MixWiz question...

• Members

Is there anyway to EQ all my drum inputs on the same EQ channel? I don't know if I'm asking this very well...

Basically I'd like to take Kick, Snare, Toms, make them a subgroup or whatever... then send all 5 to a DBX231?

Possible?

• Members

Not on a MixWiz, not in any practical way.

IMO, there's enough channel eq on each channel to eq a drum kit just fine PROVIDED your system and your drums are up to it. If not, you would be attempting to polish a turd.

I did see on Mythbusters after a week of polishing. They did make a piece of turd shiny. So it is possible.:thu: Just make sure there isn't any corn or nuts in it.

• Members

:thu:

Alright, curiosity has got the better of me - Subs, why do you want to do the thing that should not be mentioned?

Actually, I don't think I have a good reason.

The poor reason... is because I'd like to mic the entire kit and play around with EQ just as practice, but since I'm doing that in our new practice studio, which isn't huge I get a lot of feedback before I can even notice a difference. So I thought if I could eq a lot of that out... but as I'm typing this I'm realizing that I'm not getting much practice by starting with an already jagged eq...

Another reason is for recording out of mixwiz and into a Tascam 788. Just cause I'd record the whole kit at once on one channel/track.

My head hurts.

• Members

Is there anyway to EQ all my drum inputs on the same EQ channel? I don't know if I'm asking this very well...

Basically I'd like to take Kick, Snare, Toms, make them a subgroup or whatever... then send all 5 to a DBX231?

Possible?

I think that you would be VERY disappointed with the sound of a snare drum EQ'd for kick, or vice versa.....

If you're trying to make up for problems in the rook or the system itself, that should be done on the mains EQ, not in the channels. If you're trying to EQ for the instrument, it should be done in the channel. I can't think of a situation where I would want to EQ a subgroup (though perhaps other FX could be done that way.....?)

• Members

The best eq for any drum(s) is proper tuning of the drum(s) itself. After that comes quality mics. From there you should be able to make small (if any) adjustments on the channel eq provided board, amps and speakers are up to the task.

• Members

I've used EQ on a subgroup before in times of need. Two examples are on backing vox mics and choir mics that all matched trying to get a little more GBF when the channel EQ isn't enough and I don't want to completely mess up the mains EQ.

There are no subgroups on the mixer in question, and each drum is likely to be different sounding as there are different mics and sources. EQ on a drum subgroup isn't going to buy much of anything.

• Members

The best eq for any drum(s) is proper tuning of the drum(s) itself. After that comes quality mics. From there you should be able to make small (if any) adjustments on the channel eq provided board, amps and speakers are up to the task.

Provided the drums are of quality.

Some drums on the market are nothing more then over priced cardboard boxes. I'm pretty sure that sonotubes and 5 gallon buckets would give them a run for their money and are way cheaper :thu:

Archived