HSH, HSS, Or both SSS+HH?!? PC static. Tones I want? $100 Strat?

guitargo25

• Members

Skip to last paragraph for short version!

From 2000-2004 I played several thousands of hours on a $100 SSS Squire Strat, a ~$60 amp, and a ~$200 (at the time) DigiTech RP-1 FX processor.

Then got more into synths and PC sequencing. When I plugged the guitar to the PC with a ~$125 audiophile soundcard it was extreme static. I tried shielding the guitar cavity but likely the poor job I did made no difference and I ended up not playing much guitar. I sold the strat + amp for like $50 thinking I'd get a better guitar for the PC, I might have known at the time humbuckers were a bit quieter but also thought I wanted something a bit better like a $500 Ibanez (no idea what pickups) I played at the store seemed to have better action and feel, and looked awesome. 

I never got around to upgrading guitars, I just impulse bought one day around 2009 another $100 SSS strat off eBay just to have something. I sold that sort of recently for basically nothing. I don't want the tremolo bar seemed to make it go out of tune and I barely used tremolo (can sort of do with FX pedal) and I installed a floyd rose lock nut that kept giving me problems. 

Anyway, from youtube comparisons humbuckers aren't going to be night and day difference for static vs a strat plugged into a computer. Proper shielding is likely most important. I don't think I have any ground issue and I don't have much plugged into the PC besides monitors, keyboard, mouse, printer, USB audio interface, but even ceiling lights etc can affect static. 

Whatever I end up getting I'll do a proper shielding. 

What I didn't know didn't hurt me because I basically always played the strat with only the neck pickup i.e switch lever all the way up, I thought that sounded fullest and used most of the pickups but was wrong, and I almost never played any other setting besides the bridge pickup alone but thought bridge sounded too twangy and had to put a ton of FX on it to get it sounding how I liked. But surprisingly come to find things like Comfortably Numb solo is played with just the bridge pickup, lots of other things I'm watching youtubers and I was expecting to see more using just the neck pickup. Despite I preferred just the neck pickup, now I want to use other settings. 

I really want a humbucker too because although the tone won't be night or day difference vs a SSS, and I'm getting a solid body and not a semi or hollow, I really like Blues guitar which seems to be played on humbucker semi hollows. I like Surf guitar too and I thought that was semi/hollow body humbucker but read it's SSS. I like Dixieland jazz/blues Louisiana black people jazz/blues, "1997 weather channel music blues' (lol YouTube DOES have a playlist), which I thought was semi/hollow body HH but could be wrong. I thought heavy metal/ Metallica was SSS but Metallica is HH, I like like tone like Chile Peppers Under the bridge intro which is Telecaster probably more like a SSS than an HH. We like everything lol.  

I like to keep my gear minimal but I think I might be limiting myself if I get a hybrid i.e missing my preferred neck single coil (despite what I know now people aren't using it for basically everything) so if I get a neck single coil I might be missing a tone I prefer with a Humber at the neck, and vice versa bridge. 

I'm buying a Boss ME-80 fx processor might have hollow/HH etc emulator and also there's VSTs. 

Overall my style if I produce a track is very electronic though and the guitar isn't really the main character and it doesn't have to sound perfect in a certain way, but sometimes I also just want to jam pure guitar.

It seems I should get 2 guitars, one a SSS and the other HH. To be honest, besides the static the $100 Squier Strat sounded great to me, I'd argue that even cheap technology now might be better than what they had in maybe the 60s or something but I really don't know that, just saying, some costs could be placebo affect. 

I wanted to buy just one guitar for like $700, went to Sam Ash the other day and played some dual humbuckers and they all sounded great and the same to me whether $250 or $700, and I couldn't even hear a difference from the SSSs I played through this amp.

Guitar Center + Sam Ash rent guitars pretty cheap (maybe only used) which is good but I'm thinking I might just get another $150 SSS. I hear the mexican ones are almost as good for much less but maybe the $150-$200 ones aren't mexican. Plus a HH solid body for like $500 or heck even the $250 sounded great to me but I don't really want to always wish I spent a bit more. I'm reading the difference between pricey and cheap guitars granted there's not some total error made by the builder isn't night and day, yes the neck wood and truss rod could cause a cheaper one to go out of tune more or mess with the action and I'm very partial to the action being nice and low but not buzzing. Also pricier guitars have better hardware etc despite not trmolo bar things like that I just prefer as with anything in construction or something that it's better to overbuild than underbuild. 

