Help, Hook up Sonic Maximizer into Mixer (Let the falme throwers begin!)

• CMS Author

I had a really good sound tech show me how a Sonic Assimizer worked on a guitar rig going through a console. Then he showed me proper technique dialing in the channel for the right microphone for a guitar cab. The Assimizer is just a band-aid that masks your true tonal problems.

If you have a properly EQ'd truly flat-response sound system, there's no reason to use an Assimizer. If you don't like the tone of something, the SOURCE is the problem. Get an amp with less suck embedded in it.

I most frequently see Ampeg users with Assimizers in their rigs, "To give me more punch and definition." THAT'S CUZ YOU'RE USING AN ASSPEG! Get an amp with cleaner, flatter tone from the start!!! Get an Eden rig, or a Genz Benz rig, or an Aguilar or Mark Bass! Anything but an Ampeg! They're nothing but low end rumble, poor definition and clarity, and clackity harshness in the high end.

The other major case, is guitarists with racks full of EQ's to try to dial every nuance of their frequency spectrum. How about you just get a good amp? Trying to band-aid an amp just cuz you've got it and refuse to get rid of it, is an expensive, time-consuming, and wasteful process.

Which Ampeg? And if you say "all of them" I know you're full of asspegs.....

• Members

Anything other than the SVT Classic or the SVT-3PRO. The B5R is a gimmick with horrible distortion, the 6PRO is just too complicated of an amp to dial the EQ to what sounds good, and the B4R's are designed to be bi-amped into different cabs, which always makes getting balanced volume more difficult.

The Classic (the silver reissues are GLORIOUS!) is a growly, snarly amp, but far too glitchy for me to ever trust. Especially when Eden now has the E300T for 600 bucks less, and infinitely better tone.

The SVT3PRO is pretty much a reliable amp, but I always have to use the graphic EQ to fix things. I despise that. I want a bass amp to sound good with its EQ flat, and that's never happened with any Ampeg I've ever tried or owned. The B2R I had was the same way, needed tons of EQ tweaking to get it right. My Eden WT550, however, I run every time with the EQ flat as can be, sometimes with a bit more on the Bass knob if the room is dry and deadens my good rumble.

• Members

Get an amp with less suck embedded in it.

lol! I need that in sticker format .... local guy here swears his Nady power amp into Behringer cab sounds better than any other half stack on the market ...:facepalm:

As far as the Ampegs go, always have issues with B2R's being noise-prone. Seems the popular choice locally but I don't want one, my 12 year old Trace Elliot does well for me ... different is good (in this case ... and Arby's) :thu:

• Members

The SVT3PRO is pretty much a reliable amp, but I always have to use the graphic EQ to fix things. I despise that. I want a bass amp to sound good with its EQ flat, and that's never happened with any Ampeg I've ever tried or owned.

Maybe the problem is the guitar, because my SVP-Pro sounds excellent with my MIM Jazz and I'm not using the graphic EQ at all.

• Members

lol! I need that in sticker format .... local guy here swears his Nady power amp into Behringer cab sounds better than any other half stack on the market ...
:facepalm:

As far as the Ampegs go, always have issues with B2R's being noise-prone. Seems the popular choice locally but I don't want one, my 12 year old Trace Elliot does well for me ... different is good (in this case ... and Arby's)
:thu:

GOD DAMN IT CAN WE JUST BAN MUSICIANS WHO USE BEHRINGER GEAR??? That 810 bass cab of theirs is an abomination. Horrid. Why, God, why...

Got no hatred for TE, just never found one I liked. My B2R wasn't noisy, just CRAPPY. Dead lifeless tone, weak, and stale.

• CMS Author

Anything other than the SVT Classic or the SVT-3PRO. The B5R is a gimmick with horrible distortion, the 6PRO is just too complicated of an amp to dial the EQ to what sounds good, and the B4R's are designed to be bi-amped into different cabs, which always makes getting balanced volume more difficult.

The Classic (the silver reissues are GLORIOUS!) is a growly, snarly amp, but far too glitchy for me to ever trust. Especially when Eden now has the E300T for 600 bucks less, and infinitely better tone.

The SVT3PRO is pretty much a reliable amp, but I always have to use the graphic EQ to fix things. I despise that. I want a bass amp to sound good with its EQ flat, and that's never happened with any Ampeg I've ever tried or owned. The B2R I had was the same way, needed tons of EQ tweaking to get it right. My Eden WT550, however, I run every time with the EQ flat as can be, sometimes with a bit more on the Bass knob if the room is dry and deadens my good rumble.

Well, I've had an SVT-CL for the last 4 years of steady use, no problems whatsoever. Before that, an SVT-4PRO for over a year. Neither come anywhere close to the "low end rumble, poor definition and clarity, and clackity harshness in the high end" description you painted Ampeg with, unless that's the tone you want and EQ it that way. Same for all the other Ampeg's I've played through over the years.

Archived