Quick and Dirty Thinlline Project

gardo

• Members

So here’s the plan. I have an Xaviere T type guitar that’s decent. 
E8A8EE09-3BD3-4BF3-ABBF-44AA1C378BE4.thumb.jpeg.c5f674bb972df583cac4dc260792979a.jpeg

After some fret work and treating the wood I really like the neck. it just fits my hand and feels right. The pickups are okay, I enjoy them. The body is. a little on the thin side and I don’t especially like the rounded edges 

9935FEDA-E4AC-4E7E-95BF-1CE3B5F80625.thumb.jpeg.45c75c9f069950700ba83410a75019c0.jpeg

I considered a different body but didn’t want something heavy so a thinline was the plan. Guitarfetish was having a sale so I ordered one in the same color vintage cream .The color is more toward yellow but no problem, it looks good.
045F32C0-9570-4394-8D04-0CD0C25581FA.thumb.jpeg.ff2694690b203053e2dc0d134f644eb1.jpeg

Of course it’s never a simple swap something alway needs adjusting. The neck pocket needed a little touch here and there and the neck angle also need a little attention but it all worked out. So here it is . I think it’s purdy . It’s all GFS except for the Electrosocket and strings.

8837DC74-0A5D-4CC1-8417-1D0B18A365A2.thumb.jpeg.d756c3813bcdc45fed22e97f85e7001b.jpeg27A97015-A70C-4C67-B38F-C52E88F6B0A0.thumb.jpeg.65cc91e4fddae43fcde5a1788bcb8f76.jpeg

It still needs a setup before I play it 

Hope you enjoy the pics

Edited by gardo
  • Like 3

• Members

Everything the same except the body, everything.. How does it sound?  My first impression was that it sounded cleaner, I think a better way to say it would be more open. So a thinline does sound different.

• Members

Nice! I haven't been able to find any of the GFS guitars around, but I had 2 Douglas', one solid tele, and one semi hollow. I decided to keep the semi, for the exact same reasons, it just sounds more open. and with a little wiring magic, does just about everything I could want. (Bill Lawrence 5 way switching.)

• Like 1

• Members
3 hours ago, badpenguin said:

Nice! I haven't been able to find any of the GFS guitars around, but I had 2 Douglas', one solid tele, and one semi hollow. I decided to keep the semi, for the exact same reasons, it just sounds more open. and with a little wiring magic, does just about everything I could want. (Bill Lawrence 5 way switching.)

I had to look up that wiring to know what it is.  It’s interesting, something to keep in mind the next time I get bored.  Thanks 

• Members
2 hours ago, daddymack said:

gardo...I think you made a great change! Especially since you were not happy with the original body, but liked the neck. Also, you are now rid of the noticably large gap between the bridge plate and the pickguard on the original body...:thu:

Thanks. When I play it the color reminds me of a ‘64 Mercury Marauder. It has a late 60’s kind of vibe.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, gardo said:

Thanks. When I play it the color reminds me of a ‘64 Mercury Marauder. It has a late 60’s kind of vibe.

Interesting...[becuz the 1st thinlines came out in '69 :cool2:]...

I was wondering how that color will change with age? Will it pale out, or darken...? Paled out, with the maple fretboard would look pretty cool; darkened would get you into the 'butterscotch' zone...good either way.:thu:

• Haha 1

• Members
1 hour ago, daddymack said:

Interesting...[becuz the 1st thinlines came out in '69 :cool2:]...

I was wondering how that color will change with age? Will it pale out, or darken...? Paled out, with the maple fretboard would look pretty cool; darkened would get you into the 'butterscotch' zone...good either way.:thu:

Sounds like a win win. Of course I don’t think that far ahead. It just looks good today 

• Haha 1