Should I get both a cheap ~$200 SSS and cheap $200 HH guitar? 

Rent an HSS or HSH despite I'll likely be missing tones I really want? I'm not keen on renting though, distracting due date rushing feeling. I'm leaning towards buying a ~$500 HH and I think once I really get to play it without distraction/rush of a rental I'll be able to feel a difference between an SSS, then I can decide how much I want to spend on an SSS, or worst case scenario take a loss for the $500 selling it used and get something more $700 range and/or $700 range SSS, because I'm sure once I start reading the small details between pickups etc for better guitars I'll want to upgrade rather then feel I'm limiting myself.

but I'm still wondering, as mentioned if despite a lot of songs are NOT using just the neck pickup of an SSS like I assumed and preferred that setting, will I then likely prefer to have a Humbucker at the neck too and therefore no hybrid would suit me?

• Members

ok it turns out I'll likely get both an SSS and HH (or HSH, still have to research that seem HSH would only give more tone but some are saying it's not that simple plus the middle S can get in the way of picking). Both will be around $500. It's very common for players to have both an SSS and HH. Also read "Jazz is almost exclusively played with a neck humbucker with the tone rolled down fyi"
So yes like I asked, you can only have one or the other near the neck and this can greatly affect tone and I preferred S near the neck but also want blues/jazz tones. 

I like les paul style HHs, the idea of a fingerboard, I remember getting some lessons from my brother's teacher back in like 1994 he kept telling me not to rest my pinkie on the guitar (w/o a fingerboard) but I see my favorite player The Barber from disco biscuits does this but his also has a fingerboard Gibson ES-135. 
Thing I don't like about these though is I like to strum pretty aggressively and wide sometimes, and sometimes with the pick angled a bit so it doesn't catch, and near the neck where it's less likely to catch and pop a string, I think I've knocked my finger on the neck a couple times where it sticks out about 1/4" from the body, so the fingerboard and the switch above the neck may be in the way for these strums, but I'll get used to it or something else. 

I read no shielding needed if HHs are encased in metal so I might look into that if available in my ~$500 range, also if the pups with covers (I like how looks at least) are different than the HHS with rods exposed. 

• Members
8 minutes ago, guitargo25 said:

ok it turns out I'll likely get both an SSS and HH (or HSH, still have to research that seem HSH would only give more tone but some are saying it's not that simple plus the middle S can get in the way of picking). Both will be around $500. It's very common for players to have both an SSS and HH. Also read "Jazz is almost exclusively played with a neck humbucker with the tone rolled down fyi"
So yes like I asked, you can only have one or the other near the neck and this can greatly affect tone and I preferred S near the neck but also want blues/jazz tones. 

I like les paul style HHs, the idea of a fingerboard, I remember getting some lessons from my brother's teacher back in like 1994 he kept telling me not to rest my pinkie on the guitar (w/o a fingerboard) but I see my favorite player The Barber from disco biscuits does this but his also has a fingerboard Gibson ES-135. 
Thing I don't like about these though is I like to strum pretty aggressively and wide sometimes, and sometimes with the pick angled a bit so it doesn't catch, and near the neck where it's less likely to catch and pop a string, I think I've knocked my finger on the neck a couple times where it sticks out about 1/4" from the body, so the fingerboard and the switch above the neck may be in the way for these strums, but I'll get used to it or something else. 

I read no shielding needed if HHs are encased in metal so I might look into that if available in my ~$500 range, also if the pups with covers (I like how looks at least) are different than the HHS with rods exposed. 

ok, so you played a SSS Squier for years, and seem to think that a HSH, the middle pickup will get in the way. Why? Did it on the SSS? I would recommend a GOOD HSH over 2 ok ones. Look at Ibanez. Look at USED Ibanez. And a very simple wiring trick will help you get 7 different tones. Like all three on, and neck and bridge on at the same time.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, guitargo25 said:

I will assume that where you are using the term 'fingerboard', you mean pickguard.

BTW, there could have been a myriad of issues between your instrument and your PC 'buzzing', like fluorescent lights, bad grounding or reversed polarity on the house current, poorly grounded/shielded interface/cable. You could just buy preconfigured pickguard[s] for the Squier, for a lot less than replacing the guitar.

