FENDER Blues Jr. vs Pro Jr.??

ksl

• Members

So, this PJ,,, & can it scream like a BJ, or is it an different animal, as described in another post? The 10" doesn't struggle on the low end? I'd be using it for lower volume recording, but with the gain of a BJ i used to own?  & are US made models of either amp better than the Mexican made ones?

Many thanks. 

🕉🎶

• Members

UPDATE: After hearing some good side by sides on YT, it seems like the Pro is much more organic, also has a nice bit of clean headroom,,, Even though i like the lower level OD allowed by the BJ, it sounds iike there's a nicer vintage mojo to the PRO,,,!!?? Anyone's thoughtz or affirmations? Lastly, are the more recent 'IV' models of either amp significantly better than the oldies?
Thanks all & stay well!!

• Moderators

Having worked with both, and owning 2 'blonde' Blues Juniors [one is end of the USA run, the other the beginning of the Mexico build, purchased about a year apart], let's just say PJs and BJs are very different beasts, and the differences are interesting. Aside from the fact that both are rated at 15W, the similarities, other than cosmetic, end there.

The Pro Jr, first of all, is a 'throwback' to the one volume/one tone control amps of the 50s.  That is your 'vintage Mojo'. It has no reverb on board, and the original 10" speaker tends to 'fart out' the more the volume comes up. Keeping the volume '2 clicks' below max and the tone at about 75% will reward you with some outstanding tone and presence. Push the tone all the way, and it will get 'ice-picky' in an unpleasant way. 

A PJ will take a tube swap and a new speaker and be happier....and changing the value of the pre-amp tube [to an AU, AT or an AY] can make worlds of difference in that little beast, depending on what you want it to sound like, where you want it to break up, etc. The stock PJ is a marvelous amp, but better suited to the studio than as a band gigging amp [unless mic'ed]. Retubed and modded with a better speaker...your call.

The BJ has three band EQ, plus the 'mysterious' FAT switch [that actually helps balance between single coil and humbucker voicing], plus reverb, plus the master volume offers a wealth of sounds without a pedal in sight. Again, the original speaker is lackluster; I have a Jensen in the USA one and a Celestion in the Mexicano, both amps are retubed and have stand-by switches installed [i used them for hosting jams, the stand-bys were a necessity!].

As to the newer versions, I won't express an opinion beyond saying the best thing they did was reversing the nomenclature on the control panel.😉

In some ways, this is like comparing a Princeton to a Deluxe Reverb...similar, but definitely different critters.

• Members

DADDYMACK,,Thanks folks,,,I like angry, dirty, & the 10" deal,,, But hypothetically, if I saw a PJ custom done in a 12" cab, it would most likely dramatically change the attitude & voicing, for better or worse,, or is the Mojo in the 10"??  There's aTone Dog Pro-Senior in an oversized 12" pine cab,  & wire rerouting for less noise, upgraded power filter caps, shielding,,,, Anyone ever heard of them?

www.Tonedog com

Kenny

• Moderators

the mojo is not in the 10" speaker.

I have seen PJs in modded/aftermarket cabinets with a 12", and it opens up the sound in positive ways, but now you have spent almost half the price of a budget model amp to make it into...an amp.:facepalm:

PJs run about $500, BJs run about $650.

What would it cost to move the PJ into a 1x12 cab? a really good speaker, like a Jensen C12N, Celestion Greenback, Weber, or Eminence Patriot, or is going to run you ~$100, can you get the cab for $50? BTW, the Tonedog site say the cab is 'out of stock'...and aside from the price of their Weber Signature speaker [$66], there is no pricing available...

I believe that the math says the resale value of the amp is not there. If you just want to do it to do it, and keep the amp, that is up to you.

And what you'd have is a non-reverb, non-master, two control Fender Amp with a bigger speaker in a nicer cab...so it will undoubtedly sound better, but I'll take the BJ, thanks...

• Members

I love both!  The P.J. is quite a little amp!  Both similar yet.... different.

B.J. is one of Fender's most appealing offerings.  If you run one into a Two notes capture

and line out it into a good Greenback 4x12 IR and dime it (or close to it depending on 

your level of squish needed) it can sound really really good. If you listen to that tone recorded and in the context of a mix

it is great!

Pro Jr.? IMHO that amp can do no wrong (again I rarely use EITHER of these amps without being in congruency with a good cab IR).

This way I can play it blasting like it is designed to do and have a GREAT tone.

The best thing is to have both amps.  If you can only have one I'd have to go with the B.Jr just because of it's 

advantage in features but you won't be able to "exactify" the sound of the P.Jr.

• Members
15 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

Erm, I think you may have skipped a step? Line Out won't power a cab.

Sorry I forgot to add:  A good Greenback IR! And I forgot to mention I run into a pair of powered Mackie HR824

monitors

Archived