Best Delay for metal/rock

styphon

• Members

One of my favorite parts of HC in the past was the gear recommendations. So what do people think is the best delay pedal for metal/rock?

I currently have the carbon delay, which is nice. I also have an older Boss DD20 delay, which is more complicated, but nice in its own way. 

• Members

Rock, metal or country. A delay knows no genre.

I have a MXR Carbon copy on my pedal  board, as it takes up not that much real estate. 

Strymon makes a couple of great delays, if you like delay and have some coin to toss around.

You're looking at the 300- 400 plus dollar range and a bigger foot print.

• Moderators

it really isn't so simple as a 'best' selection, as many cover the same 'tricks' well...it is the exceptions that make some models stand out...and what you want the pedal to do that matters. I own no less than 5 delays, each with its own 'quirk' that sets them apart...one is just better at long decay, one is better at slapback without artifacts, one is just able to give me up to 2 seconds of delay time...one has a more lush sound when the delays overlap...one interacts better with one of the other pedals.

• Members

Really depends on your needs.  When you say "Metal/Rock" I think high gain.  For high gain I like Digital.  Hard to beat a Boss DD3.   Simple, clean, and works.  If you prefer a fatter/darker sound, obviously Analog - I'd go with a classic AD9 or Boss DM2.  Like a Little modulation, but not chorus - MXR Carbon Copy.  All just solid performers.  Still, for Metal - I think a crisp clear digital is going to what you want best unless it is fatten/round out lead delays some.  

But then there are all the Bells & Whistles factors...Do you need/want Tap Tempo?  Dotted 8ths?  Recording, you might want trails on/off.  Playing live, can't beat programmable!  

My old board:  DD3 for long lead delays, AD9 for a metallic/crunch tone, Boss RV3 for a delay/hall combo epic lead tone, and a Garage Tone for that single VH Slap-echo or on the fly settings.  These days I just use Digital from a Zoom Multi.  That way I can program delays for each song/lead as I like.  In a cover band, that really helps.

I have an H&K Tubemeister where I have:

A Tech 21 DLA Boost to set for dotted 8ths or whatever

A BBE Tw-Timer set for short and not-as-short delays

A Visual Sound H2O set for a long delay

And just for fun...I also have a Mooer Reecho on a mini board!!!   Holy crap - I have 8 delays not counting multi-fx pedals!

Archived