• Members
5 hours ago, badpenguin said:

ok, so you played a SSS Squier for years, and seem to think that a HSH, the middle pickup will get in the way. Why? Did it on the SSS? I would recommend a GOOD HSH over 2 ok ones. Look at Ibanez. Look at USED Ibanez. And a very simple wiring trick will help you get 7 different tones. Like all three on, and neck and bridge on at the same time.

that's exactly what I was thinking when I read people sort of complain about the middle pickup of an HSH getting in the way, it never bothered me with the SSS. But they also said if you omit the S in an HSH, then the HH of that is different than a plain HH, which could be false. 

Well I went to guitar center today and still can't hear much night and day difference between an SSS and an HH even a hollow body HH. Others are suggesting the same that it's better to get 1 $1,000 hybrid guitar then a $500 SSS and a $500 HH, I don't really want used either. 

I played a $650 stratocaster and the action, the neck curvature, it just felt so good in the hands that I was leaning towards that compared to the action (which can be adjusted though) and neck feel of the ~$500 HH solid bodys I played, but also I love that clean blues sound usually done with HH semi/hollow body but that could have a lot to with amp, effects etc too.

Really I think I need to bring either a decent SSS or HH home and really get into it day after day and then get the other and the differences should show. If I have to sell one or the other and upgrade and take a loss that's fine too. 

• Moderators

If I could only own one electric guitar, it would probably be an HSS strat. IMO, the HSS configuration is probably the most versatile one. I feel like a bridge humbucker is a must especially if you occasionally want a rocking tone. HSS is probably a good compromise for most modern music too.

• Like 1

• Members

I'm looking for new, something neutral body style and sound for anything from jazz/blues to heavy metal to electronic, Something like a Les Paul I think looks neutral for any style of music. But I don't think I can bring myself to purchase something without regular dot fret inlays, and basically no Les Pauls have dots, I'm too accustomed to dots, IMHO this should be standardized and it's way worse than something like playing a regular piano for your whole life then having to play something with reverse color keys or mini keys or something. I know many people get used to it but I'm pretty much set on dots even though a Les Paul might have most of the criteria I'm looking for. 

For ~$700 I think an HH would have 2 better pickups than an HSH. I'm getting a ~$700 SSS Strat too. All the reading I did on coil splitting, tapping, knob-pull filters for more bite/twang etc, I still think I'll prefer a dedicated SSS Strat for that side of the spectrum and the covered HH for the other (AND I might be tempted to one day get a semi hollow body HH for blues/jazz etc but that's not definite). Besides an HH likely having 2 better pickups when omitting the third 3 middle S in the same price range, I think the pickups that don't multi-task split/tapping/filters etc would have better overall quality/tone. 

I want covered HH pickups because I want the least noise especially for plugging into PC USB interface my old ~$175 unshielded SSS Strat-clone was very noisy (my new SSS will get shielding), and I know HH will still be much quieter than an SSS at the cost of less twang/bite, but YouTube comparisons between covered and uncovered HHs show they're quieter when shielded. I read if HHs are covered then there's no need to shield the cavity, is this correct? As long as the covers are soldered/grounded to the pickup housing, and basically every covered HH comes grounded like this from the factory? I saw some guy on YouTube use bathtub caulk lol just to hold retro-fitted covers in place and many commented that he didn't ground it for less noise. 

I don't need tremolo because I don't use that much and it can cause tone and tuning changes, I want fixed bridge, hardtail or string-through. 

I want a main brand in case I need to replace a bridge or pickup or knob or something later on, but I searched all the HH options in this price range on Musician's Friend, Sam Ash, and Sweetwater but didn't really see anything that fits my whole criteria. 

I like the Les Paul angled pickguard as a hand rest for picking, but since I'm likely not getting a Les Paul because of the block/trapezoid fret inlays, I'm thinking I can still retrofit an aftermarket one to most guitars even though it has a metal bracket which is supposed to hook to the bottom of the guitar I can likely omit it, and shim the lower area with a screw propped up with a spacer underneath the pickguard, I'll drill a few holes for screws, maybe even metal female thread-inserts so the threads stay good because I'll likely be using it just as much with the angled pickguard removed because I sometimes like to strum fast and aggressive and don't want to knock my fingers on the angle pickguard's bottom edge, nor the upper tone switch on Les Pauls above the neck where I sometimes strum aggressively. There a PickNPro hand rest for acoustics that straps around the body and basically hovers over the strings near the bridge but then I'd loose the tone of picking/strumming near the bridge which I like. 

