New from EV . . . WOW!

• Members

I just did my first gig with my new passive Zx1s over Sb122s. It was a low-volume kinda thing, mostly prerecorded jazz.

Sounded good for that- but then I had a couple of acoustic guitar players. I was stunned- the player was one of the best I've ever heard, and the speakers sounded great. Really natural sounding.

The only issue I had was that the "mic/line" OUTPUT (!) switch on the back of my Mackie 1202 got bumped and I didn't notice it until I was packing up. I then realized why I wasn't getting the volume I thought I would out of the rig :)

I currently am running a mono setup with the Zx1s on one side of an XTi4000 (-6 limiter engaged) and the Sb122s off another. It's really not optimum, but I was able to get the amp pretty cheap. I'd like to go with a PLX1104 on the tops and an 1804 on bottom and a DC-ONE DSP. I would consider going all active, but they just discontinued the Sb2A (I wonder if that means we'll see a plastic Zx series sub?)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We use either one channel of a QSC CX404 (250W @ 8 ohms) or one channel of a QSC PLX3102 (600w @ 8 ohms). Usually it is the CX404.

OK, Thanks Square. Those are expensive solutions from what I can see. Any recommendations in the more compact/lightweight amps, at a reasonable price/performance/dependability ratio? This amp would be used SOLELY for the ZX1's.

Bob

• Members

Andy,

I think QSC's marketing of this line as a 1000w speaker is what creates a bit of skepticism. It's sorta self-defeating in that regard. Probably a fine box though.

Bob

Agreed! Purely marketing and done because watts are cheap!

• Members

I owned the passive versions for about a year and used as monitors. They are very good sounding for their size, but not a speaker for a full on rock band mains situation. They just don't get loud enough. They also don't throw very far. Still, for small acoustic shows, this would be a nice little speaker.

• Members

OK, Thanks Square. Those are expensive solutions from what I can see. Any recommendations in the more compact/lightweight amps, at a reasonable price/performance/dependability ratio? This amp would be used SOLELY for the ZX1's.

Bob

A QSC GX5 isn't too heavy. A plx 1104 might be nice. an older plx1602 maybe

• Members

for small acoustic shows, this would be a nice little speaker.

That's EXACTLY why I'm considering a pair. Acoustic-guitar/vocals duo, or solo performance. I want a very portable rig for intimate settings, small venues, etc.

I'd probably be pairing those speakers with a compact mixer,,, possibly the newly announced A&H Zed 10FX, or the Soundcraft Notepad 124FX. Both aren't available yet however.

I just want to make sure that the bottom-end is full/rich sounding, yet as tight/natural as possible.

I'll also try the K-Series as well. My dealer carries QSC, but only has the K-12's in stock at the moment.

I'd LOVE to try the Klein & Hummel PAS, but they'd be difficult to find for an audition. Probably too expensive too. I'll check that out.

Edit; OK, just checked-out the Klein & Hummels. If they're anything remotely as good as their studio monitors, these would be killer.

http://www.directproaudio.com/product.cfm?directid=60501

• Members

I knew you'd come around to my way of thinking;)

:facepalm:

Nothing like a fast limiter to limit to 25% of rated power out of the box. No way are they allowing anywhere near 500 watts into that HF driver for even 100uSec. That's 1 cycle at 10kHz BTW.

IF their amp didn't have 2 identical channels for practical manufacturing purposes (and other applications), they would have used maybe 100-150 watts also limited but with a different algorithem. The problem is that the SMPS is scaled to the higher voltage and it's chepaer/more efficient to limit class d (no heat penalty like AB/G/H) than do a dual power supply or 2 different versions. Each version would have to carry seperate agency ratings which would add maybe $20k to the developement cost.

• Members

That's EXACTLY why I'm considering a pair. Acoustic-guitar/vocals duo, or solo performance. I want a very portable rig for intimate settings, small venues, etc.

I'd probably be pairing those speakers with a compact mixer,,, possibly the newly announced A&H Zed 10FX, or the Soundcraft Notepad 124FX. Both aren't available yet however.

I just want to make sure that the bottom-end is full/rich sounding, yet as tight/natural as possible.

Passive version, bass response is OK at moderate volumes in my house. Pushed in a gig setting though you reallly need to pass it to the point you're not getting meaningful real bass out of the box. That said, for acoustic guitar/voice you don't need anything south of 100 Hz anyway. If you're going to use tracks or one of those stomp boards for kick, I'd probably look for bigger speaker.

Being EV I'd think there would be plenty of availability to try before you buy. I'd like to hear it next to an RCF 310A

• Members

Harmonycat,

Do you see a lot of bands using an 8" 2-way for FOH?

Never.......but what is the point of the WOW statement on a site that deals with Live Sound and Production regarding this product?

If it is not for FOH or Monitor Duty......except in very small acoustic venues.

What purpose does it serve in this world on a broad scale?

There is no WOW in it at all.

That is my point.

What is your point....Spam maybe?

• Members

I owned the passive versions for about a year and used as monitors. They are very good sounding for their size, but not a speaker for a full on rock band mains situation. They just don't get loud enough. They also don't throw very far. Still, for small acoustic shows, this would be a nice little speaker.

Thank you!

My point exactly!

