Bass drum mics

• Members

ATM25 is also my favorite kick mic. I just couldn't get enough people to use it to justify keeping it. Everyone wanted the sound of the Audix or B52 even though I knew the ATM25 sounded much more natural. If I did more jazz or acoustic music I would have kept it but I live in area of rock bands so it didn't come out much.

• Members

hey, we agree on something. +1 on ATM25 - also my favorite kick mic.

i like the EV N D868 but often i find it a dark sounding mic. it does have some snap to it, but it is not overbearing. perhaps it is just not a hyped top end, a darker color. usually i can get enough snap out of it but once in a while i cannot.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Sorry to resurrect this, but I would appreciate your thoughts on a kick mic. 18" kick with no hole, tuned "big," relatively speaking. MRX 512M tops, MRX 518 subs. We play mostly classic rock with some modern rock and funk mixed in.

• Members

Sorry to resurrect this, but I would appreciate your thoughts on a kick mic. 18" kick with no hole, tuned "big," relatively speaking. MRX 512M tops, MRX 518 subs. We play mostly classic rock with some modern rock and funk mixed in.

too vague. we dont know what the drum sounds like/what you are going for. who knows? try one and see what you like/dont like and report back.

• Members
careful with the d6 partially in the hole; apparently the rush of air has a tendency to break the microphone. yep, yet another reason to dislike the d6.

We used to use the AKG D112 but its life was short. Knock on wood but the D6 has been going strong and loud for more than six years now. I have had great luck with all things Audix.

• Members

I love my ATM 25. I picked up 3 of them before they stopped production.

I never see any love for the e 602? I heard it the other night in a club and it sounded amazing. The tech said it was his personal favorite.

• Members

Just like the Beta 52, had to use the pad. We were dialing it in last weekend and my guitarist is like, "What's that click?" So it picks up the beater a lot better than the Beta 52 as well as the low end. I think I'm getter a better overall kick sound with the e902 than the Beta 52; the lows seem similar but the e902 just seems to have a broader sound. Initially, I was just using the EQ settings of the Beta 52, needed very little tweaking from there.

• Members

If you only have one mic, a D6 in the port-hole.

If you have two channels on the board... D6 (port-hole) and a Beta91 mid-way into the drum, rested on the pillow (captures the slap).

I've tried the AKG D112, and didn't like the "sound". Though many people do like it's "sound". Also tried the Beta 52, and it was 'okay'. I find the Audix D6 to be more "fat/round". But that's just a personal preference...

I have had almost exactly the same experience (prefer the D6), so I won't bother typing the exact same thing as dcaster ;) +1

• Members

too vague. we dont know what the drum sounds like/what you are going for. who knows? try one and see what you like/dont like and report back.

The drum sounds like an 18" Gretsch Catalina maple kick tuned so that there's minimal ringing. It's not dead, but it doesn't sound like a jazz kick either.

I'm looking for punch, mostly.

• Members

My current favourite is a Sennheiser e901 inside and a Heil PR48 in the hole. Sounds awesome! :)

Great air rush from the 48, loads of sub from both mics, and great attack from the 901.

Some others I've tried:

Beyer M88 - really nice on its own, tried it combined with a 901 and it was ridiculously OTT, would probably work awesomely for metal, but just had far to much top end from both mics combined for what I was needing at the time.

Shure Beta91 - I love the sub on these, but they make the drum sound too much like a woodblock (hence why I prefer the 901, same deal, less woodblock). 91 and 52 is THE standard combination and you can't go far wrong with it.

Shure Beta52 - standard kick drum sound, experiment with placement, either in the hole, or fully inside if you're only single mic'ing. I like it right in the hole no matter what though.

EV RE20 - great Mic, sounds great combined with a 901 inside, when I can afford it I'm definitely planning to get the new RE320.

Audix D6 - great if you have a pretty shoddy sounding drum or just can't be bothered. Makes everything sound like an Audix kick drum, would probably work if you mic'ed up a guy kicking a door. Makes floor toms sound great, if a little OTT.

Sennheiser e902/602 - their take on a 52, works pretty much the same. The 602 being a budget version, but both work pretty well.

Audio Technica ATM25 - not used it a great deal really, very scooped sounding already though, hasn't ever let me down though, always got something useable or better.

AKG D112 - no thanks, I have a door stop already. ;)

I can never fathom why these are EVERYWHERE.

MOST IMPORTANTLY!!

When using two mics, make sure you play around with positioning and phase alignment. This makes an absolutely HUGE difference to the sound. Keep checking the phase reverse, before you EQ, after you EQ, while the band are playing together. Sometimes it's obvious straight from the start, sometimes it's hard to decide which way round is best, so try moving the mic as well, just a little, forward or backward.

• Members

My current favourite is a Sennheiser e901 inside and a Heil PR48 in the hole. Sounds awesome!
:)

Shure Beta91 - I love the sub on these, but they make the drum sound too much like a woodblock (hence why I prefer the 901, same deal, less woodblock). 91 and 52 is THE standard combination and you can't go far wrong with it.

Audix D6 - great if you have a pretty shoddy sounding drum or just can't be bothered. Makes everything sound like an Audix kick drum, would probably work if you mic'ed up a guy kicking a door. Makes floor toms sound great, if a little OTT.

The D6 isn't just for "bad sounding kicks." I have a very good sounding Delite kick, and I love my D6. If I want more click, I add the Beta 91A (slightly different than B91 and SM91). I can get my kick to sound like a metal drummer's kick...or I can mellow it out for pop music. A few times, I've used my B91A by itself for irish folk music. Cut some of the highs and it had plenty of low end. Sounded really good.

I'd prefer it over the e901 just because the 901 doesn't not fit in every kick hole. It's a little to wide (blunder by Sennheiser).

And, I also hate the D112.

• Members

I wouldn't say it's just for shoddy kicks. What some people don't seem to like is that it's very consistent. It does lend towards a "audix rock kick" sound, but if that's what you're looking for, then... I personally like the sound of a D6 over anything else I've heard, but it's preference. I have gotten a great sound of out of an e902 on the resonant head with a 57 on the beater side. Play around with phasing and you get a very nice kick sound.

Archived