QSC GX7......15.5 lbs!!!!

• Members

Ha! Finally. I have urged those at QSC to do exactly this. Had a couple of interesting phone conversations and e-mails about 18 months ago suggesting exactly this PLUS a GX-3 and 5 with an SMPS as well. I did suggest an aluminum chassis for more weight savings, but simple, proven technology and no f*cking DSP or computer to muck up reliability. Wonder if they implimented the 30-ish Hz HPF I suggested... Now they just need to get their amp power recommendations more in like with reality or there will be a whole lot more speakers up for reconing ;)

Look out Harman, these guys "get it". DSP belongs in the higher end amps that are less likely to be used by those folks who seem to get in trouble. I know of a lot of users why struggle w/ the Crown amps & DSP. I get service phone calls all the time and just refer them back to Crown. Don't need that crap, nor are they willing to pay to get it sorted out either.

• Members

Did they add a crossover filter per channel or does it still tie up both channels when the filter is used? The crossover built in is of course a good idea but one per channel would be so much better.

Dookietwo

That's how the Yamaha is configured, and the crossover is also adjustable. I think it's a really nice feature set, but they're much heavier than these new lightweights.

• Members

Look out Harman, these guys "get it". DSP belongs in the higher end amps that are less likely to be used by those folks who seem to get in trouble. I know of a lot of users why struggle w/ the Crown amps & DSP. I get service phone calls all the time and just refer them back to Crown. Don't need that crap, nor are they willing to pay to get it sorted out either.

I agree, BUT watts and DSP are seemingly cheaper to produce by the day and help sell the amp, especially to the low end client who's looking for the most cone ripping power and as many bells as whistles as they can get for the buck. ... They can't tell you why they need it, but the marketing departments fill in that void.

• Members

That's how the Yamaha is configured, and the crossover is also adjustable. I think it's a really nice feature set, but they're much heavier than these new lightweights.

Yeah....I like that feature on my Yamaha PS5000 amps.:thu:

I am sure that I can get by with a singular 100hz frequency as long as I am losing 11 lbs over a PS7000 at 26.5 lbs.:)

• Members

on the page with the specs it shows the new amps crossover as being the same as the 3 and 5. I have two GX5s and a 3. The built in crossover is nice when I'm just running a small system and can power the whole thing on just one amp and go with the generic 100hz point. I'll have a small DJ system out like that this evening using the GX3.

I think I'll definitely be getting one of these new ones ASAP

• Members

So I have a couple of GX3's that weigh 27 lbs each and now the highest power unit weighs under 16 lbs? How did they do that?

I see the gx7 is being sold for $599.

http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equipment/Audio-Power-Amplifiers/QSC-Audio/GX7.xhtml

Even peavey is releasing ones around 7 lbs. for $399

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IPR3000

At the same price as the gx7 it includes DSP

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IPRdsp3000

Its amazing that amps that run in these wattage rattings weigh more than the eqs we used in the 80s!

Dookietwo

• Members

So I have a couple of GX3's that weigh 27 lbs each and now the highest power unit weighs under 16 lbs? How did they do that?

They are using the Powerlight power supply and I would believe that Andy nailed the Aluminum chassis as another part of it.

• Members

Supporting DSP to the masses is a frustrating experience. Multiply it by a lot of amps sold and it's easier to send them to a call center in India
;)

do you think that improperly used DSP has resulted in more problems than people not having any sort of processing at all? Like amps with no limiters built in and such. A QSC Model 1400 that i was once using for monitors comes to mind.

• Members

do you think that improperly used DSP has resulted in more problems than people not having any sort of processing at all? Like amps with no limiters built in and such. A QSC Model 1400 that i was once using for monitors comes to mind.

It's the programmability and configurability. Limiters should be always on, HPF's should be always on switchable between say 25 or 30Hz and 50Hz.

• Members
It's the programmability and configurability. Limiters should be always on, HPF's should be always on switchable between say 25 or 30Hz and 50Hz.

splitting hairs probably, but I'd like to see a low-cut option of 40hz. Seems like it would be perfect for a lot of subs in the weekend warrior area.

• Members

understood. what i meant is do you notice a difference now that we have all of this technology that has the potential to be mis-applied in a destructive manner as compared to the days when amps didn't do anything other than amplify

i guess back then the technology still existed in one form or another but was maybe not as available to those that would use it wrong

Archived