Between a rock and a hard place - a game (The Police edition)

• Members

That would work with a new "Police", but we're talking The Police. In concert, when it came time for "The Greatest Hits", I don't think he could pull it off satisfactorily. Kinda resembles the questions about the new"Fleetwood Mac".

I'd agree with Copeland, Visually impossible, Sonically easy.

I take the exercise to imagine the band without this member from the beginning. Not just replacing a member in order to go out and play the hits.

So in the case of removing either Copeland or Summers, you'd have to imagine what any other drummer or guitarist would have done with that same material and what would have been the result.

I could see The Edge being there and giving the songs a similar interesting textual character, although the result would have been very different.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take the exercise to imagine the band without this member from the beginning. Not just replacing a member in order to go out and play the hits.

So in the case of removing either Copeland or Summers, you'd have to imagine what any other drummer or guitarist would have done with that same material and what would have been the result.

That's pretty much how I understood the concept behind the game when it was explained to me originally too.

• Members

Yes he is.

With a god-awful, nails on chalkboard voice. IMHO of course.

Ive tried so hard so many times to get into Rush but just can’t get past that voice. I think I hate it more now than I did back in the day because now it sounds horrible AND dated.

If they had ever done an instrumental album, I’d probably love it.

I would replace Copeland with Bill Cosby.

Think about it.

I'll give you credit for thinking waay outside the box, but you're trying waay too hard - your (now deleted) Keanu Reeves suggestion (and graphic) were much funnier.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"big_keanu-reeves.jpg?v=1515971934.jpg","data-attachmentid":32209784}[/ATTACH]

Think about it.

• Members

Yeah, since you have to cut someone...sorry, Andy, you're the cull. I always felt a lot of creativity sprang from the tension between Copeland and Sting. Kept the band from drifting into Sting's schmaltzier tendencies.

And I'd replace Andy with.....hmmmm......Al Di Meola? Johnny Greenwood?? Larry Carlton??? Would have to have tryouts to decide I think.

BTW - I took my daughter to see The Police in Dallas at the American Airlines Center, the 2007 reunion tour. I have to say, in this new millennium where the average level of musicianship in pop/rock has dropped so markedly, it was infinitely satisfying to watch and listen to three truly top-notch musicians work the trio format to perfection. So many good songs and the chops to bring them fully to life. Kind of rare these days, no? Made me feel like I took them way too much for granted back in the day.

nat

• Members

Keith Moon was really the Lead player in that band. Even Pete copped to being essentially a rhythm guitarist. Moonie filled all the spaces that needed filling, IMHO anyway. I thought Baker was great. Bream would not have been Cream without his loud, busy butt. I don't think Bonham overplayed at all.

• Members
I guess I'd have to give the ax to Andy, And replace him with Pat Metheny. That may sounds nutz....

Not nutz at all - Metheny is about as versatile as they come.

I find, in general, the Metheny-haters don't really listen to him. They tend to lump him in with the soft/smooth jazz thing from the 70s-90s. Bob James, Fourplay, et al. Which I don't care for at all, but I am a long-standing Metheny fan.

Metheny did come out playing that chorused jazz electric sound, and that sound causes a certain number of people to slam the dial off instantly. He's moved way on from that sound, but you know how people get labeled and the listening stops there.

I was thinking maybe Lindsey Buckingham could pull off the Police gig as another idea. Bruce Cockburn, too.

nat

Archived