Setting the proper input gain level on my Mixwiz 16:2

• Members

A quick run down example, ch.1-vocal mic. Channel on, channel fader down, PFL on, set the gain to about 0 or unity (with the PFL on check the LED meter)

edit to say that the singer has to be singing in the mic like how they wold be singing during a gig.

Also, just wondering if that girl in a flat bed Ford ever showed up.....lol

• Members

RoadRanger,

The problem with those manuals, is that they're not always very enlightening to a noob. They're definitely not written with the inexperienced in mind. Unless you have some sort of electronics or mixing experience, they can be confusing to say the very least.

When a noob reads the manual, and you see a description on aux routing for example, etc, most noobs are asking themselves, "what the hell is an "aux"?" That perspective is ignored when putting these manual together.

Bob

• CMS Author

RoadRanger,

The problem with those manuals, is that they're not always very enlightening to a noob. They're definitely not written with the inexperienced in mind. Unless you have some sort of electronics or mixing experience, they can be confusing to say the very least.

When a noob reads the manual, and you see a description on aux routing for example, etc, most noobs are asking themselves, "what the hell is an "aux"?" That perspective is ignored when putting these manual together.

Bob

It's pretty short, simple, and to-the-point here (page 23):

http://www.allen-heath.co.uk/DL/w3ug_122-162_ap5331_2.pdf

• Members

wow, i never opened the plastic my mixwiz manual came in. i do hafta say the mixwiz is a lot less confusing than mackies awkward c-room/metering section.

my only question about the mixwiz is why aux masters 5 and 6 dont control the level going to the internal effects.

• Members
my only question about the mixwiz is why aux masters 5 and 6 dont control the level going to the internal effects.

Yah, is that whack or what :freak:. I REALLY wish they worked for the internal FX units! It's not my MixWiz I use on occasion - otherwise I'd look into modding it.

• Members

RoadRanger,

The problem with those manuals, is that they're not always very enlightening to a noob. They're definitely not written with the inexperienced in mind.

So some perspective from a guy who write those manuals ...

This is a technical subject and without somewhat technical answers these OM's get awfully long (especially because it has to be translated into 6 languages). There is some responsibility on the part of the user to learn the basics of the subject. Even with something as "consumer-ish" as a car's OM ... they assume that the user knows how to drive, they just tell him what is unique about a particular model.

So for the "what the hell is an aux" question ... the answer is it is pretty much the same thing on any mixer.

So you've taken the first step and come here for some answers (of course you will need to sort them and decide what is or is not fact and what is opinion)

My bitch about OMs is I spend all that time writing them and then nobody reads them. I've got boxes of 'em I've never read. :thu:

• Members

There is some responsibility on the part of the user to learn the basics of the subject.

Fully agree,,, in my particular instance, I hung around here , basically to immerse myself in this "lingo" of the live-sound world. After a while, things start to make sense and come together. Prior to my coming here though, I had zero contact with any of this stuff, so the manuals were basically Greek to me.

So for the "what the hell is an aux" question ... the answer is it is pretty much the same thing on any mixer.

There's an example; if you know what the "other" mixer is in the first place, you're golden,,,, if it's your first ever contact with a mixer,,,,

So you've taken the first step and come here for some answers

I'm not the OP in this thread ,,,,, I came here two years ago,,,,, I'm just pointing out the gap that can exist between comprehension (from the noobs' perspective), and those very well written manuals. It takes a while though, before a noob can fully appreciate just how well they are written.

My bitch about OMs is I spend all that time writing them and then nobody reads them. I've got boxes of 'em I've never read.
:thu:

I generally read 'em cover-to-cover, over and over again, but if I'm dealing with a "world" that I've not previously encountered, that doesn't necessarily mean I'll understand them, especially the first few times around. I would imagine that it would be somewhat useful in those manuals, to include a link to a basic introduction to "mixers", or whatever other product one happens to be dealing with at the time.

Just recently, I asked about something, and someone said to me "RTFM"
:)
,,,, I didn't even know what "RTFM meant", and had to ask.
:facepalm:
That's the reality of the situation for some noobs though.

One observation,,,, when a noob asks what some may consider to be a "dumb" question, and signs whatever his name or moniker is, he'll sometimes get a cryptic response somewhere along the lines of "RTFM" (or similar),,,, but if that person looking for information, signs Suzie TightSweater, or something similar,,,, guys are trippin' over themselves to respond . Ever notice that?
:lol:

Bob

• Members

So some perspective from a guy who write those manuals ...

This is a technical subject and without somewhat technical answers these OM's get awfully long (especially because it has to be translated into 6 languages). There is some responsibility on the part of the user to learn the basics of the subject. Even with something as "consumer-ish" as a car's OM ... they assume that the user knows how to drive, they just tell him what is unique about a particular model.

So you've taken the first step and come here for some answers (of course you will need to sort them and decide what is or is not fact and what is opinion)

My bitch about OMs is I spend all that time writing them and then nobody reads them. I've got boxes of 'em I've never read.
:thu:

I agree from exactly the same perspective.

• CMS Author

As do I concur with Don on this. Docs take a LOT of time, and then nobody reads them.