One last thing I'd like a solid black or white or something light/dark colored so I can see the strings easiest, preferably light/white. 

thanks for any input. 

• Members

Les Paul Special has dots. (Find them used for the 700 range) A few seconds with Google shows this.

Les Paul Double cut has dots. (Again, used in he 700 range)

Epiphones have dots.

But the big question here is, do you look at the fretboard constantly, or the side of the neck?

And you need the contrast of the light/dark body to see the strings? Vision issues?

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

I've been using strat styled guitars for ages. I'm also not accustomed to block inlays. I DO like the aesthetics of block inlays. But I do see the issue about accidentally reading the fret wrong. Especially if there's a block inlay on the 1st fret, then it might get a bit "dyslexic" with the 5th and 7th frets. Also the 12th fret looks just like the rest.

I never found coil-tap or split coils all that useful. I think the middle position in a HH is good enough to get that clean open tone.

Any particular scale length you prefer? Body shape, cutaway style?

• Moderators

simple answer...

ESP makes several lines of guitars, like LTD, Edwards and Navigator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESP_Guitars

https://www.amazon.com/ESP-EC-256-Electric-Guitar-Black/dp/B00BEZY290

ESP Guitars launches 43 new models for 2022 | Guitar.com | All Things Guitar

personally I think 'seeing' the strings is not an issue, and block inlays are easy to get used to, and the 12 fret one is distinct because there are two un-inlayed frets on either side. Looking at the pic above, I think the strings on the black guitar are much easier to see.

If I were looking to cover that much territory with an H-H, I would likely go with a semi-hollow...but that is just me, and I have all sorts of guitars to cover all sorts of music.

As to grounding /shielding, do not confuse or conflate the two. Shielding is to deter external signal noise from RF signals which can come from a myriad of sources, particularly fluorescent lights. Shielding the cavity is important because all the wiring, pots, and jack are there, all acting like an antenna. Grounding is there to keep you from getting electrocuted😉

As to covered uncovered p-ups? Meh...more online nonsense that started decades ago when people believed their p-ups were louder with the covers removed. It is far more of an aesthetic choice than for grounding or shielding. 

Do not accept everything posted on the intawebz as being true...particularly if you have no idea who the poster is! :wave:

Your picking hand should not be 'resting' on the pickguard... at most, the heel of your picking hand could be 'resting' on the bridge, allowing for muting. But really, your picking hand should be able to move freely across the strings, not anchored below them.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, davie said:

I've been using strat styled guitars for ages. I'm also not accustomed to block inlays. I DO like the aesthetics of block inlays. But I do see the issue about accidentally reading the fret wrong. Especially if there's a block inlay on the 1st fret, then it might get a bit "dyslexic" with the 5th and 7th frets. Also the 12th fret looks just like the rest.

I never found coil-tap or split coils all that useful. I think the middle position in a HH is good enough to get that clean open tone.

Any particular scale length you prefer? Body shape, cutaway style?

How are blocks more confusing than dots? I can't see how a 1st fret block would be an issue except to a rank beginner, which I know you are not. I have guitars with both and I have no real preference, although the blocks look much more 'high-end'.  I, too, like the out-of-phase sound of the mid switch position on a H-H, or even an S-S, like a Tele, Mustang, Jaguar, Jazzmaster.

• Members

The ONLY inlays, other than none, that can confuse me for a second or two, is the tree of life. But again..... side dots.

And I don't see how squares/trapezoid/dots/birds/ skulls/whatever can "confuse" the player. You really don't see them if you have some bare basic proper technique.

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, badpenguin said:

The ONLY inlays, other than none, that can confuse me for a second or two, is the tree of life. But again..... side dots.

And I don't see how squares/trapezoid/dots/birds/ skulls/whatever can "confuse" the player. You really don't see them if you have some bare basic proper technique.

I did have to adjust to the Gretsch-style 'half-moon' left edge inlays [see my avatar]..took about an hour:lol:

• Moderators

Hmm.. good point. I think I was probably taking it from a beginner's perspective, since beginners tend to look at the fingerboard mainly.

I just picked up one of my guitars a minute ago and just realized that all I could see were the side dot inlays.. lol 😂

I didn't even realize until you guys mentioned it. I don't even think about this stuff when I play.

• Like 1

• Members

The yamaha revstar I have bookmarked but unsure if the high pass filter which in my mind I won't need if I get an SSS also takes away value from the pickup quality if they didn't have that feature.

