Bass drum mics

• Members

Sorry if this has been discussed to death. :deadhorse:

Just wondering, what's your favorite bass drum mic for live sound. Also, who among you put the mic all the way in the drum, and who places it a little away from the outside of the head. Your favorite bass drum mic technique is ?

• Members

Coaster, I know you have an answer to this question... Stopping at sarcasm just makes you look rude, whereas following up sarcasm with a legitimate answer makes it clear you're only kidding. Even just "I prefer a 52" after your last post would have made a difference. I don't mean to get into the discussion of politeness again, but this irked me. I know you're not a rude person and I don't want this to sound like an attack.

• Members

Well, since no-one else has responded, I'll get the ball rolling. I've been researching drum mics for the last month or two, and this week, I finally took the plunge. I've currently got three kick mics; an ElectroVoice PL-33, which is part of their 7-piece drum-mic kit;

http://www.electrovoice.com/sitefiles/downloads/PL33%20EDS.pdf

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Electro-Voice-PL-DK7-Drum-Mic-Pack?sku=272226&src=3WDTWXX&ZYXSEM=0

I also just bought the ElectroVoice N/D868, which seems to get very favourable reviews at ProSoundWeb and Gearslutz (recording forum);

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Electro-Voice-N-D868-Kick-Drum-Microphone?sku=271222

and, I also bought a Sennheiser e902;

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sennheiser-evolution-e902-Dynamic-Kick-Drum-Microphone?sku=270859

All of these mics were purchased this week, and I haven't had time to try them out yet, so I'm not in a position to offer personal experience or a valid opinion, but, I can tell you that I did quite a bit of research before opting for these particular mics. The exception there, is the PL-33 kick-mic, which came with the 7-piece kit. I've not been able to find out much about this mic, nor are my expectations high, since I already have the e902 and ND868 to turn to anyway. My intention is, to use this kit for jams/practices, etc. The other mics in the kit, did seem to get very favourable reviews, especially the PL-35 tom mics. The PL-37 small-diaphragm condenser o'head mics in that kit, were routinely described as being "surprisingly good performers, especially considering the price".

My higher-end kit includes AKG-C-451's for o'heads, Senn MD 421's for floor toms, Senn e904's for rack-toms, Shure SM-57 for snare, and either the e902 or ND868 for kick.

Other kick mics I'd like to add eventually, would include the ElectroVoice RE-20

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=91

and the AudioTechnica ATM 250DE

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/c45c0dda459dad08/index.html/

• Members

My favorite is still the Shure Beta 52. I especially like using it in combination with a Beta91, with the 91 sitting in the drum and the 52 just outside the hole. If I'm using just the 52, I'll usually start with it just inside the hole and move around as necessary to get more attack or thump. For smaller, jazz type kicks, I like a Sennheiser MD421 or Beyer M88.

• Members

My experience with this is pretty limited so I just followed what seemed to be the general consensus. I use a Beta52 mounted right in front about 2" out. I'd like to try placing it in the hole but the 52 is a bit heavy. Seems like the stand always slips a bit. I would also like to try the Beta 91/52 combination or a Beyer m88. For now, I have no complaints.

• Members

I've only used the AKG D112, AKG D12E, Shure Beta 52, and Audix D6. (eww, & helped using a Nady "kick" mic once, a VERY bad thing) The D12E was my favorite on my 22x16 Tama Rockstar Pro bass drum (abt 1990's) and decent on my Pearl Sessions 22x18. BUT for my Pearl Masters MMX 20x16, the D12E sucked. The D6 works the best with that bass drum. Yes, heads and tuning make a difference but my tuning methods and favorite head combos remain the same.

I always either place the mic partially inside a reso hole, on a blanket/pad inside, or in an insiide mount. The D6 head was in the hole til recently.Iinstalled a Kelly Shu composite mount a couple months back.

The AKGD112 does have that classic arena rock tuning, works fine if that is a sound you are happy with. The Shure Beta 52 is a good all pupose/all music styles kick mic.

Boomerweps

• Members

I personally use a D6 outside w/B91A inside that I just picked up last week. Sounds very good. The D6 gives me bottom and click - the B91A gives me even more click.

