Need help placing the SS(mini)H pickups distances from bridge and from each other (sketch for a Stratocaster pickguard?)

PotatoDude

• Members

I need to create a sketch for an SSH (H=mini humbucker in my case) Fender Strat, and I am currently facing two problems creating the sketch: 
1. The S pickups are Dimarzio Tele-pickups - which mean, they are smaller by size than the regular Strat single pickups (sketch attached).
2. The humbucker is a Dimarzio Mini-Humbucker (humbucker sketch attached too). 

The easy way to go is to find a sketch as I described, which I cannot find anywhere, so if there is somewhere something as such... that you know of.. 
it will make my day and save me tons of time editing the image file with 0 photoshop xp. 

I have a sketch of a Strat pickguard as an SSH and an SSS. 
Coping and pasting might be easy, but I am having trouble with defining the distance from each other and from the bridge.

SSH - https://imgur.com/YKSAKGZ
SSS - https://imgur.com/fVuroV4
single pickup - https://imgur.com/IvcV9TK
mini humbucker - https://imgur.com/OGLtMXB

Help the PotatoDude. 

Edited by PotatoDude

• PotatoDude changed the title to Need help placing the SS(mini)H pickups distances from bridge and from each other (sketch for a Stratocaster pickguard?)
  • Moderators

I don't have anything like that. Being a bass player, I don't have any need for Strat pickguards laying around!

On my Squier Strat, the measurement from the bridge to the neck appears to be the same as in the linked drawing. Distance from the bridge cutout on the pickguard to the center of the neck pickup is 145mm. To the center of the middle pickup is 85mm. Center-to-center distance is therefore 60mm. Mine has a bridge single coil, so I can't help you with a mini humbucker measurement, but to the center of the bridge single coil looks to be 28 or 29mm.

I'm using a tape measure, so I could be off a little. I doubt that 1mm will make a noticeable difference, though.

• Like 1

• Members
42 minutes ago, isaac42 said:

I don't have anything like that. Being a bass player, I don't have any need for Strat pickguards laying around!

On my Squier Strat, the measurement from the bridge to the neck appears to be the same as in the linked drawing. Distance from the bridge cutout on the pickguard to the center of the neck pickup is 145mm. To the center of the middle pickup is 85mm. Center-to-center distance is therefore 60mm. Mine has a bridge single coil, so I can't help you with a mini humbucker measurement, but to the center of the bridge single coil looks to be 28 or 29mm.

I'm using a tape measure, so I could be off a little. I doubt that 1mm will make a noticeable difference, though.

So.. I guess you have an sss squire and not an ssh(mini) 

Which I think might have different dimensions overall.

Tnx :)

Edited by PotatoDude

• Moderators

except the single coils he chose are tele sized, not strat.

Now my question is...why are you agonizing over the placement? You want the horizontal centerline of the neck and middle pickups as close to relative harmonic points on the strings below the neck. Simple math...easier if you measure the harmonic locations on the neck and translate them [reversed from the bridge] to the pick guard.

The bridge p-up, well that is a matter of how close you want it to the bridge for twang.

• Moderators
23 hours ago, PotatoDude said:

So.. I guess you have an sss squire and not an ssh(mini) 

Which I think might have different dimensions overall.

Tnx :)

Seems to me that, if there are correct positions for the neck and middle pickups (sweet spots), then they'll be the same, no mater if the bridge pickup is single coil or humbucker.

• Members
4 hours ago, isaac42 said:

Seems to me that, if there are correct positions for the neck and middle pickups (sweet spots), then they'll be the same, no mater if the bridge pickup is single coil or humbucker.

Not to mention, as soon as you fret a note all that carefully calculated geometry goes out of whack anyway.

• Members

Thank you all ♥️

I have found a humbucker to mini-humbacker adapter on Reverb. And a mounting ring on Aliexpress that should work well, thanks for @DeepEnd for the suggestion. 

Just for fun, I'm attaching an image of the current horrible hookup I made with pieces of plastic, toothpicks and paper tape :) I just couldnt wait for the deliveries anymore 😅

20210123_171214.jpg

• Members
5 minutes ago, daddymack said:

what is all that stuff behind the bridge?

Built-in effects. 

It's a Japanese guitar from the 70s... Don't know a lot about it. It.s built very well (maple neck. Not sure what's the body made of but it's godamn heavy). The electronics are kinda equivalent to the Mexican electronics, but sound way different. 

My aunt had it since i was a kid and I asked for it when I was around 15. It's my first guitar that I decided to make projects on it and add some more value to it.

20200308_171916.jpg

20200308_171416.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Because the overtones vary as you walk down the neck, effectively changing the length of the strings, there is actually only approximately 1/2" to work with before you reach the middle pickup area. As a result, shifting the guitar bridge pickup merely serves to shift the "sweet spots" to other fretboard locations (but only by a little)

But I play differently from most people since I play a lot of palm muting (metal) and need a fast attack and just enough bass to make the muted notes thud perfectly. I place my strings a little bit closer to the bridge than stock makers (between 1/8" and 1/4").

another thing to keep in mind is that a tom can sound thin if you get too close, in my opinion.

If you move the pick up location, the pick up will either read and register the even-ordered harmonics (round, fat tones) or the odd-ordered harmonics (more biting, "jangley" sounding tones), so be careful to find the tone you're after before deciding on the final placement of your pick up. Then, from there, you should make your distance placement based on the overall colour of THAT SERIES over overtones you want t. In essence, there are two components to the recipe, not just distance.

If two guitars have their rear pickups positioned at roughly the same basic distance from the bridge, but one is tuned to produce odd-order harmonics and the other even-order harmonics, the two guitars will sound very different overall.

Edited by nethanpaul