HH TELEcaster I'm very interested in , others suggested it, initially I glanced over it thinking a Tele was a Tele and why did it even come up in my HH search?! but now I'm thinking it might be about exactly what I'm looking for minus the pickguard but I could retro fit that.
The $800-range Player one I just don't like that black switch is right under the bridge pickup where I might knock it w my finger.

the action sounds promising too. I played some ~$700 strat and a ~$50 Les Paul and the action and everything felt amazing compared to the ~$150 Squier Strat clone I had before.
slim and comfortable “C”-shaped neck profile with an easy-playing 9.5”-radius fingerboard and narrow-tall frets, as well as a vintage-style Telecaster bridge with a string-through-body design and individual steel saddles for precise adjustment.

It seems like a drastic difference that I think others are like 3" more circumference but those might boast about easy playability too. I have to check in store again what I prefer.

The humbuckers being covered and likely soldered on the HH tele means no need for shielding for least-hum?

The pickups are a neutral tone and decent quality? but I see there's a 70's style for $450 and a regular for $275, I'd want the more expensive one notes Alnico humbuckers but maybe they're geared towards 70's/vintage tone/jazz but the cheaper one might not be better, just says fender humbuckers no name.

I did hear side by side video that shows covered humbuckers were quieter, less tonal options maybe, but quieter/canned and I'm going with that for my HH solid body, and the second guitar SSS even shielded will give me all the other sharper/bell tones. 

• Members

ok, play the Yamaha thru an amp similar to what you play out of, and play with the knobs. You might like what you hear.

The HH Tele.... ok, it sounds as if you are nitpicking here, over a design that has worked for over 70 years. It's NOT the same as your past Squier! It's a different guitar, with different features. It will require a learning curve. They ALL do. After a while, you don't notice the differences in design, or in shape, or in placement of knobs. You grab it, and play. (I have 45 guitars right now, I think DM has near the same. and mine range from strats, to Pauls, SG, different models and designs of Ibanez, a 55 Guild jazz box, a 62 Silvertone Danelectro, with different pickups, knobs, what-not. I pick one up, and play. It's that simple. And I can bet DM does the same, though all of his are black. 😀)

if the HH Tele feels right, than you can flip the switch and pots around. Something that will take a screw driver, and wrench, and a few seconds of your time. People been doing it for almost as long as the tele's been alive.

Humbuckers in GENERAL have less hum. The cover is mostly cosmetic. Yeah... you might get a 3db gain in output uncovered, or so the legends say, but they are for show.

Edited by badpenguin
  • Thanks 1

• Members

sorry long posts, probably the last one!

I'm back from testing for about an hour at Guitar Center.

Yes in YouTube nit-picky videos I can hear a difference between covered/uncovered Humbuckers, between H and S neck/bridge, etc, But to be honest when I play at the store it's hard to hear any difference between even a strat SSS or an HH (of course something like a clean neck H will sound quite different than a clean bridge S though) but in general it's basically all electric guitar to me, I tend to play with a lot of FX too and distortion, but what you don't know doesn't hurt you and now I know all this stuff about HH vs SSS and although half of me really wants just one nice ~$1,000 guitar that can sort of cover HH and SSS with coil split etc, another part of me learned on (I was half decent) a cheap $100 squier SSS, and although I pretty much hated the S bridge pickup especially clean and no reverb/delay, again, what I didn't know didn't hurt me because I recently learned so much was written with that pickup and I always thought almost everything on a SSS was played with just the neck S, ESPECIALLY distortion solos, but Pink Floyd used the bridge S a lot, lots of other solos and tracks like Sultans of Swing (I can understand this one has that clean twang), so I feel limiting if I don't get both because personally I preferred the neck S and don't want to omit that so either way I can't have it all unless I get both an HH and SSS, or if I just say F it and get one guitar for around $1,000 that can coil split etc.

I also love that canned sorta mellow blues tone and the look of a semi hollow. But, as much as I don't want neighbors or something if my windows are open hearing just the volume given from a semi-hollow as if it's an acoustic and me using headphones, (I get distracted like this when people can hear nowadays, despite back in the day before having a computer basically all I had was and amp and boombox I'd rage along with disco biscuits CDs etc so loud with windows open all day when home alone if I didn't have college classes that day, not giving a F, loud as it gets and shredding like an absolute maniac to the tune of where I thought someone would call the cops on me or something lol or I'd feel almost embarrassed to walk outside after lol, I still REALLY want a semi hollow HH for just blues/jazz/classical. Today I played and loved the affordable $599 Epiphone ES 335 and that's good enough for that part of me that wants a hollow body and whatever about the neighbors etc even if it's hot and want windows open. 