But, I think one of the best ways to determine "your" favorite mic is to research some shootouts that were done w/the same kick in the same room. It's doubtful that you'll get all the contenders in one test...but it's better than dropping $ on mics that you've never even heard before. This is how I selected the NT5's as my overheads. Set a budget, then looked at shootouts, then got a really good deal!

Some popular* mics are:

Beyer M88, EV 868, EV RE20, Senn e902 (possibly w/e901 too), B52A, D112, D12, Heil PR40, AT2500, etc. And then you have others who use 421's or other non-traditional mics...and still get excellent results. I have samples of most of the kick mics I've mentioned, if you'd like me to send them to you.

*Note - Not all these mics mentioned maybe be suitable for live sound.

• Members

The D6 is OK, as is the B52 (I prefer the former, as it does not accentuate the drone of the drum as much. These days I use the PR40. Its proximity boost seems to be at a lower frequency than other mics, which may be why it seems easier to get just the low end that one wants from the drum.

• Members

I've heard about the D6 issue with wind turbulence as well. I've also heard that can apply to some of the older (but not orginal) beyerdynamic M88's. Urban myths? Don't know for sure.

To the OP, the Shure Beta 52 is a good all around mic. I've used it quite a bit. But my favourite combo that I've heard (but not used) is the Beta 52 with a shure 91 inside the drum. Best of both worlds, to my ears.

Apparently the dual "element" Audiotechnica achieves similar results to the Shure combo.

And just 'cause I know the D112 is Coaster's favourite mic I'll make mention of it.

Mixed a 60's/Beatles band recently where the drummer had a very small kick drum, no hole. I used a D112 on his kick and it sounded great - well at least it sounded like a 60's kick, maybe that isn't great but it was the right sound :)

• Members

If you only have one mic, a D6 in the port-hole.

If you have two channels on the board... D6 (port-hole) and a Beta91 mid-way into the drum, rested on the pillow (captures the slap).

I've tried the AKG D112, and didn't like the "sound". Though many people do like it's "sound". Also tried the Beta 52, and it was 'okay'. I find the Audix D6 to be more "fat/round". But that's just a personal preference...

• Members

For my current system with rock bands I seem to run the mic inside the hole and point it at the beater. Mics I seem to go to most of the time are the ATM 250, harder bands in need of a real slap in the face click I chuck the Audix D-6 in there. When I am running a soft rock band that just needs a easy little thump the AKG D112 gets a run.

• Members

I always either place the mic partially inside a reso hole, on a blanket/pad inside, or in an insiide mount. The D6 head was in the hole til recently.Iinstalled a Kelly Shu composite mount a couple months back.

Boomerweps

We did the same thing with our drummer's Mapex kick. Mounted the Shu up near the beater and put a Beta 52 on it and it sounded great. We will probably play around with adding a second mic in the hole just to see what happens.

• Members

Best drum mic will be determine by the amount of money you want to spend on a the best kick mic.

My wallet likes Audix D6 and Shure Beta 52 but I personally I love Earthworks better but my wallet disagrees with what I personally like.

• Members

Anyone use wharfedale kick mic? Read some good stuff on it, but I dunno....

Buy one and do a review I know with the D6 and Beta 52 there's plenty of reviews from best mic ever to {censored}tiest mic ever. IME getting a awesome kick all depends on the kick drum that's being used determines the outcome of a so so kick sound to a awesome kick sound.

• Members

I got my hands on two old Sennheiser MD421's with the bass rolloff selector switch. I knew a guy who used two: one with the bass rolloff set to "OFF" and the other with it cutting most of the lows. He got a nice thump out of the first one and then the second one he used to get a bit more attack. I was suprised that it sounded as well as it did, actually.

• Members

The ATM 250. Who makes this ? And btw, we gigged on Saturday. Both the drummer and I forgot our drums mics, so we cobbled together mics for the drums from what we had available. We used an Audix I-5 for the kick and an SM-57 for the snare. Both are known as moderately priced general purpose mics. The I-5 has a bit more proximity effect so I thought it would be better for the kick drum. We didn't have time to try out which would be better, so we just went with this. It was fine ( but maybe not great ), and with the "aux fed subs", provided plenty of low end thump with the beater click still being able to be heard. Next time, we'll try out the difference between my Beta 52 and the drummer's D-6.

Archived