A stupid question...

• Members

Say between sets I want to provide music for patrons to dance to.

Say my option for playing this music is an iPod.

Could I run an iPod jack into the 1/4 input on my Marshall Tube head of my guitar cab, and then run the out into a MixWiz channel in order to "warm" the sound?

The only reason I ask is because I was reading an article in GQ magazine about how a return to full wonderful warm sound will come, and iPods and 128kb songs will be frowned upon, so some companies are creating little tube amps to plug your iPod into....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you actually look through some of the gear they are talking about, a lot of it looks pretty cool.

Plus its nice to see a company that isn't squealing about how great iPods are and that true audiophiles might need a good cuff along side their head...

• Members

All righty then - I've got a line on a new green cheese factory being built on the moon - I can get you in on the ground floor of that once-in-a-lifetime investment opportunity!

:D

Generally any article that has the words "Hi-Fi" or "Audiophile" in it are liable to be BS :(.

• Members

This is what I mean...

"It's time to stop being a slave to the iPod, the shuffle button, and the cold, compressed sound of MP3s. There's a movement afoot to return to a warmer, more analog sound. (Think: tube amps and serious stereos.) The secret is to buy a few key pieces of audio gear

• CMS Author

Could I run an iPod jack into the 1/4 input on my Marshall Tube head of my guitar cab, and then run the out into a MixWiz channel in order to "warm" the sound?

The only reason I ask is because I was reading an article in GQ magazine about how a return to full wonderful warm sound will come, and iPods and 128kb songs will be frowned upon, so some companies are creating little tube amps to plug your iPod into....

Okay how about we actually address this?

Yes, if your Marshall has a direct output, or you insert a DI like a Countryman Type 85 (that can handle speaker-level power) into the speaker outputs, you can "warm up" your iPod tunes. But this won't sound very good, since at best you're only, for lack of a better term, smoothing the edges of the digital signal, and at worst the EQ in the guitar amp is going to make it really difficult to get a flat response. PLus the Marshall is not likely to have a wide frequency response, but I'm not entirely sure of this.

Using a tube amp to "warm" digital signals is by no means new, or all that effective. It's just adding another type of distortion to an already f'd up signal, IMO.

• CMS Author

Ahhh, the good ol days that weren't as good as remembered.

Load of crapola... nothing more.

Note how they talk about dynamic range. Funny, as I remember it, vinyl recordings had to be pretty severely compressed in order to fit the groove depths available on commercial records. The needle could jump out of the groove on loud bass passages, etc.

Not to mention that just one careless needle drop and .......ruined forever....

• Members

Just say no. A crappy sample rate through a Marshall - just say no!

And why do drunks who are half deaf from listening to the band, need or want warmer sound - will they dance any better? And if it's just a value added service, don't bother - you're adding enough value by providing an iPod. Folks can hire a DJ if the break music is that important.

The warm sound of vinyl that everyone longs for is actually an artificial EQ curve implemented to make up for what a diamond does to vinyl.

Anyway, the main problem with MP3's is the missing information IMO. As RR suggests just use higher sample rates.

• Members

I'm actually really surprised hearing everyone's take on this... I thought my generation was taking music and making it garbage for the ears with technology. But it sounds like most of you don't mind a high quality MP3.

Of course, the music still isn't great, but at least the quality of the noise is.

• Members

I'm actually really surprised hearing everyone's take on this... I thought my generation was taking music and making it garbage for the ears with technology. But it sounds like most of you don't mind a high quality MP3.

Of course, the music still isn't great, but at least the quality of the noise is.

Well... I'm not saying the "missing information" of some MP3's doesn't bug me, but so did scratched records, skipping records, melted records.... Not to mention having to stuff the guts of cassette tapes back into their cases OR splicing reel to reel tapes that broke in the middle - and cleaning heads, and de-magnetizing heads and.... well you get the picture.

• Members

Nothing new to add but I am reminded of the phrase...

Garbage in/garbage out

• Members

Well... I'm not saying the "missing information" of some MP3's doesn't bug me, but so did scratched records, skipping records, melted records.... Not to mention having to stuff the guts of cassette tapes back into their cases OR splicing reel to reel tapes that broke in the middle - and cleaning heads, and de-magnetizing heads and.... well you get the picture.

I wonder how many people here even know what a demagnetizer is, let alone how to use it. Reel to reel???? How about 8 tracks that switched tracks right in the middle of songs? ...and the dreaded Fast Forward button. Sure hope you stop in time or the track will change and you have to start over. Those were the days. I

Archived