Dinner Music for Wedding

• Members

Nothing like piano, bass, & brush kit (and maybe some sax). Try David Benoit (he was already mentioned for his tag team with Russ Freeman, but his solo stuff his really good for a dinner setting). David Foster is good too, but can get a little "active".

• Members

We are playing a few weddings in the near future and the couples are asking if we can supply "soft" background music during dinner and before guests arrive. Just wondered what you guys did for that situation. What artists or compilation CDs did you play? I'm assuming some light Jazz or pseudo elevator music. I'm kinda at a loss as to where to buy this music or what goes over well. As always your thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks!

great suggestions thus far...just mix it up since weddings will typically be attended by a fairly wide cross section of society as well as age range.

As a jazz instrumentalist, I find the unindoctrinated listener to prefer vocals with their music, as it is perhaps more accessable. Imagine my dismay when i discovered this, lol. :p Regardless, some large and small ensemble jazz recordings with vocals will do nicely.

For the oldsters in the room, don't forget Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat Cole, Johnny Hartman (with John Coltrane), Tony Bennett, etc...

For the younger crowd, Sade, Diana Krall, Jane Monheit, Tony Bennett(yeah, funny huh?) are a good start.

if you need totally "soft" and classy sounding calm music, find some harp recordings of Claude Debussy or some light chamber music, etc... John Tesh is never your friend. :lol:

• Members

Nothing like piano, bass, & brush kit (and maybe some sax). Try David Benoit (he was already mentioned for his tag team with Russ Freeman, but his solo stuff his really good for a dinner setting). David Foster is good too, but can get a little "active".

i have a David B recording with Emily Remler on guitar, "Waiting For Spring"...what's not to like about Emily?:thu:

• Members

My guitar player was with Spyro for a few years. I think he was on their first two albums. He gets a little thrill when I throw on something from Morning Dance.

not Jay Azzolina (sp?)?

whoops, i missed that about the first two albums - dont know who that is.

speaking of the early albums, "Shaker Song" sure is a catchy piece.

• Members

... But I'd suggest that the playlist always be run by the PIC for approval, just in case our idea of good isn't the same as theirs.

ah right. i remember my first rock gig in 8th grade (early 80's) when we were told they wanted to hear some "hard rock", so we worked up tunes from AC/DC, Motley Crue, Van Halen, etc... turns out they wanted to hear some Journey. :eek:

• Members

In '83 I got to see Spyro Gyra every night for a couple of weeks. Played right next door to a show theatre. Cookin' band live. The sound was always amazing in that place.

In any case, I guess Shaker Song, Little Linda, and Morning Dance must have payed some bills for somebody, hopefully not just the record label.

• Members

My guitar player was with Spyro for a few years. I think he was on their first two albums. He gets a little thrill when I throw on something from Morning Dance.

I bought Morning Dance and City Kids originally on LP (that black disc). I've always enjoyed the music. Great music still today...

• Members

We played a wedding for a friend and afterwords she gave us the mix CDs she had made for dinner/breaks. Fast forward a few months later, we needed a CD to play at another wedding for dinner music. We started a CD she had given us and the first song was some classical music. The band went into another room to eat and when the guitar player went to check on the music later "Why don't we get Drunk and screw" was playing. :eek::facepalm: Lucky for us the wedding party thought it was funny.:) Moral of the story, always be sure of what is on your CD.

Archived