Directional Placement of Amps on Stage

• Members

Any tips on proper stage placement of amps? The other guitarist and I prefer not to turn down for the sake of preserving hi-gain tone, but we know we can't punish the sound guy or the crowd. Is it usual to put amps near the front two corners of the stage, and turn them back around to push sound back at the band?

I am thinking of picking up a 2x12 cabinet as well to allow this set up to work on smaller stages.

Any thoughts or tips?

• Members

We were experimenting with this tonight actually. When we faced the guitar amps inward toward each other, so the audience would be at 90 degrees to the cabs, it sounded much better from an audience point of view.

But I dont know what we'll end up doing because apparently 'it looks stupid'.

Apparently its *really* important for all bands that their guitar amps look a certain way :S

Cant speak for anyone else but I dont enjoy a band any more if I see them using the same pedestrian marshall half stack backline that every other band has. Guess it must just be me?

Steve.

• Members

We were experimenting with this tonight actually. When we faced the guitar amps inward toward each other, so the audience would be at 90 degrees to the cabs, it sounded much better from an audience point of view.

Apparently its *really* important for all bands that their guitar amps look a certain way :S

Cant speak for anyone else but I dont enjoy a band any more if I see them using the same pedestrian marshall half stack backline that every other band has. Guess it must just be me?

Steve.

No Steve, you're not the only one. I am tired of BEING that Marshall half stack backlined band with stage volume that deafens everyone in the house, including the band. I want to experience the volume and sound on stage, and I want the crowd to have a good experience too, and I must find a way to break this backlined amp mold, because it should seem obvious to all bands that the status quo isn't working.

{censored} image on this one. If I saw a band doing this, and the sound is top notch, :thu: from me.

• Members

There is another issue to consider - facing the amps cross-stage will end up in a volume war more times than not, because one guitarist's amp is pointed right at the other guy's.

The correct solution is to run on-stage volume to match the drums, so that the stage mix is fairly close to the FOH mix.

If you just plain can't find a way to get the amp to sound good at sane volumes and you refuse to consider pointing them backward from the front of the stage, you need to put something in front of them, angle them upwards towards the player, or lift them up so that the sound goes over the audience's heads. One way to do this is to use a FULL stack, but only connect the top cabinet.

Better yet, either use an attenuator or buy an amp that sounds good at a reasonable volume level.

One last option: if the "look" is so important, put a dummy stack behind each player, then run the real cabs like monitors angled up at them from the front of the stage.

• Members

Stick the Marshall cab behind you and don't plug it in. Get a 2x12 cab, a set of lean backs from Fender, then put them on the 2x12, then put the 212 on the floor in front of you and lean it back so it's shooting up at you just like a monitor. That worked wonders for me when I was gigging last.

• Members

I forgot to mention I am also the singer, but I use a built in gate for my microphone, it does a damn good job of keeping extra stage noise out. I am also using an Audix OM7 which has great sound-leak prevention built into it anyways.

• Members

I sang backups in the last band I was in.

The setup that I found the most useful was.

I put the 2x12 leaned back on my right and the vocal monitor on the left in front of me setup in a / . Then put a Sennheiser e609 and the cab. That OM7 is a great mic. As long as you keep in mind the pickup pattern of the mic you can find the perfect spot for the monitor.

Put the mic stand in the middle of the V then your pedals.

• Members

There was a post awhile back about wedge shape monitor guitar cab like the Fender Ultrasonic but minus the amp part just speaker only. That's specifically designed for guitarist only. I think the guy even mentioned that Mick Mars was using them on his live rig set up if memory serves me right.

Maybe the guy can chime in and re-post the link to the name brand and store that sells them.

Personally I just put guitar in my wedges so my guys don't have to blast their halfstacks.

We do one venue that I have to tell the soundguy don't blow my head off with guitar because we don't like playing metal at a whisper but then again we don't wanna be so loud it will cause hearing damage either.

• Members

Personally, for the bands I'm play in now, I take the back two wheels out of my 4X12 cab, so it angles up at me, and I aim it from my side of the stage toward the opposite front corner of the stage. This way it is aimed in front of the other guitar player on that side of the stage, but not into the crowd. depending on stage size, this usually puts the aim a couple of feet back from my mic. My other guitar player does the same. Plus, I use a 50W head (Marshall JVM205) with a master volume allowing me to get that saturated output tube tone, at very reasonable levels (I have been told many times that I could turn up if I wanted to). That's how I run it for hard rock/heavy metal bands (Megadeth, Godsmack, etc.).

When I play rock, pop, fusion or blues, I typically use smaller amps (Orange AD30, Tiny Terror or a Fender Blues Deluxe), with a 1x12 or 2x12, on a stand facing me

• Members

there are a couple different guys in town that play with marshal cabs turned sideways and such low volume that its obscene. i dont really think GAIN has so much to do with tone after hearing these complete experts on guitar tone play at any volume and get the same tone.

one guy in particular has his cab so quiet that i have to put it in his in-ear even though he stands right next to it. thunderous ballsy hi definition tone. it sounds truly incredible to be able to put that guitar sound through the PA as hot as i want and not fight with stage volume.

• Members

For my own purposes I've found that volume and tone is largely ( though not 100% completely )a balancing act between the gain knob and the volume knob. If I'm playing some very small venue the volume goes down and I'll add in some more gain. If I'm playing an outdoor gig then obviously the volume goes up but to preserve the tone I like I'll turn the gain down. Playing at a lower volume simply means dialing in a good tone at a lower volume :)

• Members

Steve.

We do the same thing, and have for a long time. It works great. Looks don't do anything for sound :facepalm:

Archived