Coloring extension cords

• Members

i have several yellow cords; i think off hand i have 3 100' 12/3 because i have one location where AHJ says "yellow cords on grass".

so; yellow cords on grass for me. in ten years no one has tripped over them. i do however have a nice black stringer for the stage.

• Members

Colored cords in this neighborhood ?

:lol:

One thing good about having lots of different colored, striped, etc cords is having quick i.d. when you've powered everything under stage/risers from back to front, or front to back.
When you get things hooked up you have no doubt what circuit is feeding what gear.
At first I was pissed that we didn't have all one color cords , till I made them work to my advantage.

:)

0, 0

• Members

Except cable jacket is not vinyl. The die will come off on surfaces like white walls and probably at the worst possible time like when the building manager is watching you.

Doesn't the "T" in the rating designation mean the jacket is PVC (vinyl)?

ex. SJTW or SJTOW

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cable-Outdoor-Extension-100-Foot/dp/B00004SQF5/ref=sr_1_5?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1291271972&sr=1-5

• Members

Doesn't the "T" in the rating designation mean the jacket is PVC (vinyl)?

ex. SJTW or SJTOW

T officially stands for thermoplastic, which MAY be PVC but there are other materials like TPE that qualify too.

PVC is not the kind of vinyl that the dye is intended for (IME). There are other vinyls that do not contain chlorine that are used in the fabrication of wire jacketing depending on the application. Unfortunately, the term PVC is so often bantered about without understanding the complexity and wide variations that exist. There are hard and soft vinyl materials (think the chemical difference between hard water pipe, house siding and soft shower curtains, both often called "PVC") In general, the dies are designed for the softer materials and even then only some will adequately take the dies. Some reject dies and staining.

I am not a chemist, but I have by necessity studied these materials because of their use and applications in our industry and my need to understand my options when designing products. The field is unbelievable complex and a chemical engineer or chemist can specialize in just this material for a lifetime.

• Members
T officially stands for thermoplastic, which MAY be PVC but there are other materials like TPE that qualify too.

PVC is not the kind of vinyl that the dye is intended for (IME). There are other vinyls that do not contain chlorine that are used in the fabrication of wire jacketing depending on the application. Unfortunately, the term PVC is so often bantered about without understanding the complexity and wide variations that exist. There are hard and soft vinyl materials (think the chemical difference between hard water pipe, house siding and soft shower curtains, both often called "PVC") In general, the dies are designed for the softer materials and even then only some will adequately take the dies. Some reject dies and staining.

I am not a chemist, but I have by necessity studied these materials because of their use and applications in our industry and my need to understand my options when designing products. The field is unbelievable complex and a chemical engineer or chemist can specialize in just this material for a lifetime.

I'm far from any kind of authority on the subject. I brought it up because I've seen that people who customize computers often dye their power supply wire bundle, and other wiring, for aesthetic reasons with excellent results.

It's one of those things that a hobbyist or semi-professional, with little to risk, might attempt that either works really well or leads to disaster. :idk:

Archived