How to flip an acoustic guitar from right handed to left handed?

samal50

• Members

addition to above:

yes intonation is important, but its much less noticeable on an accoustic than on an electric, a bad intonated electric sounds horrible

on an accoustic its more important how hard you press the strings to the fretboard and some minor intonation issue can be compensated with it, at least for single notes

playing chords in the upper register on an accoustic never worked well for me and i cannot blame intonation for it :)

• Members
I tried it but came across some problems; when I flipped the nut it was clearly slotted to be made as for a right handed guitar. Should I buy a non slotted nut and cut it my self or buy a nut for a left handed? The bridge was also problematic because it was slightly angled from high to low, so when I switched it upside down, it's a bit unstable, but somewhat doable than the issue with the nut. Lastly, do I use super glue to glue the nut and bridge to the guitar body, right?

I called up Guitar Center and they told me that a steel string guitar (like the one I'm attempting to switch from right handed to left handed) is problematic than a classical guitar. The person at Guitar Center said that classical guitars have straight bridge and not angled. I believe the nut would also be evenly cut as well for the nylon strings to fit, unlike steel strings, they come too big. Should I try using nylon strings then?

Some people just turn the guitar over and leave the strings where they were.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

would it not sound the same? the lower E would be on the bottom? I have another cheap acoustic (First Act) that I stringed upside down. It's a right handed guitar but when I turn it upside down it turns into a left handed guitar (string-wise).

Archived