All my gear together for the first time in 8 years

Brian Krashpad

• Members
20 hours ago, daddymack said:

I believe that is a 'Breadwinner'...early 70's, Ovation went for the electric market...seemed to me they were just getting their feet under them at that point on the acoustic side...a very striking design, almost a love it or hate it thing, great choice for punk music, while still being a bit 'Jetsons-y'...

BK? Clarification?

You're correct!  Ol' Blue, the guitar I played at my first gig EVAH.

[IMG]

Early '70s USA Ovation Breadwinner. Mahogany body, 24-fret ebony board, 2 torroidal single-coil pickups, active electronics (onboard preamp, 9-volt). My main guitar for most of the '80s.

[IMG]

• Members
On 3/31/2020 at 3:02 PM, 6down1togo said:

Is that Ampeg a reissue? If an original, that is a one in a million. Those were great amps. Also, I bet that Twin Reverb with the JBL's is a monster!!! I got one on loan once when my amp was in the shop. The cleans never stopped no matter how loud.

It's a '90s reish.

The thing you're thinking is a Twin is actually a dual-cabbed Super.  The speakers are 10" Sunn Magna 108's.  That's how it was when I got it.

• Members
45 minutes ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

No offense, but whenever I see a Breadwinner, I automatically think of the Partridge Family... :lol: mainly because that's the first place I ever saw one. 

500aabcc4b93838502725f53dee052a4.jpg

No offense taken, David Cassidy was dreamy!  😍

But seriously folks, from that shot it appears that guitar was a prototype or custom Breadwinner of some sort.  The pickups don't look like the big humbucker-size singles on the original version, nor like the min-humbuckers on the later version.  They may be P-90s!  Also, the faceplate only has one toggle switch rather than two; I'm guessing it's the pickup selector, and that they omitted the out-of-phase switch.

• Members
On 3/31/2020 at 8:49 PM, Phil O'Keefe said:

Very nice collection Brian! 

What is the checkerboard guitar?

Also, what’s the deal with the Epiphone that kind of looks like a wine red Les Paul Deluxe? Did you add mini humbuckers to something that originally had P-90’s in it or...? 

PS You need some acoustics to flesh out the collection a bit... :idea: 

Ta Phil.
Checkers is a no-name "Sears Special," similar to a Teisco or any number of early-'70s MIJ offenses against nature. My folks bought it for me, my first electric. Virtually unplayable. By c. 1980 I finally gave up on it and made it into the wall art in the photo. Originally sunburst. I covered it in white interior wall paint, graphed it off with a pencil, and filled in the black squares with a bottle of black hobbyist model paint, by hand. The back is still sunburst, haha!

I lost track of it after law school, c. 1984, and 6 or 7 years ago at a band reunion, one of my housemates/bandmates from back in the day gave it back to me! It lives up on a shelf in the garage practice space here at palatial Casa Krashpad. I call it the Amen Corner, even I don't know why. Just sounds right.

[IMG]

The Epiphone you ask about is a rarely-seen Epi Les Paul Deluxe.  Sfaik, dead stock.  Great li'l cheapie, totally gigworthy!
spacer.png

spacer.png

12 hours ago, Brian Krashpad said:

But seriously folks, from that shot it appears that guitar was a prototype or custom Breadwinner of some sort.  The pickups don't look like the big humbucker-size singles on the original version, nor like the min-humbuckers on the later version.  They may be P-90s!  Also, the faceplate only has one toggle switch rather than two; I'm guessing it's the pickup selector, and that they omitted the out-of-phase switch.

Yeah, it definitely doesn't look like a perfect match for any of the production Breadwinners I'm familiar with - especially the bridge, the pickups and the knobs - they're all rather unusual for that model. 

10 hours ago, Brian Krashpad said:

The Epiphone you ask about is a rarely-seen Epi Les Paul Deluxe.  Sfaik, dead stock.  Great li'l cheapie, totally gigworthy!
spacer.png

:eekphil: Wow - I thought it looked a lot like a Deluxe - I guess there was a reason for that! :lol:  It's just that I never knew Epiphone had released a Deluxe. This is the first I've heard of it! Do you know around what year it was built?

What's the neck on it like - does it have the rounded 50s profile, or is it a SlimTaper neck like the Gibson Deluxes in the 70s had?

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 4/2/2020 at 9:27 PM, Phil O'Keefe said:

:eekphil: Wow - I thought it looked a lot like a Deluxe - I guess there was a reason for that! :lol:  It's just that I never knew Epiphone had released a Deluxe. This is the first I've heard of it! Do you know around what year it was built?

What's the neck on it like - does it have the rounded 50s profile, or is it a SlimTaper neck like the Gibson Deluxes in the 70s had?

Oops, sorry Phil I hadn't seen your question.  According to guitardaterproject.org site the Deluxe "was made at the Unsung Plant, Korea on [sic] July, 2000."  Iirc the neck is slim taper.

• Moderators
On 4/2/2020 at 5:55 AM, Brian Krashpad said:

No offense taken, David Cassidy was dreamy!  😍

It could be a 'mock-up', just for the show, a non-working version. I don't see an output jack, for one thing.

The Breadwinner was also the first 'production' guitar with active electronics.

Archived