4 transformers would exceed the cost (and definately the value) of the piece being interfaced.

• Members

Very good reply DedMeet. (Now I just saw Aged Horse snuck in and now I am confused again!)

Here is what I wroBEFORE I saw aged Horses reply:

Now my AMP is IN my Speakers. I have Powered Mackie SRM 450 V2 Powered Speakers. The ONLY input on them for connection from your mixer is an XLR Male connection on the rear of the speaker. I plug the female speaker cord into the MALE connection on the back of the Mackies.

OK so I see on my Mixer the Main Outs are either 1/4"/Unbalanced or XLR/Balanced. So I use the 1/4" outs from my mixer, then a 1/4" Cable that goes into ther IN on each side of the sonic maximizer, then a 1/4" OUT of both 1/4" connections from the SM. Now I am left with (2) 1/4" cords coming out of the (2) Outs on the Sonic Maximzer.

Then I need to get (2) Adapters (1/4" Female to XLR Female) then plug in the (2) 1/4" cables that are coming OUT of the Sonic Maximizer into these adapters and my Original Speaker Cable MALE end into the XLR Female Adapter and then the Female End of my Original Speaker Cable into the Male End on the Back of My Powered Mackies.

OR Maybe Easiercouldn't I just get a 1/4" to Female Long Cord and go Right out of the Sonic Maximizer with the 1/4" and plug the other end right into the speakers.

Man this is way to hard to hook up. I need an FX Loop like my Amps Have.

Thanks

Anyone else

• Members

Now I am confused!!:confused: OK My Mixer does have XLR or 1/4" Main Outs. I DID tell the GC guy that I wasa running XLR outs to my speakers.

OK so are (4) cables consisting of (2) adapter types that were shown in my original post GOING TO WORK?

I am not sure if I am supposed to use them now or not.:facepalm:

• Members

He said go out of each XLR Monitor Outs n my Mixer using the XLR to 1/4" adapter, then plug the 1/4" end into Channel Both A & B 1/4" inputs on the Sonice Maximzer.

Yes, you are confused.

If you are confused now, why don't you wait until you find out "why you do or do not need this device? Why add more confusion for (IMO) no practical value?

Get the basics down cold first.

• Members

I appreciate the advice. I am a pretty accomplished musician, with a good set of ears, even though I do it just for fun. I play most instruments but I just never had a PA before. I don't Need one, but always wanted one so I can play my Keys, my acoustic guitar out of whiel I sing, my electronic drums etc etc etc and have buddies over for Jam sessions as well as me playign drums to music so I can hear the music and also playign my guitar to cd's etc etc which is fun for me. There ar eother things I will use it for as well.

Now I am sure a SM is a snake Oil to some. I mean Hell I bought it myself and Never Use it. Been in a box for a year and used it once! So I am being honest there:facepalm::lol:

It was OK, but never had the desire to add ti back and I used to have a Bogner Ecstasy Head, actually I have another one coming now because I was so sad after selling it 4 years ago!

I Heard the SM with my ears at GC and it 100% sounded better to my ears. I don't knwo what they had hooked up or what. Now this wasn't in a concert, for a band at a club or venue, for a big important mix, but just listening to a cd in a medium sized room. All I am likley using this for is my House for now, anyway, but if it does make CD/MP3 etc etc Music sound better, even if it is some type of quick EQ BS, then great and it is fun to switch it on for me. ha ha

Now I bet in Lamens Terms if someone didn't tell some of you that we were testing out a Sonic Maximzer and said hey I got 2 pairs of new speakers, check then out and then used the SM ON and OFF (saying each was a different speaker) and said which speakers sound better. I bet some of you (even the seasoned people on here) could very well pick the SM as being the better sounding entity.

That was a way out example to say, Hey let me listen to it and see what I think on MY set up and get a few opinions from other average listeners that don't know what the heck a Sonic Maximer is.

Thansk again, just throwing some food for though and I am sure I will get blasted:rolleyes:. I Really wish I could do that experiment just to see what happens.

Using the wonder GC as an example:facepalm:I gurantee if you pushed the SM ON and OFF and said which is better (from what I heard) 80% would pick the SM ON, maybe more, at least from the difference that when I was listening anybody could hear. It was a dramatic difference. Now after a whiel it may be snake oil! Now I am also not saying an EQ couldn't do the same thing, but just taking a speaker alone, and then a speaker with a sonic maxizer to an average normal music listener walking in a msuic store and the results would definately be interesting.:eek::facepalm::lol:

• Members

Then I need to get (2) Adapters (1/4" Female to XLR Female) then plug in the (2) 1/4" cables that are coming OUT of the Sonic Maximizer into these adapters and my Original Speaker Cable MALE end into the XLR Female Adapter and then the Female End of my Original Speaker Cable into the Male End on the Back of My Powered Mackies.

[

Don't want to add to you confusion but, the input on your mackie's should be female. The male plug is the loop out.

Just the fact that the maximizer is unbalanced should be enough of a reason to get rid of it.

• Members

i would probably pick the non-sm signal as the 'better speakers'.

the sm's are quickly fatigueing. i just did a show saturday where a dj was in between sets and used one; many folks in the audience asked me why it sounded funny when the dj played and fine when the band played. i pointed at his aphex.

