Martin authentic acoustic lifespan® 2.0 strings

Mikeo

• Members

One of the most peculiar strings so far. I have to say that I am a fan of the EXP-16. This is my string and I buy it in bulk, sometimes even the workshop pack. I have 25+ acoustic guitars to take care of and those are on all but one of my 6 stringers. One - a very lightly braced OM - sees only Martin Silk&Steel.
But all others get the EXP-16.
While being treated to an exclusive Martin factory tour with a visit to the Museum and the chance to play whatever there was on display, I also got the Lifespan strings (and some other goodies ...).
And I hated those strings with a passion. I mean, I hate most Martin strings, they don't sound right, they don't last, they don't feel right, I just Hate them With a capital H.

But I had those strings and I was - frankly - too lazy to change them, so they stayed on. And they stayed. And the longer they have been on, the better, the more balanced they became. Strange.

Unfortunately, it takes a while for those strings to lose the initial brassiness and I have to bite myself through - and frankly, most of the time I don't and I just put on EXPs - but I put them on the guitars I don't play that often and they last and last.

So, when they are new, I can't stand them, but they are, probably, the best Martin strings..

• Members

After enduring Elixir Polywebs and dusting off their dander I swore off coated strings. I've been particularly underwhelmed with Martin strings in general as well, opting instead for the eve-ubiquitous D'Addorio EJ17 PB mediums. How much would a set cost just to experiment though?

• Members

Pretty much my choice of stings on my acoustics. Made in Farmingdale NY.

ds_exp16_main_transparent2.png

For electrics I use these.

ds_exl110_main_transparent3.png

I have a couple of jazzbox guitars set up with flat wounds Chromes

ds_ecg24-7_main_transparent2.png

I have tried many other brands too over the decades. Ernie Ball, Martin Marquis on acoustics, Elixers and the list goes on and on.

• Members

My current acoustic set is Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze 11-52. I got used to playing electric and the heavier strings on my main acoustic felt too heavy. My strings of choice for electric are Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom 10-52. I've used Martin, D'Addario, GHS, DR, Ernie Ball and others over the years. IIRC my 12-string has Dean Markleys on it.

Archived