As for dots and block inlays, it's really not as difficult as I thought, I agree though the first fret having a block can be distracting but overall it's not too hard but I still lean towards dots. 

Another thing is action is a huge deal to me and I think I want easy-shredding action in a hybrid HH/SSS coil split more-so than having a separate HH and SSS that doesn't feel as good. I'm still confused about action and circumference etc. I do have large hands, wear large gloves etc, wonce I get my skills back up I can stretch my fingers to odd configurations etc but I'm not sure if I want something with a smaller tighter neck or the Fender Player's-series neck which actually seemed big to be today, or I'm not sure, I just know there's some Les Paul I played at sam ash a couple weeks ago that felt small and easy but the ones in GC today didn't feel the same. They didn't have the HH tele at Guitar Center today I was mostly interested in but the guy said if it's player-series it should have about the same neck as the ~$700 SSS stratocaster player's-series.

The angled pickguard on les pauls I can do without, might even remove it if I end up with a LP, yes I rest my pinkie on the body, in 1994 my teacher said don't do that but I still did always and someone here said the same thing but Barber from disco biscuits I've seen do that too so I'm fine with that. But it's not as if I can rest my whole side of hand on this angled pickguard like I was thinking would be better for picking, and I might just remove it so I don't knock my finger on it strumming hard. 

I think for now I'm just gonna impulse-buy a semi hollow HH with dots and just start playing again, because I know no matter what I'll always want one of them regardless of anything else I'm trying to figure out, maybe that es335 or even something cheaper. Then I'll get my set up going again with a better USB interface, BOSS me-80 FX processor, and then I can either rent or buy used (and resell for around same price if don't like it) the other SSS or HH or hybrid/coil splitting solid body guitars - that's the only way to do it I think is really bring it home and get the feel and ear for it with my set-up, I've done this with many synthesizers actually, youtube demos etc are nothing like spending real time with the synth and deciding if it's a keeper for me. I'd love to have a slew of guitars, three $1,000 guitars is nothing over time in terms of cost but I just don't have much room for them plus I'm sort of partial to the idea of having just one guitar to grab (or two including the semi hollow). 

the end. 

• Members

I thought I found what I was looking for in the $450 Squier Classic Vibe '70s Telecaster Deluxe but it has a 9.5" Radius and I really prefer 12", I just learned about radius but knew I preferred the feel of the $300-$800 Les Pauls I played in the store even though I tried to measure the width etc they seemed the same but then I went home and learned about the radius slight difference. I had a cheap $100 Squier SSS 9.5" radius I played years ago but I prefer a more flat neck 12".

I'm still undecided if I want coil split/tap - the more I read about it the more I'd rather just get a ~$500 12" radius SSS for those tones, but I lean more towards it not having split/tap, but I like the idea of having just one guitar but I'm hoping if it does have split/tap that it wouldn't take away form quality/tone of similarly-priced humbuckers that don't have split/tap. Some are saying it doesn't hurt if you don't use it but I'd think that the time/materials it takes to add coil split/tap that for the same price a non-split/tap might have slightly better metals etc. 

I'm looking for covered humbuckers, and hopefully that means they're soldered to the housing for slightly less hum, I know this takes away from top end/twang but I'm ok with that, and I do hear a difference in comparison videos of hum of covered vs uncovered Humbuckers. I want very low noise because plugging into the USB audio interface I always got a ton of noise with the unshielded SSS which is to be expected but I really want least noise possible. I know grounds, lighting etc can matter but one thing at a time. 

Body style and pickup tone I'm looking for something neutral for all genres from jazz/blues to heavy metal. 

I'm looking for dot inlays. 
I'd just get a ~$550 Les paul with or without coil split/tap but 
a) not dot inlays,
 b) they really are quite heavy and I'm very able-bodied but I like to move around a lot etc when playing and hold the guitar in all types of positions
c) sometimes I strum aggressively near the neck and even just testing in the store I hit my finger a bit on the top toggle switch, same with the Les Paul angled pickguard but I can remove that. 

