Guitar Center Faces Imminent Bankruptcy After 59 Years In Business

• Members

Well...I certainly don't expect to go to symphonic concert and see the conductor tell the brass "never mind the score, sit out for 32 measures, and let the strings take it for a while." :) And then two nights later, decide to start with the 2nd movement because the audience was in a little more of an allegro mood, then change the tempo halfway though the and go into the 1st movement because the audience seems a bit more chill.

Yes, a tempo change is a tempo change, and an instrument dropping out is an instrument dropping out, but I really don't see playing from a score and improvising as the same thing. When it's composed, you know when these changes are going to happen. When it's improvised, it's based on what's happening at the spur of the moment, and will not be done the same way twice.

I've heard lots of different versions of the Brandenburgs and aside from some versions that I feel take it too fast, they pretty much do the same things at the same time.

I don't see playing from the score and improv as the same either, and didn't at any point try to make them seem so. It's just that one way or the other the effect of the devices mentioned is roughly the same and whether they were used one way or another doesn't change things any to me.

• Members

Yeah, I agree with that. It's just that working with DJs has made me much more open not to follow a roadmap in the process of creating those effects.

Cool. :)

I get that the approach is altogether different. I think it's conceivable though, maybe, that someone could program a song to be DJ like in style and fairly etch it in stone, or even perhaps compose such music and commit it to notation. Then from an audience's perspective, if they weren't told one way or the other that it was 3 months in the making and predetermined or happening on the fly, building to a sudden drop, tempo changes, crescendo, decrescendo, etc. all would have their usual effect irrespective of the compositional process.

I'm a linear kind of guy myself and often have the end in mind as I'm fleshing out the beginning. I can and do improvise as a sort of search process, but once I'm onto something there's an unerring destiny from there. Ultimately I'm way more composer I suppose than improviser when it comes to putting together the whole picture, as it were. I'm rarely if never into surprises on my side of the stage, but can probably plan a few for the audience and manage to look surprised.

But, I've also sat in with bands whose songs I didn't know at all and totally winged it the whole way. Sometimes some magic happens that way and I'm hip to how cool that can be. And it's really good for the intuition-anticipation section of the brain. :thu:

• Members
GC and Gibson will fall. Its just a matter of time.

Bad business decisions, overreaching, archaic mindsets can no longer survive the brutal reality that guitars are no longer relevant. I know that is going to rub a lot of people the wrong way but kids today are making records on their iPads using VIs. The game has changed.

not all kids; there are literally hundreds of talented kids playing stuff like this on youtube

• Members

Even though I still agree with my mother that the piano is the instrument to know if you want to understand the concepts of making music, it's easy to see why the guitar is such a popular instrument. It's lightweight, easily transportable, loud (with the right amp) and you can cover probably 90% of the songs that are known to man with one. I might even argue that the most popular music for bands and music event attendees is still guitar based. I've been fascinated by them myself ever since the Beatles first appeared on TV when I was three and I have a respectable little collection of them.

• Members

Since we drifted into DJs my take:

Musicians who play chromatic or diatonic instruments are to DJs

as

Painter or pastel artists are to Collage artists

DJs and Collage artists can make works of art, but the go about it in a different way. The painter uses brushes or chalk to draw every line while the collage artist uses samples and adheres them to the 'canvas' and sometimes adds brush and/or chalk strokes of his or her own as well.

If you like it, it's good for you.

Me? The only concerts I go to anymore are symphony orchestras, and only if they play romantic to contemporary pieces that I think I'd like.

To get back on topic

Violins used to be the most popular instrument to play, so did trumpets, saxophones, and guitars. But every instrument has its peaks and valleys. We just came off a guitar peak, they aren't dead, they aren't going to die, but they are not at the peak they once were and won't be back real soon. After that, who knows?

Insights and incites by Notes.

Archived