A stupid question...

• Members

The human ear craves a little distortion in our audio... but the OP need not bother. IF it were worthwhile to do this (and money could be made selling us crap to do it) you can be sure that you wouldn't even have to ask us because Best Buy et al would have already drummed the product details into your brain.

I have tube monoblock amps at home (screw vinyl), but do I expect that warmth from the break music when I go hear a band?!? No.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Say between sets I want to provide music for patrons to dance to.

Say my option for playing this music is an iPod.

Could I run an iPod jack into the 1/4 input on my Marshall Tube head of my guitar cab, and then run the out into a MixWiz channel in order to "warm" the sound?

The only reason I ask is because I was reading an article in GQ magazine about how a return to full wonderful warm sound will come, and iPods and 128kb songs will be frowned upon, so some companies are creating little tube amps to plug your iPod into....

Gawd, that would sound terrible. You know guitar cabinets don't reproduce anything over about 5.5kHz and they have a serious midrange hump - right?

Don't believe everything you read in GQ. The guy is clearly full of poop. If people can stand all that auto-tune vocoder crap, they're certainly not going to notice the compression in an MP3. I think I have decent ears and compared to the clicks, hisses, pops and rumbles that accompanied analog playback devices, along with the general inconvenience, I'll take MP3 players any day.

• Members

Gawd, that would sound terrible. You know guitar cabinets don't reproduce anything over about 5.5kHz and they have a serious midrange hump - right?

The cab or the head? Cause I'm not talking about playing it out the cab and then micing it into the mix, I'm talking going straight from the head to the mix wiz to the mains.

But we've already decided its a bad idea.

• Members

The cab or the head? Cause I'm not talking about playing it out the cab and then micing it into the mix, I'm talking going straight from the head to the mix wiz to the mains.

But we've already decided its a bad idea.

How would you do that?

• Members
Instead of the trs cable going from head to cab it would go from head to input on mixwiz?

:facepalm:
First off it's not a TRS cable. Secondly tubes amps blow up if not properly loaded with the right ohm speaker(s). Thirdly the output is high enough to smoke the mixer.

• Members

Did I miss it or am I the only one wondering why one would bother with trying to up the perceived quality of between set music?

I've got 3 turntables at home of varying quality levels, still have a great cassette deck and yes, a reel-to-reel, but easily 90% of the music I listen to is coming from an iPod, and easily 90% of the content on it is ripped from CDs...

...and I still wouldn't spend 5 seconds trying to improve the quality of how people hear that through a PA in a club, even if it was my own PA.

Now for my own personal listening?
That's a different story altogether; I rip at higher bitrates for listening to on my own personal speakers/earbuds/headphones/etc.

Seems like it would be a fair amount of effort for little to no benefit...

SubsShake-
Do you think your average audience listener is going to hear any difference once everything comes through FOH, especially when the audio will be fighting with crowd noise, clinking glasses & bottles, etc.?

• Members

SubsShake-

Do you think your average audience listener is going to hear any difference once everything comes through FOH, especially when the audio will be fighting with crowd noise, clinking glasses & bottles, etc.?

No I guess this was just more about learning than anything. I didn't intend to do this, and I don't think I'd try it, BUT... once in a while its fun to ask experts why you shouldn't do something...

Like asking a fireman why you shouldn't use vodka to blow fire... etc.

• Members

You know what works even better than a tube amp at smoothing out digital music?

Booze.

There are many different ways to listen to music. If you're critical listening in your living room, by all means, bust out the vinyl through the hi-fi. But as for listening on the go, Ipods are awesome. Mine has totally changed the way I listen to music.

• Members

The only reason I ask is because I was reading an article in GQ magazine about how a return to full wonderful warm sound will come, and iPods and 128kb songs will be frowned upon, so some companies are creating little tube amps to plug your iPod into....

128Kb MP3's have been frowned upon since forever. I can't tell the difference between 320Kb MP3 and Flac but my collection is all Flac just in case my hearing improves ;)

IMO the quality of playback also depends a lot on your system config. I imagine most guys in local bands are running two d- radiating 18" and two 12" tops. Works well for say Reggae, Dancehall or Soul but no so well for music that needs tight fast transient response like Techno or House

• Members

how long till we discuss male to male edison cables powering a 10kw amp bridged into a pv118? that oughta warm things up.

another thought.....crappy bitrate recordings will sound better with MORE distortion?:facepalm::facepalm:

another thought.....can you tell the difference between an mp3 and a cd through most PA's in a semi hostile environment?:facepalm::facepalm:

i've been running my ipod into my mixwiz for a few years and not one person has commented on any type of sonic quality.

another thought...why is it certain types of people get ideas to kludgeon tech and think they will somehow make it better?:facepalm::facepalm:

kludgeon is a copyrighted word by coaster.

• Members
how long till we discuss male to male edison cables powering a 10kw amp bridged into a pv118? that oughta warm things up.

Ooh - I'm in :lol:.

Reminds me of the guy that cut a pair of two wire household power extension cords in half and wired them between his home stereo amp and speakers. That way he could use pairs of uncut ones to extend his speakers out to the back yard. Anybody want to guess what happened one day :facepalm: ? Them speakers definitely didn't die of being underpowered that day :thu: .

• Members
:facepalm:
First off it's not a TRS cable. Secondly tubes amps blow up if not properly loaded with the right ohm speaker(s). Thirdly the output is high enough to smoke the mixer.

I don't know which Marshall he has, but mine has a compensated XLR line out.

Speaker out into mixer is definitely going to be fun.

Archived