I'm looking for solid black or white under the strings near the pickups so I can see the strings better. I'm not sure if white or black is easier to see but I'll check in store. I guess black because strings are basically silver color and should pop better over black than white but the neck I'm ok with a light wood. 

Much prefer the cable doesn't attach to the front, straight-in, on an angle like a Strat if fine or on the underside. 

Much prefer there's no toggle switch below the bridge pickup where I could hit that too strumming wind and aggressive.

Want no tremolo bridge, I'll use my Boss ME-80 pedal to pitch bend that much if need be, I know it may sound tacky but that's fine, I want fixed bridge or hardtail etc. 

22 frets prefer and a sort of a shorter scale length although I know this takes away from tone and from all the other criteria I don't want it sounding too canned but I like to rip solos, classical etc easier, so a smaller neck/frets might help. 

I'm about to search all the sites now but asking if maybe anyone has suggestions. 

I don't think I really need it to be more towards the $1,000 level, I'm just not that serious of a guitarist and feel some of this is placebo affect. Looking for new and not used. 

thank you

• Members

Oy, here we go again....

You want new? Where you can play first, then decide? Then Go to GC, grab one of the ungodly amounts of Epiphone Pauls they have, and play away. Most of the modern ones from China have a push/pull system that allows for single coil sounds and have the traditional 12 degree radius. Should be in the 600-900 dollar range. And don't let the whole Made In China thing bother you. They have stepped up their game.

Want to save a few bucks? And have better quality, in my not-so-humble opinion? Go here: Agile AL-3200MCC Light Blue Quilt (rondomusic.com) 600 plus shipping, and you have something a LOT better than your standard run of the mill Epi. Ebony board, neck thru, multi radius, coil tapping with good pickups, and you can even buy a case with the money saved. I will stand proud and say that everything I have ever gotten from them, is worth 2 or 3 times the price. If that's too expensive, they have Paul like creatures starting at 199.

Still prefer the Epiphone? Fine, hunt thru Craig's List and see what is available in your area. Used Epi's should be in the 400-500 range. I prefer the USED Korean models built by Samick, but that's just me. And adding a coil tap is a simple operation, with no holes drilled or parts changed. Ask me how if you ever get a guitar.

You'll be kinda beat on a dot neck. Most have brother of pearl or abaphony inlays.

Color contrast against the strings.... really? If you have to look where you're picking, you may want to practice more. I have been playing over 40 years. I still blow the occasional note or 10, but I can't tell you the last time I had to look down and see where my pick was. I KNOW where it's at, and most of the players here will say the same thing. (Most of the time, on the floor after I drop it, but hey, I still have a fingernail.)

Edited by badpenguin
  • Thanks 1

• Members

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/Revstar-Element-RSE20-Chambered-Electric-Guitar.gc?rNtt=rse20&index=2

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/el_guitars/rs_2022/specs.html

Hi, the Revstar Element RSE20: Are the pickups wax coated to reduce static hum? Is there any need to copper shield the cavities, I saw a video review he shows the covers ARE tack soldered to the pickup housing so hopefully this reduces noise. If the High Pass Filter isn't engaged, is it the same audio quality sound pickups as if the guitar didn't have a High Pass Filter installed at all - In other words, if I never use the Filter, would there be a slightly better tone/quality of the same pickups without the Filter involved? What actual Alnico V are these? because it says VH3n and VH3b but I can't find any info on them. Thanks. Personally I think the parallel stripes under the string area may distract some users and I might glue/screw a piece of cut white pickguard material to get a better view of the strings.

Edited by guitargo25

• Members

99% of guitars made today have shielding paint. That eliminates the need for copper shielding. People still do it, but I think, more for a placebo effect.

The HPF, if the pot is fully open, it should bypass it completely. (A good quality pot, when fully engaged, is set up to allow full signal out.)

As to the type of A5 magnet, ask Yamaha.

And like I said before, if you can see those stripes while playing, you need to work on your technique. How hunched over are you when you play?

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, guitargo25 said:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/Revstar-Element-RSE20-Chambered-Electric-Guitar.gc?rNtt=rse20&index=2

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/el_guitars/rs_2022/specs.html

Hi, the Revstar Element RSE20: Are the pickups wax coated to reduce static hum? Is there any need to copper shield the cavities, I saw a video review he shows the covers ARE tack soldered to the pickup housing so hopefully this reduces noise. If the High Pass Filter isn't engaged, is it the same audio quality sound pickups as if the guitar didn't have a High Pass Filter installed at all - In other words, if I never use the Filter, would there be a slightly better tone/quality of the same pickups without the Filter involved? What actual Alnico V are these? because it says VH3n and VH3b but I can't find any info on them. Thanks. Personally I think the parallel stripes under the string area may distract some users and I might glue/screw a piece of cut white pickguard material to get a better view of the strings.

wax coating? If you are referring to potting, that is not so much for hum as it is to reduce feedback.

