Any experience with OSP snakes?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just get an EWI 24x8 100'. I have 2 and they've been easy to work with.

I have the same snake and it works great and has held up well. One thing not mentioned is how well the snake is shielded. Can't speak for 0sp but with lower priced snakes the shielding may not be up to par.

I continue to order from audiopile. (did just this week) Good company.

Dookietwo

• Members

We use a Proco Stagemaster snake and with great care haven't haed any aproblems with it. The only bummer about this thinkg is taht there is no wire mesh to hold the fantail up and make it more ruggesd but we are quite cautious with this snake. WE could use a 150' snake and 150' speaker cables to go with it but the biggest gigs we intend on running is for small ventues anyway. Thcich brings me to this point. Last weekend we did a gig in a larger room and had to mix behind the mains due to the fact taht we didn't have 150' cables for anytnhing.YUUUUUCCCCHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We could have coupled two snakes together then we would nave needed longer speaker cables as our setup has the board built into the amp rack as of right now. We could use a whole different kind of setup but the cash just isn't there. I used my headphones to mix and it was ok. Only once in a while did I need to go out in front to hear the mains. Too bad the vocalist acted like a jerk.

• Members

We use a Proco Stagemaster snake and with great care haven't haed any aproblems with it. The only bummer about this thinkg is taht there is no wire mesh to hold the fantail up and make it more ruggesd but we are quite cautious with this snake.

That's too bad, the Stagemaster has to be one of the biggest POS products ever built. The cable is good quality but the box and fantail connectors are the worst of the worst quality. IDC connections and the box connectors are molded in groups of 4 that are also IDC and slide into extrusions. Cheap, cheap, cheap. Totall waste of money IMO.

• Members

Ive been using a ProCo snake that i got on Craigslist for the last year with no problems. I replaced the 1/4" returns with XLR's thats been about it. However I do baby it so who knows. Its not a stagemaster but its several years old. Its a 24-8 with strain relef and Neutrik connectors. And the box end has a few blank panels for what look like a pair of EDAC connectors. Cant complain for 100.00 Now im going to have to find out the model.

Is the rest of ProCo's stuff besides there entry level products up to par ?

• Members

Its not a stagemaster
but its several years old. Its a 24-8 with strain relef and Neutrik connectors. And the box end has a few blank panels for what look like a pair of EDAC connectors. Cant complain for 100.00 Now im going to have to find out the model.

Is the rest of ProCo's stuff besides there entry level products up to par ?

BIG difference.

ProCo makes some very nice stuff.

• Members

I was gonna say that I have a PROCo roadmaster 24/8 that I bought off a friend that was getting divorced for $300. The thing is built like a tank (and weighs about half as much) and has been abused for at least 6 years. All Neutric connectors, but I can't say who's cable is used in it. I wish I had 3 of them as they are rented pretty regularly and have paid me back my initial investment about 10 times over.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

We'll be stepping up to EWI on the next purchase. It's going to be long and probably on a reel if there is such an animal as a split reel snake. We've used the SM for two years now and really haven't had any problems. I just know we need to take good care and not to be rough on the sucker.

:blah: :blah: :blah:

• Members

Just as an update. I purchased my 12x4 OSP snake about a year ago and now 2 sends and 1 return are inoperable. I have extra jacks for the sends so I will replace, assuming its not the wire. I've already budgeted money to buy a 16/4 reel snake from EWI or some such. Just waiting for this one to die even more.

• Members

Just as an update. I purchased my 12x4 OSP snake about a year ago and now 2 sends and 1 return are inoperable. I have extra jacks for the sends so I will replace, assuming its not the wire. I've already budgeted money to buy a 16/4 reel snake from EWI or some such. Just waiting for this one to die even more.

Not such a great deal after all eh? It often turns out this way unfortunately.

• Members

Not such a great deal after all eh? It often turns out this way unfortunately.

Mebbe :)

For $150 and not knowing how long my band was going to last at that point, it was a decent deal. I'd have liked to it last longer, and I can still use it for a while, I only need about 9 of the sends and 2 of the returns. But not knowing if the whole thing will crap out isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

Buy once cry once! Since this purchase I've followed that mantra, and it is obviously worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Most snakes lives are dependent on how you take care of them. There is no excuse for letting the ends get tangled up. Get a tom case to keep it in and roll it up immediately after use. Keep the fan ends plugged into the box when not in use. I have a 12x4 OSP that has lasted me several years with no problems.

(Just sayin')

• Members

Most snakes lives are dependent on how you take care of them. There is no excuse for letting the ends get tangled up. Get a tom case to keep it in and roll it up immediately after use. Keep the fan ends plugged into the box when not in use. I have a 12x4 OSP that has lasted me several years with no problems.

(Just sayin')

This may be true with a higher quality product, but at the bottom end of things normal useage is often more than the lower quality products can handle. Otherwise there wouldn't need to be a higher quality product in the market eh?

I expect at least 1000 shows out of a sbake before major maintenance or rebuild. I have some snakes that have 2 or 3 thousand shows on them, and I have a problem with a snake channel maybe once out of 7 or 8 hundred shows. This is the kind of reliability I need and am willing to pay for it because in the long run it's a bargain.

• Members

so EWI snakes are good right? I think I'll get a 16x4 reel if it's not going to break the bank.

Good choice I love Mark's EWI stuff and Mark and Liz are awesome folks to do business with.

Nice to buy a product from a forum member esp. if you need help. Like he's helped me in the past with a few things over the years.

• Members

I can't find anything about a warranty on OSP...

If it's any help, here's what I believe is the OSP warranty from their snake products website overview webpage:

http://www.ospworldwide.com/productcart/pc/viewcontent.asp?idpage=2

Also, I believe OSP is possibly marketing some portion of their snake products, or possibly all of their snake products under a possibly new tradename of "Elite Core"... and judging by what they were displaying in their booth at the most recent Namm... it appears that their "Elite Core" snakes (shown at Namm) are changed from previous models.

• Members

Changed for the better, or for.....?

It would be tough to go the other way with OSP.

Not my choice to buy the stuff, but I have had to work with one terrifyingly bad 57 knock-off and a super flimsy roadcase workbox built by them. I have had not terrible results with their DIs and XLR mic cables, but I only had to work with them for a couple of months...

• Members

I just ordered a Seismic Audio 24x4x100'. It's due to arrive tomorrow according to Fed Ex tracking. I really hate the looks of the connectors on the box and the fact that it appears that they mount from INSIDE the box (under the top plate), not from on top of the box, making it a dog to service if (when?) needed. I went with Seismic rather than OSP because of 22 ga wire rather than 24. I'm going to use it for location recording projects that are few and far between, so it makes sense to get me going. If things pick up I'll just dump it off and buy a good one.

Archived