• Members

Never.......but what is the point of the WOW statement on a site that deals with Live Sound and Production regarding this product?

If it is not for FOH or Monitor Duty......except in very small acoustic venues.

What purpose does it serve in this world on a broad scale?

There is no WOW in it at all.

That is my point.

What is your point....Spam maybe?

For MY application, it rates a WoW. :) $499./under 20 lbs/ EV clarity. Yep! :thu:

A three-band EQ would have been nice (like the NX25p), but based on the EV's I've listened to in the past, these should be a terrific little box.

As far as "niche market" is concerned, I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts, that the acoustic solo/duo market, is potentially a helluva lot bigger than the bar-band market. Even in that bar-band market, as a vocals-only rehearsal tool, it should have potential I'd think. Probably a lot of other applications as well; corporate events/ speeches/product demonstrations, etc.

For me.(acoustic guitar/vocals), I could haul two of these small EV's as mains, and use my AER Compact 60/2 combo-amp as a monitor, and the entire rig would weigh UNDER 59lbs. That rates a WoW in my book. For larger gigs, I can use anywhere from 1-4 NX55p's if need be., but 90% of what I do, is for less-than 50 people.

As an added purchase incentive, I'd like to see EV offering some sort of carrying bag with a shoulder-strap. Maybe a pouch for cables/mic. That would be the icing on the cake for me. A two-speaker bracket would also be handy for mounting a pair of these on a single speaker-stand.

Bob

• Members

I think they work fine for monitor duty actually. Obviously not for a metal band and 120 dB stage volume, but for most browsing this site it could be a useful speaker for monitoring, and again - FOH for acoustic acts.

Another very good monitoring option, especially for acoustic acts, is the TC-Helicon VSM300XT. AMS has been selling these for $199 for a few months now and with a case. That's an exceptional deal.

• Members

As an added purchase incentive, I'd like to see EV offering some sort of carrying bag with a shoulder-strap. Maybe a pouch for cables/mic. That would be the icing on the cake for me. A two-speaker bracket would also be handy for mounting a pair of these on a single speaker-stand.

Bob

They do!

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/231913.html

Kinda pricey, but if you think of the cost of a good speaker case...

• Members

They list these as requiring 70w of power. My class-d PR12D's are listed as requiring 100w. I looked at all the EV docs I could find on these and they never call out the HF/LF split so I have to assume they did the QSC thing and have two identical 400w amps in there. Comparing the input power requirements above I have to suspect that the 800w figure is "peak" power, not RMS power (never says in the docs) . So, it is probably 200wrms to the LF and whatever the HF amp is limited to. The EV is rated at 3db more than the PR, not sure if one is continuous and the other peak though? In any case I suspect they are great little speakers and would do any job that my PR12D's can do at 2/3 the weight and size :). Yous guys should buy some up so's you can get bored of them and I can buy a used pair for cheap :p.

• Members

I hope to be trying out the Wharfedale Titan 8 actives soon which are even lighter - 14 lbs - and even more affordable. It`s nice to see so mny lightweight powered cabs coming out. Here is a review I found on the passive version :

http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/jun08/articles/wharfedaletitan8.htm

Thanks for bringing the EVs to our attention Bill. I always love seeing new powered cabs!

Al

• Members

Those Titan 8's oughta be great :).

When Peavey moved to class-d amps in their PR series they didn't make a 10" version :(. I guess the PR10P (class AB ?) didn't sell well as you can still find them new.

BTW you still using those no-name powered speakers? I've been watching for a pair to show up on eBay but that vendor hasn't listed any on the US eBay :(. Maybe I oughta check the CA eBay :)?

• Members

I looked at all the EV docs I could find on these and they never call out the HF/LF split

1800Hz.

Here's a PDF of the owners' manual.

There are two versions of the ZxA1. The ZxA1 90 has a 90*x50* rotatable horn, and there's the ZxA1 100, with a 100*x100* horn.

http://www.electrovoice.com/sitefiles/downloads/ZxA1_Series_Loudspeaker_Owners_Manual.pdf

• Members

BTW you still using those no-name powered speakers? I've been watching for a pair to show up on eBay but that vendor hasn't listed any on the US eBay
:(
. Maybe I oughta check the CA eBay
:)
?

I've used the EM FQ450s for a few low or no paying jobs (my daughter's 6th birthday party in my basement for example) and actually rented one out (with portable CD player and mic) to a relative who was having a family party in a 200 person capacity hall. I installed it for them (there was a stage) and made some CDs they could play that were already mixed and for all ages. I had set up the speaker so that the person could simply control the overall volume by adjusting it on the CD player itself. For mic use, she just needed to put up the mic volume on the back of the speaker. Worked great and she paid me 150$ for borrowing it (with CDs, CD Player and mic), which is what the speaker actually cost me. Right now they're on my desk in my studio with my YSM1P-IIs on top. They don't sound as great as they look, but for the average person, they will sound OK. Putting the bass at 1 o`clock and the highs at 3 oclock on the back of the speakers makes them sound decent with most types of music. Mixer section is better than many speakers twice or even four times its price. I will check with the guy is he will be receiving them soon. He will probably put up the price a little (which he should) but even at 400$ a pair with free shippingm they are worth it for the beginning DJ or for general music playback when higher levels than a typical home stereo can produce are required.

Al

Archived