Gg25, you repeatedly mention that you seem to have an issue with seeing the strings over the body....but no one looks straight down on the guitar while playing, unless you play lapsteel/dobro. Either you are creating your own issue, or you have some serious technical issues with your picking hand.

There are so many things that generate potential noise in a guitar circuit, but the pickup covers are the absolute least of the concerns, IMHO. But yes, if they are installed they should be grounded to the rest of the pick up.

Cavity shielding, on modern guitars and basses, is pretty much standard [okay, maybe the el cheapo Chinese things would still benefit] for the major name builders as bp mentioned.

And yes, if the HPF is not 'engaged', then it should be completely out of the circuit, and have no effect on tone.

and as to the type of Alnico V being used...are you kidding me? Can you tell the tonal difference between them? I certainly can't.:facepalm:

Seriously...you are overthinking your process to the point you have stymied yourself into inaction. Go buy a guitar and play!:wave:

• Thanks 1

• Members

I made 4 posts about this, sorry to bump all of them with this same reply but maybe it'll help others searching similar terms later one for an entry level, neutral tone and look and humbuckers so that it's not noisy especially when plugged into a computer w studio monitors/headphones. I wasn't going to get anything with coil split my own theory was that the slight effort, materials, and time they spend to add split/tap may reduce tone/quality of same-priced humbuckers that don't have tap/split. And if I want Single coil tone I'd be happier with just a cheap SSS strat as long as the neck is 12" radius and not 9.5" personally I feel I can scale and shred and even chord easier with the flatter neck, I felt it right away on cheap les pauls in the store even when not having picked up a guitar in years they felt much easier to play. 

I decided on Yamaha Revstar Element even though it has sort of a coil tap/split feature in the high pass filter, whatever, and if I can get away with less clutter and gear than feeling the need for a 2nd SSS guitar for less canned humbucker tones then that's fine, everything I sort of really like about this guitar, except I'm hoping it's not too loud acoustically so others don't hear me playing as easily but it's probably not much louder than a sold mahogany or something. 

I noted this for myself later:

If you feel need to upgrade from Revstar, basically $1,000 range gives you better pickups (want something neutral though not 'hot' or bite etc meant more for rock, don't want coil split because may take away from quality/tone when not using and if really want Single Coil sound I'd be happier with just a $500 SSS as long as neck radius is 12 and not 9.5") want pickups covers if humbuckers because it slightly reduces hum, locking tuners and I think I prefer 3 on each side of head seems less likely to pop out of nut or tree, don't need locking nut like Floyd is a PITA to undo and I'm ok w being slightly out of tune and sometimes like taking a break to tune, fixed neck like revstar allegedly sustains better but cheaply done isn't better and I think bolt-on may be better in case it breaks or something can replace or if play it forever and need refretting etc would be easier to just replace a bolt-on/ 12" radius not 9.5" I could tell in store easily felt much better to play 12". Stainless frets and hardware not coated, some pricier guitars have more stable neck inserts etc, wood type I don't think I really care much about sustain etc pus prefer something lighter to swing around easier, don't want any selector switch above neck pickup or below bridge pickup may hit finger when strumming same with les paul type angled pickguard although seems nice to rest pinky on could whack finger on it, want only dot inlays, want only cord plugs into bottom not front, want non floyd rose/tremolo because there's noticeable difference in tone in youtube comparing and is more stable and sustaining when fixed bridge/string through and I can use FX pedal to pitch bend although may sound very digital am ok w that, do prefer 22 frets although can use finger nail and basically go well beyond 22, color under strings doesn't matter even if distracting design because can glue/screw a cut piece of white pickguard under there. Prefer quick tone changing knobs/switch instead of having to long-roll a smooth dial. Don't' get white color because smoke or even vape or incense or sun or cooking etc may make it look dirty, same w black might look dirty. The back neck of revstar satin plastic'y is praised for speed and maybe if sweaty won't catch as easily as wood but either way should be fine.