• Members

Gary,

There are some things that you should realize about the sonic maximizer.

First, the bypass is not true bypass, that is when you hit the bypass button it doesn't sound the same as unplugging the unit. I am 100% certain they did this on purpose to sell more units. Example:

Salesman: Check out this unit, it makes everything sound better!

Unknowing Customer: "Okay turn it on"

*Salesman turns on the unit"

Customer: Wow that does sound a little better! Turn it off again

*Salesman hits bypass*

Customer: Yeah, that does sound worse, i'll take one!

Second, the maximizer emphasises a lot of frequency content that makes the sound more "vibrant", but it's also the same frequencies that fatigue your ears. So after a few minutes your ears tend to hurt.

Third, I suggest you use this as an effect for an instrument. For example, try putting accoustic guitar through it. Or just use it for the CD player. Use it as an effect for a channel, not for the overal mix.

Good luck, have fun!

-greg

• Members

my band played saturday after a two year hiatus and halfway through i swore i saw a giant flameball shoot out from the location where my subs were. it was quite beautiful but it scared the crap out of me; i was quite sure i had catostrophically destroyed my sub (i was running the rig hard). i stopped playing for a microsecond before realizing the sub was still in fact pounding me near to death on stage and must be fine - and i was completely sober at the time as well so i didnt understand what i saw.

about 5 minutes later it happened again only this time i watched closer and realized i had seen the "pattern shooting pinlight thingy" near the sub shot directly into a gold/silver sequined dress that a quite lovely woman was wearing while dancing by the sub and the reflections/refractions looked similar to a giant flame out of a perfectly nice 18" driver out of the corner of my eye.

might have to get falmethrowers installed in said subs

• Members

Gary,

There are some things that you should realize about the sonic maximizer.

First, the bypass is not true bypass, that is when you hit the bypass button it doesn't sound the same as unplugging the unit. I am 100% certain they did this on purpose to sell more units. Example:

Salesman: Check out this unit, it makes everything sound better!

Unknowing Customer: "Okay turn it on"

*Salesman turns on the unit"

Customer: Wow that does sound a little better! Turn it off again

*Salesman hits bypass*

Customer: Yeah, that does sound worse, i'll take one!

Second, the maximizer emphasises a lot of frequency content that makes the sound more "vibrant", but it's also the same frequencies that fatigue your ears. So after a few minutes your ears tend to hurt.

Third, I suggest you use this as an effect for an instrument. For example, try putting accoustic guitar through it. Or just use it for the CD player. Use it as an effect for a channel, not for the overal mix.

Good luck, have fun!

-greg

Greg,

That is IT. That is what I meant By the difference with it ON and OFF/ByPass engaged. The Bypass makes the signal sound like a blanket is on it, then you engage it and it sounds way like the blanket is lifted OFF.

I bet if I heard the signal cleanly and then had the SM side by side it would not be so dramatic.

With the Bypass being used as an A B of the Two sounds, it tricks a lot of people. I will try what you said in the coming week to see what happens.

Tex:thu:

• Members

Generally, any increase in bass and high frequencies sounds better to our ears at lower volumes - why the LOUDNESS switch on home amps/receivers was created. Our ears are most sensitive to midrange frequecies, so when they are able to hear more of the lows and highs (such as when you press that loudness switch - or add a maximizer in the chain), it's sort of like a treat to our ears, and it does seem to sound better. Now increase the volume - and these boosts, especially the high frequency ones, will soon become irritating - especially as our hearing response flattens out after being exposed to a certain amount of sound. The low frequency boost for its part, will give your woofers the workout of a lifetime while gobbling your system's headroom.

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

GC had me sold too with the A/B comparison with a prerecorded CD. good thing I am not a impulse buyer. (I did not buy THE cHRONIC SCRAPAMIZER)

out of curiousity has anyone A/B'd the bypass and direct line to identical speakers to toss or accept this theory? "WE NEED MYTHBUSTERS!!"

• Members

I had a really good sound tech show me how a Sonic Assimizer worked on a guitar rig going through a console. Then he showed me proper technique dialing in the channel for the right microphone for a guitar cab. The Assimizer is just a band-aid that masks your true tonal problems.

If you have a properly EQ'd truly flat-response sound system, there's no reason to use an Assimizer. If you don't like the tone of something, the SOURCE is the problem. Get an amp with less suck embedded in it.

I most frequently see Ampeg users with Assimizers in their rigs, "To give me more punch and definition." THAT'S CUZ YOU'RE USING AN ASSPEG! Get an amp with cleaner, flatter tone from the start!!! Get an Eden rig, or a Genz Benz rig, or an Aguilar or Mark Bass! Anything but an Ampeg! They're nothing but low end rumble, poor definition and clarity, and clackity harshness in the high end.

The other major case, is guitarists with racks full of EQ's to try to dial every nuance of their frequency spectrum. How about you just get a good amp? Trying to band-aid an amp just cuz you've got it and refuse to get rid of it, is an expensive, time-consuming, and wasteful process.

• CMS Author

That's the thing that often gets lost in these discussions...the maximizers are an effects unit, and should be treated as such. It's relatively rare to put an effect on the entire mix, but quite common on individual instruments. I too have heard much better results using them on guitars than any other use.

Archived