Epi Uptown Kats

Dan Furr55

• Members
4 hours ago, Dan Furr55 said:

What do you guys think about the new Uptown Kats?

We cant go inside any music stores here, so I cant try one.

To me they are beautiful. I have a 339......are they similar?

Dan

Good question.

They sound great from the vids I have seen on the net.

I have always thought the Wild Kat was a very cool guitar. I'm big on Bigbys too. I think they changed the neck too, it's slim taper on that one, the Wildkats have a fatter neck.

If you are in the USA, call up Musicians Friend or Sweetwater.  By the time you can make an appointment at your local shop, it could be at your house. 

A while back MF and GC were have a touch of issues getting in to the warehouse.

Killer guitar for the $$$.

I don't own one either. I have a ton of other guitars.

The 339 is a touch similar, but do you own anything with a Bigsby? The cool factor is really high. I have a Gibson ES 335.

I have 2 Gretsch guitars from the Pro Series with real Bigbys.  They are awesome.

The only thing I can think of that's as cool as the Kats, is the Gretsch Jet 5220 or the 5420, but's more $$$ and you still need to get a case. 

The necks are really nice and thin on the Gretsch's. The black tops pups are not the Filter'trons, but ain't bad, and they definitely are not TV Jones pups.

Your local mom and pop shop desperately needs your $$$ too. I stop in to my local shops a few times a year, and pretend I need something.

They have a free shipping and a great return policy. I think they are letting you try stuff at MF for 90, maybe  even as long as 120 days. Try to return that to you local shop in a few months.

Cool Beans IMO

If you love it order the case. By the time I order something I just order the case with it.

Epiphone E519 Hollowbody Guitar Case

What color you looking at? I love the Blue, the Red being my second choice.

I'm pretty much one of the last men standing on HC. Stop back in soon

yall-come-back-now-ya-hear.jpg

• Moderators

Obviously I have neither seen or tried an Uptown Kat.

But...I have a very early Alley Kat which I simply love. Unmodded....okay a new nut and a roller bridge, that's all I've done to it in...20 years!

Mine is a MiK, not sure where the Uptowns are made. My Kat is mini-hum neck, Classic hum in the bridge, stop tail into a solid block under the bridges only, otherwise hollow. The Uptown looks like 2 mini-hums, like the original Flame Kat, a trapeze tail instead of the stop bar, solid center block, though, like an ES 135, or more like a 339? 

I will be interested in trying one...only if it comes in black, of course...and apparently it doesn't:angry49:

• Members

Thanks guys........

I really cant buy another guitar right now, .....Im thinking about next year. I have 12 guitars...........

I'm attracted by the beauty of these Kat guitars, also an Epi Joe Pass with a dark finish and gold pickups.

I want my next guitar to be gorgeous, easy to play, and not too expensive. (Below $1000).

When I see the JP Epis on youtube they have the tone all the way down for jazz?

Could a JP Epi brighten up for Beatles , and early Eagles sound?

I love Bigsbys, got one on my Gretsch.

I like the blue Kat............heck, the red one too.........

But, do BLACK guitars really sound better?    I have a black Dangelico, and it sounds pretty good. 

Dan

• Members
7 hours ago, Dan Furr55 said:

Thanks guys........

I really cant buy another guitar right now, .....Im thinking about next year. I have 12 guitars...........

I'm attracted by the beauty of these Kat guitars, also an Epi Joe Pass with a dark finish and gold pickups.

I want my next guitar to be gorgeous, easy to play, and not too expensive. (Below $1000).

When I see the JP Epis on youtube they have the tone all the way down for jazz?

Could a JP Epi brighten up for Beatles , and early Eagles sound?

I love Bigsbys, got one on my Gretsch.

I like the blue Kat............heck, the red one too.........

But, do BLACK guitars really sound better?    I have a black Dangelico, and it sounds pretty good. 

Dan

Nice

:wave:

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Dan Furr55 said:

Thanks guys........ But, do BLACK guitars really sound better?    I have a black Dangelico, and it sounds pretty good.

Dan                              

they do to me...:wave:*

That's my Alley Kat, 4th from the left...those guitar's bodies were routed from a solid piece, and then had the top bonded, an interesting method. The Uptowns are built like any ES type, hence the different designation as Uptown Kat ES.

*the mahogany SG was given away to a relative, but now there is a black D'Angelico Premiere DC [335], and a black Danelectro 12 string not in the collection at the time....the one in the 10th position that you can only see the neck is the ES-135LE; I've added the reverse shot for 'clarity'...guess I'll need to do another photo shoot...😉

20170926_162407.jpg

20170926_162342.jpg

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Dan Furr55 said:

Nice herd you got there...............

Especially the black Kat!       and the other semis..........                                     

Thanks, the collection has grown exponentially since my divorce went through in 2004; lost a couple of nice pieces to pay alimony and child support.

I also gave away a couple, like the SG [I only paid~$100 for it, w/hsc...both were pretty trashed and I salvaged both; and an old [late 70's] Goya classical to the son of a friend]...they just were not getting used and needed a good home.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived