Build #3 - Martin-inspired 14 fret 000 Black Walnut

kwakatak

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Nothing new to report other than me playing with the dovetail joint and trying to figure out how to get the neck set properly. I understand the geometry needs but never really appreciated how elegant and simple the dovetail neck joint actually is. With just a little pressure I was able to get a nice tight fit, though I'm struggling to understand where exactly I need to chisel and sand in order to properly set the neck angle.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • Members
Posted (edited)

I’m never using a palm sander on a guitar ever again. I didn’t stay true and sanded through the herringbone purfling. Now I need to go back and do it over. Does anybody know if they sell blades for whatever this thing is called so that I can make a notch so that the router doesn’t tear the top away?

image.jpg

Edited by kwakatak
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

Ouch!!!

Sorry to see that...I don't know what that 'thing' is...I only fix guitars...I don't make them.:wave:

I'm guessing it is a purfling groove cutter, so I would think there should be blades or an adjunct knife...looking at this online...yep....obviously this gets done often enough that they sell the tools [I may buy a set, just in case].

What do you have in there now? It looks like a finishing nail....?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CR17R58Q/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0CR17R58Q&pd_rd_w=8uDU0&content-id=amzn1.sym.0d1092dc-81bb-493f-8769-d5c802257e94&pf_rd_p=0d1092dc-81bb-493f-8769-d5c802257e94&pf_rd_r=GHE7ZKTWPAEVS9KY9MRE&pd_rd_wg=aetw0&pd_rd_r=c49eaf15-65c0-408d-bc4d-47a27666a718&s=musical-instruments&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwy

Do you have one of these?

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/tools-by-job/tools-for-violins/purflingsoundhole-router-guide/?mtm_source=google&mtm_medium=cpc&mtm_campaign=|+GOO+|+SHOP+|+NBR+|+AllProductsUSA&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwt-OwBhBnEiwAgwzrUq35l95nXTUQeNqI9g51zMWSD4Dx6eqyFGs3j1nA1nMU53TAYqJK3BoCyI4QAvD_BwE

• Members

That first link is it. I just need to buy a replacement blade.

FWIW yes I do have a Dremel but I also need to rout off the maple binding with this:

spacer.png

I need to at use this thing I made for the main cut but I need to use the little thing first to score a line so that the bit on this doesn't fling off any more than it's supposed to; it makes a sort of pilot cut.

• Thanks 1

• Members

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU*****************!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TLDR i dropped it. I was ALMOST done with a step that causes me nothing but stress. The bit grabbed and it flew out of my hands. Now I need to call my therapist and work through the 7 stages of grief. 

PS: it could have been worse; it could have been my finger. 

IMG_0169.jpeg

• Sad 2

• Moderators

:eek2:That is really tragic...I can't imagine how frustrated you must feel, so much work, so much mental stress to have it all stopped by one small error. Are the back and sides are still in good shape? Or is it hosed?:(

• Members
Posted (edited)

Thanks, DM. I’m coming out from the initial shock and am in the negotiation phase of grief - where I’m trying to figure out a way to repair it.

Here’s how close I was to being done:

IMG_0171.jpeg

Note the wood between the walnut side and the spruce top. That's the Spanish cedar kerfed lining. It's VERY soft and likely 2" of it split upon impact.

Edited by kwakatak

• Members
Posted (edited)

I’m a glutton for punishment and likely have OCD but I also noticed that the herringbone in that area was coming off. So I picked it away. Here’s a closeup of the wound in all its goriness:

IMG_0173.jpeg.fb064fc85454d6242f79b0a0c392a7be.jpeg

My first impression is that the binding is definitely going to need to come all the way off. I can already see where the binding has literally broken away from the top. That means that the kerfed lining is no longer attached to the sides there. 

Edited by kwakatak
  • Sad 1

• Members
On 4/20/2024 at 4:33 PM, kwakatak said:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU*****************!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TLDR i dropped it. I was ALMOST done with a step that causes me nothing but stress. The bit grabbed and it flew out of my hands. Now I need to call my therapist and work through the 7 stages of grief. 

Sorry to hear it but I have faith in your abilities. 🫣

• Like 1