NGD and it's probably DM approved!

badpenguin

• Members

So, a while back, one of the local pawn shops had this Epiphone Custom for the stupid price of over 700. Looked at it, snorted, and wondered how high the worker was when they took it in. The other day, a guy I know who also scours the pawn world, stopped by my work and told me the guitar was marked down. A LOT. So much so, that I called Mrs. P, told her to grab some cash and head down there and look at it for me. (Of course, this was the day that all the roads were blocked due to a major accident on the highway. Her version of the story would contain MANY censored words.)

She called me, after a few of those censored words describing her drive, said it was gorgeous, and nothing wrong as she could see, but the clerk said there was something wrong with it, hence the much lower price. I come home, pick it up, and it's nice. Super nice. I mean, hidden under the bed for a decade kind of nice. Plug it in, play a few notes on crappy strings, and giggle. VERY nice. Clean, oil the board, polish the frets, new strings, and tune. Intonation is perfect up and down the neck. I couldn't find a damn thing wrong with it, other than a few little scratches and scraps. I expect that in a used guitar. So I sit, and play, and play, turning knobs, switching between pickups, adding gain, you know the drill. I even tugged on the knobs, and surprise, the volumes are coil taps. I still have no idea about what could be wrong with it.

It's a 2011 Samick Indonesian made Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro, in black of course, with the Probucker 2 and 3 pickups. Rosewood board, but hey, everything can't be ebony. Oh, and the price......

20240214_212851.thumb.jpg.4259408ff8278feb534146a25f4c7713.jpg

20240214_212902.thumb.jpg.13ab5f2cc2125e6a0ade99578e5a836e.jpg

20240214_212913.thumb.jpg.41cb140b61874f19069169651c53a867.jpg

20240214_212945.thumb.jpg.2b7131f78ceefc5f42874ed6f788b1e9.jpg

...  was only 200!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

What a stroke of luck to stumble upon such a fantastic find at a pawn shop! Initially dismissed due to its high price, a friend's alert about a significant price drop led to the discovery of an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro in excellent condition. Despite concerns raised by the seller, thorough inspection revealed no issues, and an added bonus was discovered with the volume knobs functioning as coil taps, expanding the guitar's versatility. Kudos to your wife for braving a difficult commute to confirm its condition. Overall, it's clear you've scored a remarkable deal on a beautiful and fully functional instrument. Congratulations are definitely in order!