Sub Crossover Question

• Members

I bought some 18" subs and an old Peavey CS-400 to power them. I plan to run from my monitor out from my powered mixer into the Peavey for power, and then to the subs. The 2 Questions I have are:

1. There is a crossover socket on the back of the CS-400 that has a jumper plug in it now. I want to replace it with a low pass filter because I will only be running the subs of of it. There are a bunch available...which should I get? 250HZ, 500HZ, or 800HZ?

2. If I do the above, where do I plug in the input? There are 3 spots...X-over input, Lo-Z input, and Channel input. Which one will go through the crossover?

Thanks

• Members
Does anybody else make the little round "Cans" that Peavey uses?

That was a lot of years ago that they stopped making those. I actually just scored an "Electric Pillow" can for $7 - still has the original $40 price sticker on it. Peavey even used to make a box to run cans stand alone - anybody remember what that was called?

• Members

Peavey used to sell 100hz,150hz,250hz etc crossover cans.

I still have a couple of the 150hz cans kicking around somewhere. Even the first cs400s amps that had the crossover islands took the same cans. The "Islands" themselves were a little different in the the way you patched them but the cans all worked.

The oldest Cs400s were only 8 0hm bridgeable. One 8 0hm sub driven by a bridged cs400 would give you 400 watts rms to the sub. Pick up another cs400 for the other and it may be enough for your sub section. Depends on music type/venue size etc.

The cs400s (older ones) were 120 watts 8 ohms,200 watts 4 ohms per channel. No 2 ohm load or 4 0hm bridge mode. I've used them to drive horns on sp2s before but I don't know if this is enough for sub duty.

I'll dig around and see if I can find one of the PL150 crossover cans. If I can find one and you want it PM me with your address and I'll send it to you.

Dookietwo

• Members

Thanks to all...

My CS-400 is 200W stereo (both channels driven) at 4 ohms

Bridged is 400W at 8 ohms. and it has DDT compression.

I actually have 2 CS-400s as I thought to run one a side, but the subs are 4ohms so that's a no-go. FYI this is just for kick re-enforcement in my basement band. I think the 200 watts will do for now as the guitar amp is 15 watts (tube), the bass is 300 watts (SS) and the PA is a 250 watt powered mixer. We're just screwing around making some noise.

That all being said, I think I'll need 2 of the 150Hz cans, Dookie, one for each channel. If you have them, I'd be happy to buy them.

• Members
Even the first cs400s amps that had the crossover islands took the same cans. The "Islands" themselves were a little different in the the way you patched them but the cans all worked.

The oldest Cs400s were only 8 0hm bridgeable.

The oldest CS800's and 400's (pre-DDT) were not bridgeable at all if i remember correctly and most definitely took different cans - I had a pre-DDT CS800 that I added crossover modules and input transformers to. They may even not had power to the xover socket? I remember the slopes being quite low compared to the post-DDT type cans.

• Members

I looked everywhere and all I could find was 1 - 150hz and 1 - 250 hz crossover can. If your going to feed the cs400 from a spare post fade monitor or aux send you could get by with just a mono sub setup. Then only one crossover can would be needed. Then you could try the two cans and see which one matches better to the tops you have. (What do you have for tops ?) Or you could try stereo and see if the difference is enough between the two cans to bother or not in your practice setup. Should your mixer have a Mono out you could use that as well to feed the signal to you amp. Mono out to one of the Crossover Islands inputs. Low freq out to channel A's input. Out the same A input to Channel B's power amp input.

I see a 250hz can on Ebay for $25 and free shipping so I could go $30 for both. Shipped to you. So long as your in the 48 USA states. PM me if you want to purchase the two cans with your address. I would do a good faith sale. Say the money is on the way and I will get them sent out this weekend.

Please PM me from here on out as I don't want to use up forum bandwith.

Thanks

Dookie

Edit: Are you using the powered mixer to run the tops and the cs400's on the subs or putting the amps in the powered mixer to run monitors with the two cs400 amps to run a sub/top per side? I still have one of those amps myself. 1990 vintage.

• Members

Dookie -

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the crossovers right now. I'm thinking seriously about getting an active crossover of of e-bay for about $50 and just running the low side to the CS-400's then on to the subs. Probably going to be better in the long run. I'm going fishing tomorrow untill Sunday so let me think about it some more.

As for my PA plan:

VOX, overhead mics (for the drums/cymbals), and guitars into the powered mixer. VOX mostly, though. Powered mixer amps out to the tops in stereo.

Kick drum and Bass Guitar into a seperate passive mixer then (maybe into a crossover first?) into the CS-400's and out to the subs.

Sound OK?

BTW the tops are old Hughs & Kettner boxes w/15" Eminence ledgends and H&K horns. I also have a pair of Comunity CSX somethings...12" w/horn

• Members
I'm thinking seriously about getting an active crossover of of e-bay for about $50

You can get a new Behringer CX2310 delivered for $80. Yah, crossover cans that only work with those obsolete amps are probably a bad investment. Oh, and you should be able to run the pre outs from your mixer into a crossover and then back into the power amp inputs of the mixer for the highs and the CS400 for the lows.

• Members

You can get a new Behringer CX2310 delivered for $80. Yah, crossover cans that only work with those obsolete amps are probably a bad investment. Oh, and you should be able to run the pre outs from your mixer into a crossover and then back into the power amp inputs of the mixer for the highs and the CS400 for the lows.

That's kinda what I was thinking.

Archived