Dinner Music for Wedding

• Members

We are playing a few weddings in the near future and the couples are asking if we can supply "soft" background music during dinner and before guests arrive. Just wondered what you guys did for that situation. What artists or compilation CDs did you play? I'm assuming some light Jazz or pseudo elevator music. I'm kinda at a loss as to where to buy this music or what goes over well. As always your thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Members

John Tesh is your friend! Great background music. I use a bit of Kenny G, too, but that horn can get bothersome in large doses ;>( Also look for various Wedding compilation CDs at WalMart, the ones with the wedding marches and stuff. Usually a bunch of good orchestra/chamber music that can be used for dinner background music on them.

Boomerweps

• Members

Some easy listening music and/or light/soft jazz with or without vocals works great during the cocktail hour. Light/soft jazz instrumentals work best during the dinner hour. The vocals tend to get in the way of people chit-chatting during dinner.

• Members

Don't forget The Carpenters. Yeah I know, but its more "modern" easy listening music, and some of the songs titles are very appropriate for weddings, like "We've only just begun". You can do them as instrumentals and people will recognized the songs.

Weddings can be great gigs, be sure to charge a LOT of money. People are only suppose to get married once, so make them pony-up. :love:

Mike T.

• Members

Diana Krall, Michael Buble, George Benson, Tony Bennet (still "hip"), Jobim, Jesse Cook, and a sax player or two - maybe Dave Koz, and Sanborn, but not you know who just on principle:) 1 or 2 instrumentals for every vocal.

• Members

We offer this as part of our wedding service. I have a little netbook that I have everything on, including first dance, cake cutting, intro tunes, and then let them choose the style they want for cocktail and dinner. Alternatively, they can mail me a CD 30 days in advance.

For $14.95 mo you can subscribe to napster and download all the songs that you want. They'll work until you cancel your subscription. Or just pay as you go to download songs. For instance, if this couple wants "big band" then just buy an hour or so of big band music. If next time, they want Sinatra then buy those then. Really, all that stuff can be can bought on CD pretty cheap too.

• Members

I'll have to throw in some Dean Martin to the mix too! Also, for instrumentals, I like to use some Johnny A. Especially his take on The Beatles Yes It Is. Another one is Walk Don't Run. Very cool, laid back and mellow. Another vote for Jesse Cook. I also like to throw in Brian Setzer's version of Sleepwalk.

Johnny

• Members

If you want to move into something a little more adventurous, you can try some stuff off the Narada label, as well as Chet Atkins, barney Kessel, Tom McDurmott, Tommy Emanual, etc.

Saw Kessel doing the three guitar thing (Kessel, Ellis and Byrd?) years ago - great. I've also seen Tommy Emmanuel live two or three times and attended a couple of his seminars, what an amazing guitar player (and a pretty good drummer too). His records don't really do him justice.

Forgot to add Peter White (played with Al Stewart years ago) and Grant Geissman as two other "dinner music" or smooth jazz options.

• Members

I've worked with both Tommy Emanual and Peter White, both are really good players and really nice guys too.

25 years ago, I did a string of Al Stewart shows with Peter White playing lead and I was impressed then too.

That must have been great.

Back in the eighties I was in a band that opened for Al Stewart on a two day stint (I believe) in a large nightclub.

Peter was really inspiring, and as you mentioned both he and Mr. Stewart were friendly and down to earth. Al even let us partake of his rider!

• Members

Share and share alike. Reminds me of a New Riders of the Purple Sage date we did a very long time ago. Too much sharing made it hard to stay awake at FOH. John Dawason was another very nice guy, but hardly wedding music I'm afraid.

Archived