Coloring extension cords

• Members

I find myself with a large collection of yellow extention cords. Most of them are pretty heavy 12 ga. so I hesitate to just give them away. Anybody have any tips on coloring these things black?. I figured I'd try a broad tip sharpie. Probably got 400 feet of this stuff. I guess that would be a lot of sharpies. :lol:

TW

• Members

Sounds like a LOT of work. If you must blacken them, lay them out in a straight line over some newspaper and hit them with that new spray paint made for plastic krylon and a couple others make. Then roll them over and do the other side. maybe do a 1/3 roll for better coverage. I figure one good pass each time would suffice.

An alternative to try would be shoe dye.

Boomerweps

• Members

Only change the ones that will be going across the stage. If they are feeding power to FOH or backline, keep them yellow so they standout. It is a good safety thing. Make them visible as possible.

Most solutions (sharpie, shoe polish, electrical tape) will cause way more problems then they solve (been there, done that). The sharpie ink will come off in your hands, the shoe polish will also not cover too well and also come of onto your clothes and hands. Not sure about the paint but I assume you will end up with paint chips on everything as the paint will not be as pliable as the cord's insulation.

Good quality gaffer's tape will probably be your best bet. Really, only color the cords that would be visible on the stage.

• Members

Most solutions (sharpie, shoe polish, electrical tape) will cause way more problems then they solve (been there, done that). The sharpie ink will come off in your hands, the shoe polish will also not cover too well and also come of onto your clothes and hands. Not sure about the paint but I assume you will end up with paint chips on everything as the paint will not be as pliable as the cord's insulation.

Nobody in their right mind would suggest shoe POLISH. I stated shoe DYE. It should NOT come off easily but it is made to color leather. Never tried the paint specifically made for plastic on flexible items but I figured $4 is worth a try.

Easiest route is to just retire yellow cables for home & business extension use and to buy a spool of black cable and ends & make your own new cables. Bonus is custom lengths.

Boomerweps

• Members

Nobody in their right mind would suggest shoe POLISH. I stated shoe DYE. It should NOT come off easily but it is made to color leather. Never tried the paint specifically made for plastic on flexible items but I figured $4 is worth a try.

Easiest route is to just retire yellow cables for home & business extension use and to buy a spool of black cable and ends & make your own new cables. Bonus is custom lengths.

Boomerweps

I'm pretty sure I responded before the coffee had a chance to take affect. Even my gaffer's tape suggestion was iffy. It would add a {censored}load of weight to a 100' 12 ga cable not to mention the cost.

• Members

Boomerweps

I just happened to have a bottle of black shoe dye sitting around so I gave it a shot. Coverage is a little ifffy but you're right about it not coming off. Definitely not as pro looking as a true black cord but the dye was free and so was my time. This cord will be a bit harder to spot on stage but I don't think I'd do it again. I was surprised how well it adhered. didn't think it would stick that well.

TW

• CMS Author

I just happened to have a bottle of black shoe dye sitting around so I gave it a shot. Coverage is a little ifffy but you're right about it not coming off. Definitely not as pro looking as a true black cord but the dye was free and so was my time. This cord will be a bit harder to spot on stage but I don't think I'd do it again. I was surprised how well it adhered. didn't think it would stick that well.

TW

The problem is that you may still discover too late that something at a venue will cause it to bleed or rub off onto something that someone else will suddenly declare to be of incredible value to them, and that you've just ruined.

Don't {censored} around with this type of stuff. Get the cables you need and sell off the stuff that's not suitable. Contractors and others will find yellow cords to be just what they need. It's well worth the price difference. In fact, the price of copper being what it is, you can even sell the cables for their scrap value and realize a good return.

• Members

I bought a bunch of yellow 12g (I believe) cable for a school a while back. This was on purpose - in that kind of setting cables need to be really visible.

Either get rid of the cables or use them for situations where no one is going to sneer at them, and where the colour is actually a blessing.

• Members

Yeah, in the end, it just wasn't very satisfactory. As a final test, I wiped the cord down with a wet paper towel. After a short time the dye rehydrated itself and came off as thick as it went on. Good thing I was only experimenting on a 10' cord. If I had used that cord in wet conditions, it would have been a F####### mess. Guess it's time for Craigslist. But Boomwerps I do appreciate the suggestion. I needed something to do today anyway.

TW

• Members

Since were talking yellow ext cords....lol

My wife asks me what lengths cords she needs for her xmas lights so i told her three 100 footers two 50's and a 25'. I was thinking she was going to get some disposable ones from wal-mart. Forgot that shes shopped enough with me and came home with 12ga cords. :eek: So now i wont be hurting on cords for my shop and jobsite.

• Members

Since were talking yellow ext cords....lol

My wife asks me what lengths cords she needs for her xmas lights so i told her three 100 footers two 50's and a 25'. I was thinking she was going to get some disposable ones from wal-mart. Forgot that shes shopped enough with me and came home with 12ga cords.
:eek:
So now i wont be hurting on cords for my shop and jobsite.

damn. thats some serious coin for molded cables that size/gauge. last pre-made 12/3 vinyl/latex/not rubber i got was over $67 years back.

• Members

Yeah, in the end, it just wasn't very satisfactory. As a final test, I wiped the cord down with a wet paper towel. After a short time the dye rehydrated itself and came off as thick as it went on. Good thing I was only experimenting on a 10' cord. If I had used that cord in wet conditions, it would have been a F####### mess. Guess it's time for Craigslist. But Boomwerps I do appreciate the suggestion. I needed something to do today anyway.

TW

That's why us old {censored}s were doubtful ;)

• Members

That's why us old {censored}s were doubtful
;)

Yes, Yes, I know Andy. I should not have doubted that a number of you guys tried this long ago!!!! I guess I was just hopeful that somebody had a magic technique that never occurred to anyone else. And I was bored today. Put some better handles on some monitor cabinets and then ran out of stuff to do. It's freezing ass cold in Susanville right now. Hard to find much to do outside. OH___THAT REMINDS ME, I NEED TO START ANOTHER THREAD!!!!

TW

• Members

I have tried the Special krylon for plastics- It actually does work, but it takes forever to dry (think like a month to get totally cured and un tackey). I do find it practicle and good for use on molded tritaps. I tried it on a couple of cables and it works well bu is a pain. I hate to say I have a nice selection of yellow/orange cables but i do. I usually send these out with rentals or they stay in the bottom of the bin as emergency spares- the only thing less proffesional than Orange ext cables are having no Cables. Ususally what happens are that these become cycled into my 70v horn cable box. I can justify the usage better.

Archived