Between a rock and a hard place - a game (The Police edition)

• Members

I was thinking maybe Lindsey Buckingham could pull off the Police gig as another idea. Bruce Cockburn, too.

nat

Never thought of those two. Cockburn maybe a bit too deep for that crew...I don't think Sting is quite as deep as he think he are. I think Pat could have brought a dimension to the guitar work Andy couldn't get his head around.

That said....I love Andy Summers guitar playing......I think he laid back a lot in that band. He had a lot more tools he didn't display.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you about Pete being primarily a rhythm guitarist - not that there's anything wrong with that - rhythm guitar is extremely important and doesn't get the props it deserves IMO. But as far as who the lead player was in the Who? I'd say it was the Ox. Entwistle played bass a lot like a lead guitarist.

• Members

So who would you give the ax to in the Police?

It's too late to back out of the thread now - I've already seen you here, and the rules say you HAVE to pick someone to kick out of the band... :D

oh, gawd Phil, sorry..just saw this..forgot the rules..I guess I would cut out Dear Andy, as much as I love him...replacement?

I know this sounds weird, but Mark Knopler, Neil Giraldo, David Lindley, and Elliot Eastman come to mind...oh and Robert Nesta Marleys guitarist, ( one of a few) Al Anderson, could do a great job on the reggae style Police tunes.

oh, gawd Phil, sorry..just saw this..forgot the rules..I guess I would cut out Dear Andy, as much as I love him...replacement?

I know this sounds weird, but Mark Knopler, Neil Giraldo, David Lindley, and Elliot Eastman come to mind...oh and Robert Nesta Marleys guitarist, ( one of a few) Al Anderson, could do a great job on the reggae style Police tunes.

I like your suggestions! Here's another one I just thought of - How about replacing him with longtime James Brown guitarist Jimmy Nolen?

• Members

I like your suggestions! Here's another one I just thought of - How about replacing him with longtime James Brown guitarist Jimmy Nolen?

Oh, hellya!

wot a concept...Mr. 'Chicken Scratch' himself.

me likey!

I always loved his playing..I still have the Willie and the Hand Jive 45 by Johnny Otis..I'm pretty sure that was Mr. Nolen playing that mesmerizing rythym/lead on that song.

I think he was with Otis before Brown.

Oh, hellya!

wot a concept...Mr. 'Chicken Scratch' himself.

me likey!

I always loved his playing..I still have the Willie and the Hand Jive 45 by Johnny Otis..I'm pretty sure that was Mr. Nolen playing that mesmerizing rythym/lead on that song.

I think he was with Otis before Brown.

Yes, briefly - he played with Johnny Otis for only a couple of years... but that is his distinctive playing on Willie and the Hand Jive.

I think he would have been an interesting guitarist in the Police.

Another possibility? Chic guitarist Nile Rodgers.

• Members

Yes, briefly - he played with Johnny Otis for only a couple of years... but that is his distinctive playing on Willie and the Hand Jive.

I think he would have been an interesting guitarist in the Police.

Another possibility? Chic guitarist Nile Rodgers.

Nile Rogers is so versatile..yeah I could see that working. 👍

• 2 months later...
  • Members

oh, Snap!

Was listening to Mick Fleetwood’s incredible drumming today...

This is a farking masterpiece..Mick has it all, and could put Stewart to task, even though I love his drumming too.

but Mick kicks major Culito on this performance.

Archived