The best part as far as I'm concerned is when J.Q. Public {censored}s up his Widget, calls in to bitch, is told why HE {censored}ed it up, claims he "had no way of knowing THAT", is told it explained thoroughly in the docs, and then replies, "well nobody reads that". :facepalm:

• Members

That's my only real gripe about the MixWiz. I found this out, first time using it, first set - thought I was hearing (or not hearing) things.

At that point, I figured I would download the manual, just in case there were any other surprises.

• Members

Ahh Bob ... now I feel terrible ...not!

Just kiddin'. Just ask.

One more OM story. When I used to own some music stores customers would come in and say "I don't get it". Then I'd say "what part" which would usually get me the answer "all of it". At that point I'd tell them, "OK, highlight the part you don't understand and bring me the marked up manual". I never got one taker on that deal.

OK Bob ... an "aux" is a term for an unspecified general purpose "buss" where something like a "main" is a specific buss. What's a "buss" (that's always the toughest one for noobs to handle ... as it was for me when I first started)? It's just a common connection (probably from buss bar which is an common electrical term for a heavy wire) that ends up at some output that you can connect sources to.

• Members

:) Thanks Don, I appreciate that :thu:

Actually, I'm starting to "get" a lot of this stuff now, but that's a far cry from where I started out when I first came here a couple of years back. A lot of you guys have helped me quite a bit, even when I'm not directly involved in the discussion, and I can't thank you guys enough for that. Andy, you, Craig, Abzurd, Sam, and sooo many more. :thu: Amazing what a noob can learn just from reading those conversations. Painfully slow way to learn though, especially if you don't work with this stuff. For the time being, this is strictly a hobby, or interest for me, and my sole contact with live-sound, is the input on this forum. All of my music buddies are hobbyist musicians, and none of these guys have any experience with live-sound whatsoever.

Being a noob however, puts me in a position of relating to the guys who seemingly (to some I guess ), ask the "dumb questions". When someone gets told, "RTFM", I see that as a bit of a lost opportunity to inform the lurkers/beginners reading the question, and hoping for a response. Patience is a virtue,,,, that sort of thing..... Just a thought. Those lurkers/beginners are out there too... LOTS of 'em. I guess I feel an obligation to help those folks, since I myself, get a lot in return from reading these threads.

Anyway, thanks again Don, I always read your posts with great interest.:thu:

Bob

• Members

yeahbut bobby1note i get so tired of pouring my heart into a response only to have the exact same question asked again the next week. it just happened with the behringer quad compressor, we just did that and if they would have read more than 5 minutes of the site they couldnt miss it.

• CMS Author

yeahbut bobby1note i get so tired of pouring my heart into a response only to have the exact same question asked again the next week.

That is the nature of this forum. I don't stress it; if it's a different person asking, no problem...I never expect people to know where to look in this forum to find answers, especially since the search function sucks so badly. If it's the same person, I simply find the post where it was explained to them the first time (or fifth), and tell them to go to it.

• Members

That is the nature of this forum. I don't stress it; if it's a different person asking, no problem...I never expect people to know where to look in this forum to find answers, especially since the search function sucks so badly. If it's the same person, I simply find the post where it was explained to them the first time (or fifth), and tell them to go to it.

Craig,

THAT hits the nail, SQUARELY on the head. :thu:

On some of the woodworking forums, I was able to "contribute" a little bit of knowledge. I used to design dust-collection systems for woodshops; from "beginner/hobbyist" set-ups, to complete "factory" set-ups consisting of hundred-horsepower-plus dust-collectors. I've designed systems from as far away as Czechoslovakia to Australia. I suppose I wrote well over a million words in that time, and never lost sight that somebody somewhere, was getting a little benefit, or deepening the understanding of operating their own often meager set-ups.

There might be only a "few" actual participants in the forum dialogue(a particular thread), yet these threads would litterally reach hundreds, and sometimes thousands of interested "lurkers", judging by the number of "hits" a thread would get. I never really got tired of helping those folks, although I must confess that at times it became a little overwhelming. At it's peak, I was sometimes working in excess of 90 hours a week, designing systems for folks I knew I'd never actually meet. I never charged a penny for these designs, nor was I involved in any "selling" of any kind. Completely pro-bono. It's work to be sure, but it was my opportunity to "give back" to the community that offered me so much. Here, I see myself as a "taker" for the time being. Hopefully, that'll change someday, and I'll have the opportunity to become a "contributor" as my knowledge-base grows.

I know it can sometimes be tiring to repeat the same things over and over, but that indeed comes with the territory of being on a public forum. There's a constant influx of noobs out there, and sometimes we just have to excercise a little patience, and recognize that somebody somewhere, is probably going to benefit from a clear and concise response, hopefully on a "leveL" that they'll understand. The nature of a question afterall, is often indicative enough of where the poster stands on the information ladder. Sometimes, despite having read something multiple times, just a different selection of words can create that "aha" moment for the lurker/beginner. When that "spirit" of helping others is lost, forums sometimes run the risk of becoming, or coming across as, a closed circle of friends,,,, a private club so to speak. Intolerance creeps in, and that begins to set a negative "style" or "mood" to a forum. Lurkers hesitate to join in and participate. I've seen it before, and I'm sure I'll see it again. I just hope it never happens here.

Bob

Archived