Brian M ay Red Special guitar Help Identifying the maker

• Members

looking for help identifying the maker of this Brian May Red special guitar.  I'll get a pick of the serial number soon.  Says red special on the head stock 

I think there is a ce sticker on the back of the headstock.

It plays great and sounds really nice.

Any help would be appreciated.

REd special.jpg

REd special 2.jpg

• Moderators

Not a BMG...not Burns...not Harley Benton...not Guild...not Greco.  Those are the usual suspects.

We will need better pics..neck joint, controls, tuners...

There is no plate behind the bridge...do you know who manufactures the bridge [Kahler, Wilkinson...?]

It does have May's unique neck dot pattern.

How long have you had the guitar, and what did you pay for it?

To my knowledge, neither GF or Rondo have knocked off a copy.

There have been so many versions of the 'Red Special', this may be hard to pin down, as there are plenty of Chinese knock-offs on the market, customizable kits and one-offs.

Some places you can look:

CQuadro Guitar Works (now Carpinteri Guitars) in Italy makes Red Special replicas (the Bohemian and the Extreme).[23]

Dansan Guitars makes Red Special replicas hand built in France.[24]

Dillion Guitars (prior to 2014 were built in Korea) making "Tribute Guitars" in two models. Dillion Guitars are manufactured in Vietnam by Inyen Vina CO. LTD of Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam.[25] [26]

RS Custom Guitars run by Everett Wood makes a variety of Red Special style replicas hand-built in Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.[27]

RS Guitars which were hand-built in Arizona, U.S. by Steve Turpin discontinued production of their models in January 2011.[28]

In Germany Scheithauer Guitars makes a Red Special style replica called "Mayday" in Mühlhausen.[29]

• Members

O.K.  I'll get more pics later today.

It bought it from an individual that was a selling a group of guitars from a relative that passed.

I'm in t for $300.00.  I'm o.k. with that because it sounds great and plays really nice.  But I would like to know who made it.

the fret board appears to be Rosewood.

Thanks for all your help.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Daniel Talbott said:

O.K.  I'll get more pics later today.

It bought it from an individual that was a selling a group of guitars from a relative that passed.

I'm in t for $300.00.  I'm o.k. with that because it sounds great and plays really nice.  But I would like to know who made it.

the fret board appears to be Rosewood.

Thanks for all your help.

Sadly, I'm in the middle of doing that for an old friend....

• Moderators

ah, but which way to read those numbers? 0060918 or 8160900?:D

Agreed the Jinhos are Korean tuners...and most of the detailing is accurate, although there is no truss rod cover, and no plastic plate behind the bridge.

So possibly the pre-2014 Dillon...or :idk:

• Members
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, daddymack said:

ah, but which way to read those numbers? 0060918 or 8160900?:D

0060918 - the top of the 1 has a tag showing which way up it should go, the upper circle on the 8 is smaller than the lower one.

Someone on this forum might be able to help: https://redspecialforum.com/? although they may only be interested in the original instrument.

Edited by Ancient Mariner