Build #3 - Martin-inspired 14 fret 000 Black Walnut

kwakatak

• Members

I’ve spent the last two days getting the body ready for the new top. That involved gluing on new lining and sanding in a 60’ radius.

I also broke out my little table saw and ripped out new braces for this build and the next. My failed top has braces I bought at Martin but these will be all my making. The X braces will be tricky but I’ve done them before. The concern will be the brace angle and the lap joint. 

Finally, the last image shows that the body may likely be a little shallower. That’s not a bad thing. I was not happy with the binding before so this gives me a chance to do it over. I won’t be working on concrete though! 

IMG_0234.jpeg

IMG_0236.jpeg

IMG_0237.jpeg

• Members
23 hours ago, daddymack said:

Okay, it looks like you have your head and your heart back in this one:thu:

So, the Martin braces were not salvageable, or will you use them again elsewhere?

I tried to take them off the old top but when I applied heat the top cracked. 

• Thanks 1

• Members

Braces are underway. Cutting the lap joint took a lot of effort but I got a nice tight fit at a set 95° angle and I won’t have to do the cloth patch like I did on the left. Next thin for them is to sand the 60’ radius in the underside of the braces and cut another maple bridge plate  

I still have to thin the top down a little, first, then I need to do the rosette. I have more purfling coming from Stewmac; I only want to do black lines on the outer rings like Martin does. 

IMG_0238.jpeg

• Moderators
6 hours ago, kwakatak said:

I tried to take them off the old top but when I applied heat the top cracked. 

That was my main concern when you first mentioned you wanted to re-use them....a shame. but, as we know, $#!+ happens. It just proves what a good job you did attaching them in the first place!:wave:

• Members

One thing I do is to check the flexibility of the top while running it through the drum sander. When I hold it on both sides and shake it back and forth and it makes a metallic noise (like if you were doing the same thing with a piece of steel) then it's time to stop sanding. Now I've moved on to the rosette and got the herringbone ring in. I still haven't done the inner and outer rings or routed out the soundhole because I was working in my driveway and ran out of sunlight. I plan to pick up on Monday then move on to doing the same with No. 4.

• Members
On 5/20/2024 at 7:56 PM, daddymack said:

and...it is Monday....?😉

The rosette is about ready to be glued in. I did the herringbone ring yesterday then the outer rings today. I also did some yard work and sanded the back on No. 4. 

In all honesty I got a late start this morning. I slept like crap last night due to a family issue then decided I needed to go back to bed. I really don’t want to get into it; I’d like to sleep tonight. I’m thinking of breaking into my wife’s wine collection tonight; beer and whiskey don’t mellow me out enough. 

IMG_0241.jpeg

• Members
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, daddymack said:

Wine is definitely more for chilling out...sorry you are dealing with 'stuff'.

Nothing wrong with yard work either...that's how I spent the better part of my day.

Thanks. I gotta expand the wife’s wine rack though. 

Edited by kwakatak

• Members
Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 7:19 PM, kwakatak said:

I’d like to sleep tonight. I’m thinking of breaking into my wife’s wine collection tonight; beer and whiskey don’t mellow me out enough. 

Sorry to hear you're having trouble sleeping. Been there when I worked nights. 😟

Edited by DeepEnd

• Members
10 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

Sorry to hear you're having trouble sleeping. Been there when I worked nights. 😟

Nah, the nightmare is during the day. The sleep thing is PTSD. The reason these projects take me so long and I lose control of other things is likely ADHD affecting my ability to prioritize. I need to schedule with a therapist.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, daddymack said:

looks pretty damned good from here! :thu:

I see you like to leave the brace edges square, rather than rounded off.

I’ll chisel them round and scallop them once they’re glued up then sand them all smooth. The X brace needs to be whittled down 1/4” in height too. 

EDIT: I just did a dry fit with the go-bars and keeping the top flat also helps the rods seat firmly without slipping.

Edited by kwakatak
  • Thanks 1

• Members

I’m lining up the top so that I know where to cut notches in the sides. I’m using the two little holes in the neck block and the centerline of the mold along with a couple of dowels. Once I figured out where to do it I drilled two holes in the top. They will be covered by the fretboard.  I’ve also rounded some of the braces but not the ones I also need to scallop. 

IMG_0271.jpeg

IMG_0270.jpeg

IMG_0281.jpeg